Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Advice for Feeding a Sick Pug, Please

+19
FurSprinklers
lindarpugma
TNPUGMOMOF3
LisaIzzyAggy
pugmom32003
Snifter&Toddy
PugLady3
sallyandtilly
Miss Pugg
smoochieface
pugasaurus
Rebecca and the Pugs
pugpillow
Aussie Witch
Renee
MommaJones
MandyPug
northernwitch
Millie'sMichael
23 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Advice for Feeding a Sick Pug, Please Empty Advice for Feeding a Sick Pug, Please

Post  Millie'sMichael 2/1/2011, 10:25 pm

Hi friends. I'm in need of your wise counsel again. I haven't wanted to talk a lot about this, but Millie has been very sick for a couple of weeks. Here's the shortest version I can tell... She was diagnosed with the early stages of kidney failure in January. Then (unrelated) she had a dental during which almost all of her teeth were removed. The trouble started when we tried to switch her food to a kidney treatment food. She loved the new food, and I may have made the switch too quickly. It seemed so easy. Well, she got a terribly upset stomach with diarrhea and vomiting. In the middle of that, she got an infection in her mouth at the site of one of the tooth extractions. That infection caused a lot of swelling in her face, which caused an infected sore in her nose roll. Then, of course, she became dehydrated. So she had to spend a couple of days in the hospital last week so that she could be hydrated and have both the infection and the stomach issues treated simultaneously.

That brings us up to date. The stomach issues are resolved. The infection in her mouth and on her face is very slowly getting better. The swelling is going down a bit. But now she doesn't want to eat anything...except chicken. I have tried all kinds of canned and dry food, green beans, baby food, cheap fatty puppy food...you name it. She only wants chicken. So here's my question. The doctor says that Millie is playing me for a fool and that I should give her some chicken and some dog food and just wait her out until she decides to eat the dog food. I find that so hard to do when I know she is sick and hungry, so I end up giving her more chicken. What should I do? Should I just give her a little chicken and keep putting down the dog food and then throwing it away after it gets nasty? I really hate this.

Sorry this is so long. We're in a fix.
Millie'sMichael
Millie'sMichael

Number of posts : 298

Back to top Go down

Advice for Feeding a Sick Pug, Please Empty Re: Advice for Feeding a Sick Pug, Please

Post  northernwitch 2/1/2011, 10:32 pm

Well, crap, Michael. You've both been having a hard go of it. She may be playing you for a fool, but she's got some good reasons to given what's been happening to her. I can tough love a dog around food for a bit--but it's hard to do and you have to feel okay about doing it. There's nothing inherently wrong with her eating chicken,except it's not total nutrition.

Can you mush the chicken into canned food for a bit and decrease the amount of chicken? Will she drink chicken broth--you could flood her food with chicken stock and see how it goes. I have a hard time with a sick dog telling if I'm being played or if they really are just completely freaked out and now associate the food with the illness--which can happen.

Have you tried some rice pablum? I can usually get a dog to eat that with some chicken or canned chicken baby food and then gradually add in her kidney diet stuff.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Advice for Feeding a Sick Pug, Please Empty Re: Advice for Feeding a Sick Pug, Please

Post  MandyPug 2/1/2011, 10:38 pm

Canned tripe. Full of nutrients and rather stinky, but i use it on the sick/scared/stressed dogs at the humane society all the time no problem when they're not eating.

I like the Tripett brand but Before Grain by Merricks and Solid Gold also has tripe.
MandyPug
MandyPug

Number of posts : 830

Back to top Go down

Post  MommaJones 2/1/2011, 11:08 pm

It sounds like it's been a rough month for you and Millie. I'm sorry to hear it.

So is the goal to get her to eat the kidney treatment food? Is is it kibble or canned? I feed The Jones Boys kibble with a couple spoonfuls of ground turkey/rice/peas/carrots. I make it in a large batch and freeze them in weekly sized portions. Then I just add a couple of spoonfuls on top of their kibble. They think it's a super, special treat. Would something like that work for Millie? Make a batch of that and add it to her kidney food? Just be sure that none of those ingredients are bad for her. I use the 93/7 lean ground turkey. There's virtually no grease and I rinse in hot water after cooking before adding the rice/veggies.
MommaJones
MommaJones

Number of posts : 3761

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee 2/1/2011, 11:24 pm

I am so sorry to hear this. No fun at all. Poor Miss Millie, and poor you.

