Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Basil's back problems are actually hip problems...

+3
Not Afraid
Sara
Puglove2
7 posters

Go down

Basil's back problems are actually hip problems... Empty Basil's back problems are actually hip problems...

Post  Puglove2 5/5/2010, 3:47 pm

Well, a while back, I took Basil to the vet because I thought he hurt his back. He wasn't jumping up on the couch or going up the stairs very well. He went for an exam and the vet thought it was a back or neck strain. He was put on some Metacam, which seemed to help, but I still noticed his getting up from a down position was a bit of a struggle and going up the stairs seemed to be a struggle, too. So, today I took him back and another vet did the exam. He had no pain whatsoever along his spine, but seemed to wince when his hips were checked. She did x-rays of his l-spine and hips and knees. Turns out that my poor little lemon has hip dysplasia on the right hip, which showed up on the x-ray. He's going to go back on Metacam for a week and we are adding Glucosamine to his diet. He is already active and is an ideal weight, so I will just have to watch his food intake. It's so hard to figure out what's wrong with these little guys. Wish they could talk. Anyone have any personal experience with hip dysplasia?
Puglove2
Puglove2

Number of posts : 1943

Back to top Go down

Basil's back problems are actually hip problems... Empty Re: Basil's back problems are actually hip problems...

Post  Sara 5/5/2010, 3:50 pm

I don't have any experience, but it sounds like you have your basis covered with the supplements, correct healthy weight, etc. I hope it doesn't bother him much.

I've been told CP has mild hip dysplasia (from an xray), but we've been on supplements for awhile and I haven't seen it ever bother her.
Sara
Sara

Number of posts : 4083

Back to top Go down

Basil's back problems are actually hip problems... Empty Re: Basil's back problems are actually hip problems...

Post  Not Afraid 5/5/2010, 5:03 pm

Thurston has mild hip dysplasia but we haven't had any issue with it since he got his LP fixed. I give both my dogs glucosamine supplements (it is in the Missing Link they get with every meal). Other than that, I was told to keep him active and keep his weight down.
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Number of posts : 5095

Back to top Go down

Post  Eph91 5/5/2010, 5:09 pm

Two of my labs growing up had it; the first (I was 3 at the time) was treated w/ surgery--which I'm sure is completely unadvised and outdated. The other, we just basically did what you're doing. He got arthritis in his old age (many labs do), but he lived to an old age for a lab (13). Basil's back problems are actually hip problems... 335895 You take such great care of your crew--Basil is a lucky boy!
Eph91
Eph91

Number of posts : 2839

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch 5/5/2010, 7:31 pm

No experience, just lots of good wishes your treatment is all he ever needs! Basil's back problems are actually hip problems... 335895
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira 5/5/2010, 9:58 pm

Indy had it and had surgery for it, it was the reason he was turned into the rescue. Our vet happens to be the same one who operated on him, and he said it was very bad, especially at such a young age. I didn't have him before the surgery so I am not sure what the symptoms were, but he is doing great now! We still keep his weight down and give him (and the rest) joint supplements.
Saira
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee 5/5/2010, 10:54 pm

Ichiro has a mild case, which we expected, since he is from a puppy mill. We just watch him. It doesn't seem to hold him back yet....but, he is only 6.
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 5/7/2010, 2:38 pm

aw, poor Basil! i am sorry to hear. Back and hip problems are no fun, but at least its not her back. i hope everything will be ok!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down