Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

feeding banana

+9
Aussie Witch
pugpillow
Tyson&LuLu'sMom
northernwitch
Saira
pugasaurus
Pugsaunt
Renee
PhoebesMommy
13 posters

Go down

feeding banana Empty feeding banana

Post  PhoebesMommy 7/2/2010, 6:33 pm

Hello all! I have another health question. Which seems to be normal for me...sorry. Anyway I am planning a little BBQ tomorrow with a few friends and their dogs are invited as well. We have the whole menu planned out but we figured the dogs need something yummy too. I was going to pick up a box of Sweet Spots (all natural doggy ice cream by Natures Variety) but it only comes in a box of 4 and I will have about 5 dogs there, 3 of which are pugs. Anyway I was looking at different recipes to make dog ice cream at home to save a little money and to have more to go around. most of them had plain non fat yogurt and peanutbutter. then one said to add bananas. well I have 2 bananas sitting on my counter at home that probably should have been eaten yesterday. I was thinking about adding these bananas to the mixture just to use them up, and by the time I get all the brown parts cut off i will probably only have a whole banana left. I had sent my friend a message saying I was gonna make them some of these treats. She replied saying that even though pugs love bananas they are not good for their little tummies because of the acid in them. She said that she read it somewhere and shes not sure where she read it. It makes sense to me that they could be too acidic for them but what about in moderation? ITs not like they would be getting an entire banana all this is gonna do is probably give it a tiny hint of banana to the ice cream. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks in advance!
PhoebesMommy
PhoebesMommy

Number of posts : 901

Back to top Go down

feeding banana Empty Re: feeding banana

Post  Renee 7/2/2010, 6:38 pm

Um...there's acid in bananas?? Never, ever have I heard this. My pugs adore bananas. That doens't mean they are very healthy, since they are high in carbs and natural sugar, but, no I have not heard of acid. I think, in moderation (like everything) bananas would be fine.
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 7/2/2010, 6:40 pm

No, not acidic at all. Penny climbs me like a tree for a piece of banana. And a lot of the doggie frozen yogurts come in banana flavor.
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  PhoebesMommy 7/2/2010, 6:46 pm

Thats what I thought. I wasnt sure if there was acid in bananas or not that I never knew about. So it made sense to me when she told me that. So it would be ok for me to add 2 bananas to this recipe. its calling for 32oz of non fat plain yogurt and a cup of peanutbutter so I know its gonna make a decent amount. Phoebe loves bananas as well. shes more of an apple girl but she will climb me like shes a monkey to get a banana as well.
PhoebesMommy
PhoebesMommy

Back to top Go down

Post  pugasaurus 7/2/2010, 6:47 pm

My guys love bananas! Never caused any tummy issues here. Go for it!
pugasaurus
pugasaurus

Number of posts : 1117

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira 7/2/2010, 6:49 pm

pugasaurus wrote:My guys love bananas! Never caused any tummy issues here. Go for it!

Mine too. I add bananas and peanut butter to yogurt and freeze it for them in the summer and never had an issue. I also give it to them just plain as well (if I am eating one, I give them the brown spots. feeding banana Icon_lol )
Saira
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 7/2/2010, 7:03 pm

The only concern with bananas is the sugar content and you'd really have to feed a heck of alot of banana for it to impact on a dog. Might be an issue with a diabetic dog, but I'm not sure about that.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Tyson&LuLu'sMom 7/2/2010, 7:14 pm

I split a banana between my 3 every night before bed and haven't ever had problems. Sounds like all the dogs will like your homemade ice cream!
Tyson&LuLu'sMom
Tyson&LuLu'sMom

Number of posts : 3776

Back to top Go down

Post  pugpillow 7/2/2010, 10:21 pm

My Betsy is on diuretics for her congestive heart failure. This means she pees a lot and loses a lot of electrolytes. I give her banana regularly to restore the electrolytes, and of course the others get some too. They love them.
pugpillow
pugpillow

Number of posts : 944

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch 7/2/2010, 11:36 pm

Banana fans over here too!
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  jojopugs 7/6/2010, 1:21 am

I make my own frosty paw ice cream with non-fat plain yogurt, peanut butter, and bananas. I blend it in the blender and pour it into ice cube trays and wa-laa, homemade frosty paws! The pugs go nuts over them! I will sometimes even freeze the mix in their kongs, but we only eat that treat outside as it's WAY messy feeding banana Icon_lol
jojopugs
jojopugs

Number of posts : 269

Back to top Go down

Post  Snifter&Toddy 7/6/2010, 2:52 am

Paws up for bananas, say Snifter and Toddy.
Snifter&Toddy
Snifter&Toddy

Number of posts : 2071

Back to top Go down

Post  pugpillow 7/6/2010, 7:06 am

jojopugs wrote:I make my own frosty paw ice cream with non-fat plain yogurt, peanut butter, and bananas. I blend it in the blender and pour it into ice cube trays and wa-laa, homemade frosty paws! The pugs go nuts over them! I will sometimes even freeze the mix in their kongs, but we only eat that treat outside as it's WAY messy feeding banana Icon_lol

Sounds like a great idea. I may try that today in our heat wave as the humidex approaches 44! Maybe I'll give some to the workers who are pouring concrete for our walkway and shed pad - poor guys.
pugpillow
pugpillow

Number of posts : 944

Back to top Go down

Post  papaspugs 7/6/2010, 9:06 am

My pugs love bananas, blueberries, cherries, and pretty much everything. Most everything in moderation is fine.
papaspugs
papaspugs

Number of posts : 2297

Back to top Go down

Post  PhoebesMommy 7/6/2010, 10:14 am

Well they were a big hit! I put them in little bathroom dixie cups. They are actually quite tasty (yes I had to taste the mixture myself to make sure it was good enough for them:)
PhoebesMommy
PhoebesMommy

Back to top Go down

Post  pugmom 7/6/2010, 9:26 pm

All the time I was reading this I thought "that really sounds good!" Then I read that you tasted it to make sure it was good enough for the pugs. LOL Glad it was a big hit.

Oh yes, my pug loves bananas too. Alwlays gets a bite of mine.

Elaine
pugmom
pugmom

Number of posts : 956

Back to top Go down

Post  PhoebesMommy 7/7/2010, 12:12 pm

pugmom wrote:
All the time I was reading this I thought "that really sounds good!" Then I read that you tasted it to make sure it was good enough for the pugs. LOL Glad it was a big hit.

Oh yes, my pug loves bananas too. Alwlays gets a bite of mine.

Elaine

Well of course I had to taste it feeding banana Icon_lol . Its like when you make something for a party you gotta taste it before you take it to the party.
PhoebesMommy
PhoebesMommy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down