I recently went through a battle of the wills on a food strike with my foster. He had just been surrendered, and two days later we put him under for a lump removal and a deep clean of sores (allergy related) covering his face and random parts of his body. He went two weeks without eating hardly a thing. It worried me.., but I knew I needed to wait him out.

He did eat the baby food, just the chicken or turkey stage 1 baby food.

He now happily eats (mostly) his kibble, which I water down and top with a generous scoop of Wellness 95% turkey or chicken. He will not touch it if I do not add that canned chicken.

I'm not sure the dietary limitations for kidney failure... so I would not want to encourage you to give her something she doesn't like, but since she likes the chicken so much, maybe try the Wellness 95%. And, very slowly add kibble. It helped when I hand fed (let him eat from a spoon). I would do two bites of pure meat, then one with a few pieces of kibble, then more meat.
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch 2/1/2011, 11:25 pm

Bugger, Michael. My response to being played like a fool in cases like this is "so what?". Let her play you like a violin if she needs to.

But on to the subject of nutrition. I can only relate back to when my darling old LouLou was sick that Christmas I thought it was the end. Her menu was limited to chicken too, but as she began to feel better once the infection was on the run, her menu increased. It may be the same way with sweet Millie. Keep persevering with a wider selection and give it time. You've been given some other great advice here and I am pretty certain our Millie will start to want to expand her diet soon.

A ton of love and hugs to you both. You and your precious Millie are very special to so many of us. hug dog Hug
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  pugpillow 2/1/2011, 11:49 pm

I'm really sorry for what you're both going through. Personally I wouldn't be too concerned about feeding only chicken for a while. There are worse things (and most dog owners serve them!). She will eventually come round. Have you tried chunks of raw meat? Whatever you serve, make sure you add lots of water to help her kidney function. Hugs.
pugpillow
pugpillow

Number of posts : 944

Back to top Go down

Post  Rebecca and the Pugs 2/1/2011, 11:56 pm

Aussie Witch wrote:
A ton of love and hugs to you both. You and your precious Millie are very special to so many of us. hug dog Hug
No advice, but I do want to echo what Rona said.
Rebecca and the Pugs
Rebecca and the Pugs

Number of posts : 2936

Back to top Go down

Post  pugasaurus 2/1/2011, 11:57 pm

I'm with everyone else on this one. Big deal if she plays you for a fool. It sounds like both of you have been through enough these last few weeks, let her have her chicken for a bit longer and see if she eats more as time goes by. Poor baby! I hope she's through the worse.
pugasaurus
pugasaurus

Number of posts : 1117

Back to top Go down

Post  smoochieface 2/2/2011, 1:33 am

Rebecca and the Pugs wrote:
Aussie Witch wrote:
No advice, but I do want to echo what Rona said.

No help from me either but I wanted to heartfully echo their sentiments.
smoochieface
smoochieface

Number of posts : 5123

Back to top Go down

Advice for Feeding a Sick Pug, Please Empty Kidney problems

Post  Miss Pugg 2/2/2011, 1:50 am

Buffy is having the same problems. She does hate her KD tho & as she is so old, the vet said to go along with her & try to get her to eat some other food mixed with the KD. Mac/cheese, other pasta, low protein meat (I haven't figured that one out yet), even gravy. I mix some of this good stuff with her KD and she will slowly and reluctantly eat it. I also add water to the kibble & heat it in the microwave for 30 seconds. She is also getting chicken. She acts so much better now than when she was refusing the KD, both canned and kibble. Good luck!
Miss Pugg
Miss Pugg

Number of posts : 659

Back to top Go down

Post  Millie'sMichael 2/2/2011, 9:02 am

Thanks very much, everybody, for the advice and for the cyber-hug. It has been a rough month for us. I will certainly try the things you all have suggested. I'll keep you posted.

PS... The goal is to get her to eat the kidney dog food eventually, but I will not do it if it causes too much anxiety. As I told the doctor...When it's Millie's time to check out from this life, I want her to go with her dignity intact, her tummy full, and her tail curled.

