Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My former liver shunt foster, Leila

+12
TxAllieGrl
H the P
LisaIzzyAggy
pugsandkids
MommaJones
Amber
dieselsmom
Brenda
GingerSnap
Saira
Aussie Witch
northernwitch
16 posters

Go down

My former liver shunt foster, Leila Empty My former liver shunt foster, Leila

Post  northernwitch 5/30/2009, 4:36 pm

Vicki (Leila's adopter) and Leila were at Slobberfest today so I got to catch up with the little imp and her mom. Unfortunately, the news is not good. In fact, it could hardly be worse. Her bile acids still aren't normal and have only decreased by an infinitesimal amount. So another ultrasound was done and not only has Leila re-grown a liver shunt, she has re-grown many of them. She is now a mass of acquired shunts. The prognosis is not very good. It cannot be fixed surgically so she is back on lactulose and flagyl for her life and they will keep a close eye on her bile acids. The reality is that the prognosis for this is 6 months to 2 years. Dr. Mason has known dogs to beat the odds and live for years and I will pray that Leila is one of those "miracle" dogs. She has certainly beaten the odds so far.
I haven't posted this anywhere as Vicki only found out on thursday and is, understandably, very upset. But she was able to talk about it with me today and says that Leila is clinically fine and happy for now and that she will live for quality and not quantity. Leila was her usual very busy self and was manning the booth with her best buddy, Arnold--who is a mastiff/St. Bernard cross owned by Vicki's office mate. To look at her, you would never know that her future is possibly very short and very grim.
Some of you saw pictures of her when she came into foster with me in November of 2008. Her mom is a vet tech at the local emergency and referral hospital so she couldn't be in better hands, but it's very disheartening to hear this news.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

My former liver shunt foster, Leila Empty Re: My former liver shunt foster, Leila

Post  northernwitch 5/30/2009, 4:42 pm

Leila" alt="" />
Here's a picture of her just before she was adopted in February.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Back to top Go down

My former liver shunt foster, Leila Empty Re: My former liver shunt foster, Leila

Post  Aussie Witch 5/30/2009, 4:46 pm

DAMN. Damn damn damn damn damn damn. I remember when Pearl was going through her shunt and you told me that Leila's test were still high but she was doing so well. I told my vet when we were discussing other shunt dogs. He told me then he would be concerned about another shunt forming. I didn't think anything more about it as I thought everything seemed to be going in a good direction. What desperately sad news. I will muster all the forces of the universe that she IS one of the miracle dogs.
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 5/30/2009, 4:51 pm

It was always a risk, but given that clinically she was doing so well, we weren't expecting this result, really. and she was young and it was single, external and congenital so we felt that we might just dodge this bullet.
But it was not to be. So it was very bitter sweet to spend some time with her this afternoon snuggling (when she wasn't too busy) and getting kisses.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira 5/30/2009, 5:39 pm

This made me so sad. She reminds me so much of Sophie, and I was hoping she was cured (I guess, if that's the word). I will keep her in my thoughts and keep hoping that she will beat the odds.

It's very very hard-sometimes I think it's harder when you get a prognosis with a time frame, especially when they are happy and healthy at the time.
Saira
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  GingerSnap 5/30/2009, 5:57 pm

Oh that's not what I wanted to hear! Crying or Very sad Many prayers for great quality of life, no matter how long that ends up being.
GingerSnap
GingerSnap

Number of posts : 3547

Back to top Go down

Post  Brenda 5/30/2009, 7:34 pm

So she must have internal shunts now then? How sad. I hope the meds help and she stays symptom free. I am sure they have her on special food, too?
Brenda
Brenda

Number of posts : 2221

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 5/30/2009, 7:40 pm

Brenda wrote:So she must have internal shunts now then? How sad. I hope the meds help and she stays symptom free. I am sure they have her on special food, too?
To be honest with you, I didn't ask. Just that there are LOTS of them. And that surgery won't fix it. Yes, she is on a liver diet and has always been.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Back to top Go down

Post  dieselsmom 5/30/2009, 7:49 pm

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear this news. Those damned liver shunts. I had hoped she was 100% and all that shunt business was behind her. Good to know, though, that she's in the best possible hands with her mama.
dieselsmom
dieselsmom

Number of posts : 2235

http://www.cloudk9.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Amber 5/30/2009, 7:59 pm

Oh how sad :( She is such a cutie too. I will also hope that she is one of the miracle dogs.
Amber
Amber

Number of posts : 2080

http://www.lotusblossomphotography.com

Back to top Go down

Post  MommaJones 5/30/2009, 8:37 pm

That's too bad. It's maddeing that she's found such a loving home with parents doing everything medically possible, and yet she still gets such a sad prognosis. I'll keep Leila and her family in my prayers. Maybe she will be a miracle.
MommaJones
MommaJones

Number of posts : 3761

Back to top Go down

Post  pugsandkids 5/30/2009, 8:53 pm

Poor girl, I loved reading your posts as she started to feel better in your care. I certainly hope she does as well as possible.
pugsandkids
pugsandkids

Number of posts : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post  LisaIzzyAggy 5/30/2009, 9:54 pm

Awww, that's sad and she's so darn cute. I'm praying that she has many more happy days ahead. hug dog
LisaIzzyAggy
LisaIzzyAggy

Number of posts : 3001

Back to top Go down

Post  H the P 5/31/2009, 8:30 am

Poor little Leila. But miracles do happen, sometimes. hug dog

H the P

Number of posts : 1241

Back to top Go down

Post  TxAllieGrl 5/31/2009, 8:39 am

Poor little munchkin. Will hope for the miracle here. Lots of good thoughts for Vicki & Ms. Leila.

TxAllieGrl

Number of posts : 5801

Back to top Go down

Post  Eph91 5/31/2009, 10:13 am

I am so sorry to read this.
Eph91
Eph91

Number of posts : 2839

Back to top Go down

Post  lindarpugma 5/31/2009, 11:32 am

I am so sorry about Leila, she is an adorable little thing. I will keep my fingers crossed for miracles too.
lindarpugma
lindarpugma

Number of posts : 593

Back to top Go down

Post  viralmd 5/31/2009, 6:07 pm

Oh, Blanche, that makes me so sad. I'm sorry.

viralmd

Number of posts : 56
Location : Cyrilia, an independent entity contained entirely within the City of New York

Back to top Go down

Post  Puglove2 5/31/2009, 6:29 pm

poor little leila. i will pray for her and hope she outlives the odds.
Puglove2
Puglove2

Number of posts : 1943

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down