Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Heart Problems

+4
Katie & Stella
northernwitch
BDazzpugs
pugmom
8 posters

Go down

Heart Problems Empty Heart Problems

Post  pugmom 9/28/2009, 9:14 pm

Can anyone help me out by telling me what would be some symptoms of a pug with heart problems? Would panting when it is not hot be a possible symptom? This would be when the pug is not stressed or excited about something.

My pug is over eleven not sure of age as he is a rescue from a puppy mill. I am so afraid that my hubby is giving him way to much table food treats and Ty will gain to much weight and thus have some heart problems. Heart Problems 9386

Elaine
pugmom
pugmom

Number of posts : 956

Back to top Go down

Heart Problems Empty Re: Heart Problems

Post  BDazzpugs 9/28/2009, 9:29 pm

Usually a deep cough and lethargic is a sign that their might be something going on. Sounds like a vet visit might be in order.
BDazzpugs
BDazzpugs

Number of posts : 1286

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 9/28/2009, 9:34 pm

Panting CAN be an indication of a heart issue, but Sarina is right--coughing, sneezing, shortness of breath are the most usual symptoms of heart problems as well as lethargy. It can be hard to gauge lethargy in an older dog since most of them aren't all that busy to begin with. I have a cardiac dog in foster care right now and it is obvious from listening in the stethoscope that he has a heart condition.
A vet visit is definitely in order.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 9/28/2009, 9:41 pm

Symptoms of cardiac problems in a dog:

* General weakness and fatigue, particularly noticeable after exercise. Some dogs may faint if forced to exercise.
* Shortness of breath and a cough. Most evident if left-sided heart failure, these are symptoms of an accumulation of fluid in the lungs.
* Swelling of the abdomen and limbs. Most evident in right-sided heart failure. This edema is due to an accumulation of fluid throughout the body. Pressure on the swollen feet will leave a deep indentation or depression that is slow to disappear. This condition is called pitting edema.
* A bluish appearance to the tongue and gums as a result of the poor blood circulation.
* A poor appetite, vomiting, diarrhea, or constipation. These may occur from insufficient blood circulation to the liver and digestive organs.
* Excessive drinking and urination.
* An incrased heart rate and weak pulse.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Katie & Stella 9/28/2009, 10:35 pm

Panting can also be a sign of Cushing's so you might want to get him checked out. Hope everything is ok!
Katie & Stella
Katie & Stella

Number of posts : 1248

Back to top Go down

Post  akc0104 9/29/2009, 8:35 am

With the senior dogs I've had, I've found that random panting is usually a sign of pain or discomfort. I agree with everyone else, a check up is a good idea.
akc0104
akc0104

Number of posts : 1742

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara 9/29/2009, 10:26 am

You said you are worried about his weight, how is it now?

I know what you mean and I feel like weight is the one thing I really can control and will keep our pug healthy, so I am a stickler for food. Yes table food can be dangerous depending on what it is, but assuming it's table food that is safe for Ty to eat, how about reducing his kibble some to allow for the extra calories? I know I only feed Co-Pilot 1/4 cup twice a day of kibble, because that rotten girl gets cheese still every time she goes potty, her joint supplement treats and sometimes things from the cutting board, like avocado.
Sara
Sara

Number of posts : 4083

Back to top Go down

Post  pugmom 9/30/2009, 5:48 pm

Thanks everyone. I will hopefully be scheduling a wellness check for Ty. First must convince the hubby that it is necessary. Heart Problems Icon_rolleyes
pugmom
pugmom

Number of posts : 956

Back to top Go down

Post  leslyeb 9/30/2009, 7:21 pm

Panting can also be a sign of Laryngeal Paralysis. This was the only symptom that my boy Taz had. It can only be diagnosed by having the animal placed under local anesthesia.
leslyeb
leslyeb

Number of posts : 707

Back to top Go down

Post  pugpillow 10/1/2009, 12:44 pm

Not to make light of it, but panting can also happen when the pug needs to burp. Farnsworth is an OCD licker and takes in a lot of air so can burp up his toenails. He often pants before he gets relief.
pugpillow
pugpillow

Number of posts : 944

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down