Last edited by Millie'sMichael on 2/2/2011, 9:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Millie'sMichael
Millie'sMichael

Back to top Go down

Post  pugpillow 2/2/2011, 9:12 am

The reason the vets are anti-meat for failing kidneys is because they think protein is too hard on kidneys. But current research has found that it is not protein itself that is the problem but the quality of the protein. Things like meats filled with sodium (ham, processed meats) would be awful. Plain meat (chunks of beef, turkey etc.) would be fine. I would also stay away from canned or salt-water fish because of the salt content. I would not be feeding pasta and Mac/cheese.
pugpillow
pugpillow

Number of posts : 944

Back to top Go down

Post  sallyandtilly 2/2/2011, 9:55 am

Just want to say I'm sending good thoughts for you and Millie.
sallyandtilly
sallyandtilly

Number of posts : 3150

Back to top Go down

Post  PugLady3 2/2/2011, 10:23 am

I don't have anything to add to the wonderful advice that you've already been given. Just wanted to say that I'm sorry that you & Millie have had such a rough time and I hope that she's feeling better soon. Hug
PugLady3
PugLady3

Number of posts : 2562

http://www.northernillinoispugrescue.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Snifter&Toddy 2/2/2011, 10:34 am

Sending best wishes to you and the lovely Millie.

I personally would keep giving in to the chicken. However I would also try mashing up a little of the kidney food with some warm water to make a thick warm goopy "sauce" and try mixing chunks of chicken with that to see if she will take them. If you can get her more accepting of the taste of the kidney food then you can probably work on the texture (if you want to) and ratio of kidney food to chicken later on.
Snifter&Toddy
Snifter&Toddy

Number of posts : 2071

Back to top Go down

Post  MandyPug 2/2/2011, 11:24 am

MandyPug
MandyPug

Number of posts : 830

Back to top Go down

Advice for Feeding a Sick Pug, Please Empty Renal failure

Post  Miss Pugg 2/2/2011, 1:21 pm

Mandy: On behalf of Buffy, I thank you for those articles. My vet told me to give her chicken skin too which I never thought I should do (don't want pancreatis) but the last article you listed has it as good. I will get some canned tripe whenever we can get out of our town (roads are snowed in & we can't even get out of our driveway). The squash and sweet potatoes sound good too. Buffy just turned up her nose at the plain KD but now I heat it with hot water and add all this stuff, she's eating like she hasn't eaten in days. I sure hope Millie will do the same. They may be old but they're not down yet.
Miss Pugg
Miss Pugg

Number of posts : 659

Back to top Go down

Post  Millie'sMichael 2/2/2011, 2:08 pm

Very interesting articles. And we will have Buffy as our inspiration!
Millie'sMichael
Millie'sMichael

Back to top Go down

Post  pugmom32003 2/2/2011, 2:11 pm

Michael, just adding my hugs & well wishes for Miss Millie. I hope she's back to usual VERY soon!
pugmom32003
pugmom32003

Number of posts : 307

Back to top Go down

Post  LisaIzzyAggy 2/2/2011, 2:40 pm

Hugs to you and Millie. I'm sorry you're going through such a tough time. Hug
LisaIzzyAggy
LisaIzzyAggy

Number of posts : 3001

Back to top Go down

Post  TNPUGMOMOF3 2/2/2011, 3:06 pm

Poor old gal. You know it's bad when a pug won't eat. Her reaction to any fod is like my learned reaction to tequilla shots!! Laughing If that is what made me feel that bad, I want no part of it! Isn't it amazing how quickly she made the association!? She is a smart girl! Took me years!!! rofl Hugs for you both!
TNPUGMOMOF3
TNPUGMOMOF3

Number of posts : 1982

Back to top Go down

Post  lindarpugma 2/2/2011, 8:03 pm

Millie'sMichael wrote:Thanks very much, everybody, for the advice and for the cyber-hug. It has been a rough month for us. I will certainly try the things you all have suggested. I'll keep you posted.

PS... The goal is to get her to eat the kidney dog food eventually, but I will not do it if it causes too much anxiety. As I told the doctor...When it's Millie's time to check out from this life, I want her to go with her dignity intact, her tummy full, and her tail curled.

I also don't have anything to add to the advice given but want to send my support too. I also want to add that I love your PS Michael, I totally agree with your sentiments.

I hope she is eating better and feeling better really soon.
lindarpugma
lindarpugma

Number of posts : 593

Back to top Go down

Post  FurSprinklers 2/2/2011, 8:28 pm

Hugs and prayers being sent your way. I have always loved Miss Millie the first time I seen her photo years ago!
FurSprinklers
FurSprinklers

Number of posts : 675

Back to top Go down

Post  SacramentoPugs 2/2/2011, 8:50 pm

Sending many positive vibes to both of you, Michael. Wishing Millie all the very best.
SacramentoPugs
SacramentoPugs

Number of posts : 1428

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next