Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How many times a day do you feed your pug?

+25
GingerSnap
Snifter&Toddy
Pugsaunt
akc0104
Miss Pugg
lola's mom
BDazzpugs
Lilos Mom
Amber
northernwitch
Saira
Sara
Amanda
Aussie Witch
MommaJones
Pugs4me
Maryjo
dieselsmom
Puglove2
Not Afraid
sallyandtilly
MackandMattiesMom
pugsandkids
Tyson&LuLu'sMom
Newsie96
29 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

How many times a day do you feed your pug? Empty How many times a day do you feed your pug?

Post  Newsie96 6/10/2009, 10:04 am

I feed my boys twice a day and they do just find. My mom tries to feed her pug twice a day and a lot a mornings he's just not interested in earting breakfast, but will eat dinner.

Do you think it's ok for them to feed him just in the evenings? Does anyone do this?

Thanks!
Newsie96
Newsie96

Number of posts : 996

Back to top Go down

How many times a day do you feed your pug? Empty Re: How many times a day do you feed your pug?

Post  Tyson&LuLu'sMom 6/10/2009, 10:18 am

Tyson and LuLu eat twice a day. I don't think they'd be able to handle only once a day.
Tyson&LuLu'sMom
Tyson&LuLu'sMom

Number of posts : 3776

Back to top Go down

How many times a day do you feed your pug? Empty Re: How many times a day do you feed your pug?

Post  pugsandkids 6/10/2009, 11:11 am

I wonder about this. When I was growing up we fed our dogs once a day. So thats what I've always done...I've tried to do twice a day, and its so foreign to me that I often forget the evening meal!
I stick with once a day, I feel bad sometimes, but my dogs are doing great!
pugsandkids
pugsandkids

Number of posts : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 6/10/2009, 11:24 am

Twice a day here, it's all they know so I don't think I could ever do once a day.
I know there are a lot of people who do once a day and their dogs seem just fine, so I don't see the harm in it.

Back to top Go down

Post  MackandMattiesMom 6/10/2009, 11:30 am

Mack and Mattie get fed 2x a day and think they're starving by their next meal. I've actually thought of splitting it up to 3x a day to see if that helps them. I've never fed them once a day, but they would probably think they were dying just because they think they don't eat enough as it is.
MackandMattiesMom
MackandMattiesMom

Number of posts : 2609

Back to top Go down

Post  sallyandtilly 6/10/2009, 11:42 am

Tilly is fed two meals a day BUT she gets treats all day long. She insists on having her apple slice at 9 a.m., her mid morning snack at 10, etc. So, so spoiled is my girl.
sallyandtilly
sallyandtilly

Number of posts : 3150

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid 6/10/2009, 11:55 am

Thurston gets food 2x a day. He knows the words "Breakfast" and "Dinner". I think he'd eat one of the cats if I didn't feed him twice a day.
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Number of posts : 5095

Back to top Go down

Post  Puglove2 6/10/2009, 11:57 am

twice a day here too.
Puglove2
Puglove2

Number of posts : 1943

Back to top Go down

Post  Newsie96 6/10/2009, 11:57 am

Manny is just odd. More times than not, he's rather skip breakfast. I think he may be ok with just being fed at night.
Newsie96
Newsie96

Number of posts : 996

Back to top Go down

Post  dieselsmom 6/10/2009, 1:12 pm

I don't remember why but when I just had the twins, I used to feed them only in the evenings. But after a while, Diesel started getting sick in the mornings because he was hungry and his empty belly made him throw up, so we switched to twice a day and are still on that schedule. But when we did feed once a day, it seemed to work fine for them.
dieselsmom
dieselsmom

Number of posts : 2235

http://www.cloudk9.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryjo 6/10/2009, 1:22 pm

Twice a day here. If your mom's pug isn't interested in the morning breakfast, and isn't losing weight, I am sure he's fine.

