Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Microchip Injections

+6
Eph91
pugpillow
Puggered
Renee
Aussie Witch
GingerSnap
10 posters

Go down

Microchip Injections Empty Microchip Injections

Post  GingerSnap 10/2/2010, 10:09 pm

Has anyone injected their own microchips? I've got a foster/transport coming tomorrow and I've got chips that have been provided by MAPR. This boy has been fully vetted except for his chip, and if I can get it into him tomorrow, I can get him to his (hopefully) final destination tomorrow. If I can't get it in, I'm going to have to hang onto him for 2 more weeks, and then Sammy will hate me. Crying or Very sad There's a vet nearby that has urgent care hours on weekends, but I'm not sure if they actually have someone on site at all times, or if they're just on call for urgent care, and I kind of doubt if this qualifies. If they can't do it for me, does anyone know how hard it is to do a microchip injection? The syringe is sealed, so I'm not concerned about sterility, and the chip is an Avid chip, if that makes a difference.
GingerSnap
GingerSnap

Number of posts : 3547

Back to top Go down

Microchip Injections Empty Re: Microchip Injections

Post  Aussie Witch 10/2/2010, 10:34 pm

I've never done one Ginger, but I have seen them done and the bore (width) of the needle is much bigger than your usual ones. It's certainly not something I would try by myself on an unknown dog, but if you are experienced at giving injections under the skin and have someone to hold him, it might be worth a shot. I am fine with doing subcutaneous or intramuscular injections, but a chip one would make me pause. Hope you can get it organised so he can go on!
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee 10/2/2010, 10:44 pm

Nothing to add here...except questions of my own.

How did you get the injections? Can you order them direct?

I wonder if it would be more cost effective for us (rescue) to get and do our own with our guys. Not that I would skip the vet or anything like that, but just thinking cost.

Do you have any friends that are nurses? Maybe call on one of them to help?
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Puggered 10/2/2010, 10:52 pm

No idea what the rules are over there, but maybe you should check if there are any? Here you must have a license to insert chips, the course get a license is not overly demanding but you cannot register the chip unless you are licensed.
Puggered
Puggered

Number of posts : 1517

Back to top Go down

Post  pugpillow 10/2/2010, 10:54 pm

I know breeders can chip their dogs and shelters often do. If you can't get the vet to do it, maybe a shelter would, especially if you gave them a small donation. I don't think it's a big deal if you have your own chip. Pugalug has our own chips (24PetWatch) but we have the foster vets implant them.
pugpillow
pugpillow

Number of posts : 944

Back to top Go down

Post  GingerSnap 10/2/2010, 11:31 pm

Renee wrote:Nothing to add here...except questions of my own.

How did you get the injections? Can you order them direct?

I wonder if it would be more cost effective for us (rescue) to get and do our own with our guys. Not that I would skip the vet or anything like that, but just thinking cost.
I got the chips in a foster kit that I received from MAPR that's sent to foster homes. It contained 2 or 3 chips, liquid ivermectin, several doses of flea/tick meds, a couple of belly bands, a spare harness (albeit a tiny one!), and several MAPR collar tags.

We buy them in bulk from the chip manufacturer and they're already pre-registered with MAPR, which is pretty cool. The idea is that when the pug is being vetted, they can insert it very cheaply and then they're already registered to the rescue. The problem occurs when the previous foster home had the dog vetted and didn't have a chip on hand, or if they were vetted by a good shelter and therefore weren't able to get a chip from the foster home.

Although I know that sub Q injections aren't that hard to do in theory, I'm not comfortable doing it myself, since I don't actually have any experience doing it and haven't been trained by a pro. Plus the larger gauge needle is probably enough to scare me off for my first time. Keep your fingers crossed for a cooperative vet tomorrow!
GingerSnap
GingerSnap

Back to top Go down

Post  Eph91 10/3/2010, 8:17 am

Since you have all the stuff, I would think any good vet who is interested in the dog's best interest will help you! Good luck! Keep us posted (and I don't blame you one bit for not doing it yourself--I'd be afraid to do it myself!)
Eph91
Eph91

Number of posts : 2839

Back to top Go down

Post  papaspugs 10/3/2010, 9:01 am

I uesd to get microchips from SEPRA. The needles are huge!!!! I would take them to the vet's office with the foster.. I have done a lot of care taking with pugs from sub-q to other injections, but I refused to do the microchips. I would call the e-vet and explain the situation and see if you could come by there. See if they have a "needy" fund jar that you could donate $10 to for their time. If they are going to charge you $75 for an office visit, I'd reconsider.
papaspugs
papaspugs

Number of posts : 2297

Back to top Go down

Post  agilepug 10/7/2010, 9:33 am

I've done vaccines before, but I don't think I would try injecting a chip...that needle is huge. I'm sure if you call your vet, a tech could do it for you, probably no appointment needed.
agilepug
agilepug

Number of posts : 148

http://www.westoverpugpack.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Lilos Mom 10/7/2010, 9:40 am

We used to use HomeAgain but I got tired of all the additional expenses they started charging. So we've changed to Res Q but I would never do the injection myself. I'd see if a local vet or shelter would do the injection for you. We usually have it done while their under for spay/neuter or a dental. We order our chips in bulk and scan our Pugs as they come in and then I make sure they have a chip in their foster box when they go to their foster home.

I've seen a Pug who had nerve damage done from the implant being injected wrong too deep into the muscle he was partially paralyzed it was very sad. I just would'nt take the chance.
Lilos Mom
Lilos Mom

Number of posts : 714

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara 10/8/2010, 4:01 pm

Did you find a vet to help you? I was also going to say I'd get help, those are not nice needles.
Sara
Sara

Number of posts : 4083

Back to top Go down

Post  GingerSnap 10/8/2010, 8:43 pm

Sara wrote:Did you find a vet to help you? I was also going to say I'd get help, those are not nice needles.
Yes, I did! Sorry I forgot to update, but the local vet that MAPR has set up an account with did it for me. And everyone is right-- those suckers are not only huge, but hard to get in also. Not something I'd try on my own.
GingerSnap
GingerSnap

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara 10/10/2010, 8:54 am

Good! I know poor Cp had to get a second microchip for our trip to Italy. She was so brave.
Sara
Sara

Number of posts : 4083

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down