Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Giving Injections to a pug

+7
Puggered
leslyeb
pugsandkids
Aussie Witch
akc0104
BDazzpugs
Tyson&LuLu'sMom
11 posters

Go down

Giving Injections to a pug Empty Giving Injections to a pug

Post  Tyson&LuLu'sMom 1/6/2010, 10:43 am

Tyson gets monthly injections for his Addison's Disease. Tonight when we go to the vet, I'm going to learn how to do them. Once we work down to his correct dosage, we won't have to make the monthly trip to the vet, as I will do the injections at home, and then we'll only go in every few months for blood tests.
The injection is given subcutaneously, not intra-muscular which I'm thankful for. Ever since he was a puppy he's been very good about getting shots.
Anyone with any tips/tricks? I've never given a shot to anyone before-human or canine-so this should be interesting!
Tyson&LuLu'sMom
Tyson&LuLu'sMom

Number of posts : 3776

Back to top Go down

Giving Injections to a pug Empty Re: Giving Injections to a pug

Post  BDazzpugs 1/6/2010, 10:49 am

Once you get comfortable with it, it is very easy. When we vaccinate I always rub their head and give them a treat, while Adrian does the injections. They are never bothered by it. I think Tyson will be just fine.
BDazzpugs
BDazzpugs

Number of posts : 1286

Back to top Go down

Post  akc0104 1/6/2010, 12:09 pm

I'm going to take a big guess here and think that it's similar to giving sub-Q fluids (which I've done with my mean cat). At least getting the needle in is similar anyway. Once I got over the "OMG I'm going to stab him" feeling, it was okay.

They taught me how to lift the skin to make a triangle and get the needle in the right spot. That was the most important thing for me to remember.

Good luck!!
akc0104
akc0104

Number of posts : 1742

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch 1/6/2010, 1:17 pm

It will be as easy as pie once you get the hang of it Becky. And as it's only monthly you don't have to worry about moving the injection site around as you would with daily shots for something likes diabetes. I've had to do intramuscular, subcutaneously AND intravenously (thankfully a line was put in place and left there for the course otherwise I wouldn't have attempted it) and once you get used to it, it's SO much easier than trying to give anything by mouth.

For Tyson's subQ ones, just gently grab a hunk of skin on his neck, and you're in and out so quickly. The vet will show you exactly what to do. Best of luck!
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  pugsandkids 1/6/2010, 1:57 pm

You can so do this! I was giving our lab insulin shots when I was 11. No worries Giving Injections to a pug 335895
pugsandkids
pugsandkids

Number of posts : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post  leslyeb 1/6/2010, 6:52 pm

I haven't had to give injections to humans or canines, but hopefully it will be pretty simple. Plus, if Tyson is good about it, then you can always have an extra special treat for when you have to give the shot.
leslyeb
leslyeb

Number of posts : 707

Back to top Go down

Post  Puggered 1/6/2010, 7:57 pm

You'll be fine. It's easy and once a month is soooo much easier!!
Puggered
Puggered

Number of posts : 1517

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 1/6/2010, 8:15 pm

You can do this! we believe in you! hehe :)
the first time it might freak you out since you've never done it before, but maybe the first few times, have someone distract him..like mentioned above , with petting, talking to him, and giving him a treat so he wont focus on what you are doing or sense your nervousness.

once you do it a few times, it'll be super easy! good luck! keep us posted ! Giving Injections to a pug 335895

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 1/6/2010, 10:07 pm

If you can use a very small gauge needle, he won't even feel it. i give Bella insulin 4 times per day, and she won't even wake up. Neck is definitley the best place for a pug as there is so much loose skin. You will be laughing at your worries, after the first one.

Joan

Back to top Go down

Post  Imon 1/6/2010, 10:26 pm

I gave my visiting cousin some injections of a chemotherapy drug he was using; they had to be administered into his stomach and he couldn't do it himself (usually his mom did it, but she was over a thousand miles away at the time).

He said it was better to jab it in quickly and not to worry about hurting him, because it hurt more if the point of the needle went in more slowly than that. I was amazed the first time I did it at how easily the needle went into the skin and underlying muscle. It was more difficult for me the second time, because I slowed up a bit and it wasn't as easy for me or for him. Then I got the hang of it.

I guess, like anything, it gets easier to do injections the more you do them. Hope all goes well with you. I know when Otto was getting so many eye drops and ointments that I started giving him a special treat after each round of meds and after a few days he was hopping up on the sofa and holding his head up for me to do it just to get the goodies. That's one aspect of a pug that makes treating them so easy. Giving Injections to a pug Icon_biggrin
Imon
Imon

Number of posts : 1898

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid 1/7/2010, 12:12 am

I do insulin shots for quite a few of my clients. It's as easy as pie - even on the more difficult pets. The neck is an easy spot - especially on a pug. Lots to grab a hold of!
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Number of posts : 5095

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 1/7/2010, 1:31 am

Linda's cousin is absolutely right. Going slow is very painful for the recipient. Get some oranges and a syringe, and practice darting the needle in. I had a student who would put the needle up against the skin and then push. We had a long lab session with an orange and syringe, and she never did it again.
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  Tyson&LuLu'sMom 1/7/2010, 11:21 am

Well I did it, and everyone is right-no big deal. Just grabbed a chunk around his neck and stuck it in-easy. Tyson absolutely loves going to the vet (which is a blessing considering right now he goes every 4 weeks on the dot). They have some very yummy treats there and of course he knows exactly where they are.
I wish trimming his nails was that easy... Giving Injections to a pug 335895
Tyson&LuLu'sMom
Tyson&LuLu'sMom

Number of posts : 3776

Back to top Go down

Post  pugpillow 1/8/2010, 10:28 pm

Glad it went well. Soon you'll be a dab hand at it. No biggie after the first couple of times. I would second the suggestion to get the finest needle possible. I think that's an insulin needle and if I remember right, I used 28 gauge needles for Kimmy's allergy shots. The larger the number, the smaller the outside diameter of the needle. Originally I got the needles from the vet (smaller gauge, bigger diameter) but then I switched to the larger gauge and bought them in bulk at the drug store or Walmart pharmacy (cheaper than the vet and a better size/gauge). Depress the needle before putting it into the bottle (to avoid bubbles), pull out the required amount, grab the scruff of the neck (pinch an inch) and stick the needle in quickly. Kimmy sat there like an angel and didn't even notice.
pugpillow
pugpillow

Number of posts : 944

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down