Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Any suggestions for a pug with a snotty nose?

+2
Aussie Witch
Pugsavers
6 posters

Go down

Any suggestions for a pug with a snotty nose? Empty Any suggestions for a pug with a snotty nose?

Post  Pugsavers 1/14/2010, 3:34 am

Sorry I couldn't put this more delicately but poor little Tiny Tim has been suffering with an extremely snotty nose now for 2 months. We have tried various antibiotics and are now on a long term treatment of Clindamiacin, and I have used saline spray and occasionally licorice root to try to help dry it out. We had a culture and sensitivity done but there was nothing specific.
While it is a little better now than it was a few weeks ago (in that the mucus is thinner), but the poor little guy is still having a hard time of it. I know it doesn't help that he has only use of one lung because of his diaphramatic hernia.
We are also worried that the infection could be because of his crappy teeth but again, because of the problem with the lungs he can't be put under.

Any suggestions or ideas are welcome!!
Pugsavers
Pugsavers

Number of posts : 1541

Back to top Go down

Any suggestions for a pug with a snotty nose? Empty Re: Any suggestions for a pug with a snotty nose?

Post  Aussie Witch 1/14/2010, 4:17 am

Would one of those thingys that put out a mist of steam with a little eucalyptus oil in the steamer reservoir help? You know the thingys - what you might put in the room of a baby (or anyone) that has a bad cold, to help them breath.

Hope you can fix it for that precious little guy! Any suggestions for a pug with a snotty nose? 335895
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Any suggestions for a pug with a snotty nose? Empty Re: Any suggestions for a pug with a snotty nose?

Post  Not Afraid 1/14/2010, 5:31 am

Rona suggested what would be my first choice. Using a vaporizer would help him loosen and bring up the phlegm. I have read (but not experienced) that it is safe to add a children's mentholated liquid to the vaporizer as well. If he is fighting something, giving him colloidal silver will help build his immune system (and is a natural antibiotic) and a few drops of echinacea would help as well.

Here's some great information about Colloidal Silver. http://thewholedog.org/wholedognews/?p=367

I first learned about it through Flying Basset who has a great version of the product. http://www.theflyingbasset.com/profile.asp?id=574&CategoryName=Silver%20Protein%205%20%28Colloidal%20Silver%29&Name=Silver%20Protein%205%20-%204oz
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Number of posts : 5095

Back to top Go down

Post  papaspugs 1/14/2010, 9:43 am

What about an antihistamine? Is the mucus just causing a runny nose or is it going into his throat as drainage and him coughing? We had Baby Girl on Mucinex (just the regular, not Mucinex D) when she was excessively phlegm-y from receiving the trachea stent. It really helped her clear up the phlegm in her throat when she could cough. Also, like Rona and Lisa suggested, we used a humidifier to keep the humidity between 50-60%. Anything higher or lower and she would start coughing.

I hope that Tiny Tim is feeling better. Any suggestions for a pug with a snotty nose? 335895
papaspugs
papaspugs

Number of posts : 2297

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsavers 1/14/2010, 12:22 pm

I forgot...I do have him on an antihistamine...Chlorphenaramine. I'm surprised about the Mucinex...I asked at my vets office and the Vet PDR did not recommend it for dogs.
I have a vaporizer (cool mist one) and I keep it at about 47-52 but maybe I should crank it up a bit and try some eucalyptus oil. I do have some.

I tried colloidal silver myself several times over the years with no success. I'd like to know more about those that have seen results.

Thanks everyone!!
Pugsavers
Pugsavers

Number of posts : 1541

Back to top Go down

Post  TNPUGMOMOF3 1/14/2010, 4:25 pm

My foster started reverse sneezing all night and benedryl was not helping at all. I gave her one of Bella's allergy pills, Temaril P and it's helped her a lot.
TNPUGMOMOF3
TNPUGMOMOF3

Number of posts : 1982

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 1/14/2010, 5:31 pm

oh boy..that's a tough one. Everything i thought of possibly recommending, either you have done or someone mentioned.. so, i will just send you tons of positive vibes and hope that it gets better soon !

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 1/14/2010, 11:24 pm

No new ideas here, either. I like the vaporizer with the eucalyptus oil, though. A drop of grapefruit oil might be good, too. Penny said to tell Timmy to feel better soon, and she might give him another chance to whip her ass!
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down