When I had just Thelma & Louisie, I could free-feed (leave food down all day long), but not with the rescues. *LOL* They'd eat until they bust open!
Maryjo
Maryjo

Number of posts : 4954

http://www.maryjoalaska.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugs4me 6/10/2009, 2:02 pm

When we just had Lillie we could free feed and I swear she'd go all day without touching the food. Of course when we got the others that has to stop since they're little piggies. We feed twice a day now.
Pugs4me
Pugs4me

Number of posts : 405

Back to top Go down

Post  MommaJones 6/10/2009, 2:51 pm

The Jones Boys only eat one meal a day in the evening. They are perfectly fine and happy with that!
MommaJones
MommaJones

Number of posts : 3761

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch 6/10/2009, 3:55 pm

Twice a day here too, but if a dog is fine with once a day than I see no problem with that. I think basically it's down to what works for you (and your pug!) and what they're used to.
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda 6/10/2009, 4:04 pm

My girls eat once/day and always have except when puppies. They've always been fine with it. They get a small treat in the morning and before bed. Nell could stand to go down to a once/week schedule but she'd probably eat me in my sleep! Shocked
Amanda
Amanda

Number of posts : 6990

http://www.pugauthority.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara 6/10/2009, 4:47 pm

Wow I didn't know about all the once a day feeders, OMG I would DIE and pass out if I could only eat once a day, but I have seen your babies, obviously they are doing fine!

CP also knows the words "breakfast" and "dinner" and gets treats throughout the day like Miss Tilly.
Sara
Sara

Number of posts : 4083

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira 6/10/2009, 4:51 pm

Mine get a small meal (usually just a bit of kibble with mostly yogurt) in the mornings and then their "main" meal around 5.
Saira
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 6/10/2009, 5:05 pm

Twice a day here as well, but Lola often won't eat first thing in the morning--she needs an hour to wake up before she's hungry.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Amber 6/10/2009, 5:13 pm

We feed once a day, in the evening but they get morning treats and bedtime treats too. I used to feed twice a day but with four if we ever have to be gone it's just easier on the pet sitter to only have to do meal time once a day so we switched over to that method several years ago.
Amber
Amber

Number of posts : 2080

http://www.lotusblossomphotography.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Lilos Mom 6/10/2009, 6:11 pm

The herd here get fed 2x daily breakfast & dinner.
Lilos Mom
Lilos Mom

Number of posts : 714

Back to top Go down

Post  BDazzpugs 6/10/2009, 7:27 pm

I feed mine at bedtime, when the lights go out. All the bowls get filled up. I have a controled free feeding home. Which means we fill bowls at night and when it is gone, it's gone, until the next night. Emma sleeps with me and she has a special diet, that is why she is not in the pug room at bedtime:) Hey when you have 9, you just do what works.
BDazzpugs
BDazzpugs

Number of posts : 1286

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 6/10/2009, 8:40 pm

Breakfast and dinner for mine.

Back to top Go down

Post  lola's mom 6/13/2009, 11:09 am

My vultures get fed twice a day and Lola thinks it's her right to get a treat every time Logan gets his eye drops. They get treats pretty often between the walks and the drops.
Whoever finishes first circles the other one like a shark waiting to steal a piece of kibble that falls out of the dish then they lick each others dishes.
lola's mom
lola's mom

Number of posts : 785

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 6/17/2009, 2:07 pm

We feed Saffron (and when Sumo was a puppy) 2x a day. Lunch and Dinner but we just call it dinner and OMG he knows that word, he knows where the food is kept, and he runs to that cabinet stands up, and pounds on it yelling like a coyote.

Sumo gets fed 1x a day at dinner. We will do this with Saff to once he is not as much a puppy. Sumo is fine. He knows dinner and does his dinner dance. And we give them some treats throughout the day so they do OK.

Back to top Go down

How many times a day do you feed your pug? Empty feeding

Post  Miss Pugg 6/17/2009, 9:20 pm

When I raised Min.Schnauzers many moons ago, I fed them just once a day. Since I've had the Pugs (& Boston Terrier), I've raised that to twice a day. They'd be eating the walls if I went back to once a day.
Miss Pugg
Miss Pugg

Number of posts : 659

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next