Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nose wrinkles

+9
GingerSnap
Newsie96
smoochieface
GracieNEmma
northernwitch
Snifter&Toddy
Javalita
Amanda
Saira
13 posters

Go down

Nose wrinkles Empty Nose wrinkles

Post  Saira 5/26/2009, 11:12 pm

Grrrr!!! Hooligan has a really deep fold over his nose and it always seems to get icky. I think when he has allergies his eyes water, and it goes into that fold. We clean them with a wipe every other day but I looked today and it's all red and swollen again. His allergies were terrible last night too! Thank goodness Indy and Sophie barely have any wrinkles. Laughing

Does anyone have any tips that have worked for them?

I am sooooo sick of seeing our vet!!
Saira
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Nose wrinkles Empty Re: Nose wrinkles

Post  Amanda 5/26/2009, 11:19 pm

What kind of wipes are you using now? I know alot of people have success with the Malaseb wipes. I've used them in the past and never had a problem. Nell gets wrinkle irritation due to allergies too. I think what's even more important than what you clean them with is making sure you get them good and dry afterwards. Since Ava was born, baby wipes have become our "go to" item for wiping just about everything. I find they work well on the wrinkles (I use Pampers Sensitive). They are moist enough to clean the area well but don't leave the area "wet." (the Malaseb wipes are pretty wet and have to be wrung out before using them) They also don't see to bother Nell at all when she's scratched a raw spot so they're pretty gentle. If she does scratch a raw spot, I put some Neosporin in the wrinkle overnight then wipe it good the next morning and it seems to clear things up well.
Amanda
Amanda

Number of posts : 6990

http://www.pugauthority.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Javalita 5/26/2009, 11:36 pm

Java always had problems with her nose wrinkle. We used Malaseb too, but found them way too moist and thought it so wasteful to wring them out. I was also always worried that some of the liquid would get into her eyes. Towards the end we used baby wipes too and liked them. We always dried things out well after meals and after wiping.

Great tip from Amanda on the Neosporin! I didn't think of that! I'm going to add that little tip into my mental file for future use! We used to use some of the dermavet (I think it was called that) ointment that you could also put in their ears. It worked. Similar to neosporin really, so go for over the counter!
Javalita
Javalita

Number of posts : 964

Back to top Go down

Post  Snifter&Toddy 5/27/2009, 5:44 am

Generally Snifter's is OK but sometimes it gets phenomenally gungy for no apparent reason. I find that wiping it daily (or even twice daily) with a dry kleenex is generally sufficient to keep any problems at bay when he is in a gungy stage.
Snifter&Toddy
Snifter&Toddy

Number of posts : 2071

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 5/27/2009, 8:15 am

Tank has the nose fold from hell and I use the Malaseb wipes. I keep a supply of the regular and the ones with a bit of steroid(?) in them on hand for the really icky days. Everyone else is too badly bred to have nose folds......

I have also found a bit of Neosporin overnight works.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  GracieNEmma 5/27/2009, 10:16 am

Gracie has a thick wrinkle too and I used to be able to go a week or more without having to clean it. Lately it seems like it gets dirty much quicker and I don't know why. Her eyes are watering a little more then usual so it may be that. I don't know....but anyway, I have the Malaseb wipes too but I don't use those unless it's really bad. I've been cleaning her wrinkle every day now with a Kleenex just to clean it out. If there is stuff in there, I'll use a baby wipe to clean it out. If that doesn't seem to work then I'll try the Malaseb wipes but use those as a last resort. My sister also gave me some kind of med with a steroid in it that I only had to use once when her wrinkle was real bad. I was cleaning it 3 times a day and wiping stuff out of there every time. I don't understand how all the sudden it can get so dirty so fast but that's what I've been doing lately to clean it out.
GracieNEmma
GracieNEmma

Number of posts : 1065

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 5/27/2009, 1:19 pm

Oscar has a deep nose roll too, we clean it daily with a kleenex or, when needed, our vet suggested using his ear cleaner (that we got from the vet clinic) to clean it.

Back to top Go down

Post  smoochieface 5/27/2009, 1:52 pm

Pretty much the same as everyone else. Bruno's noseroll is super deep and very prone to infection. We go in with hypo allergenic baby wipes to clean out the dirt and other junk first. Then, we follow-up with the Maleseb. We've noticed a huge improvement over the baby wipe only method. We've been doing this a couple of years now.
smoochieface
smoochieface

Number of posts : 5123

Back to top Go down

Post  Newsie96 5/27/2009, 4:00 pm

Murphy had a reaction to the Maleseb once so we don't use them. I wet the side of a wash cloth and clean it out. Then I use the dry end to make sure it's dry before I let him loose. The key, I think, is making sure it's dry after you clean them.
Newsie96
Newsie96

Number of posts : 996

Back to top Go down

Post  GingerSnap 5/27/2009, 6:30 pm

I use a damp baby washcloth to clean and then a dry portion of the same cloth to dry. I like that they have a little texture, so I feel like I'm getting it cleaner, but the baby version is nice and thin, so they aren't too bulky.
GingerSnap
GingerSnap

Number of posts : 3547

Back to top Go down

Post  BDazzpugs 5/27/2009, 9:52 pm

I would ask the vet for Neo-Predef powder, it will help keep a healthy environment during the warm weather. That stuff is my best friend this time of year. I have been using it on Milan since she weaned the puppies.
BDazzpugs
BDazzpugs

Number of posts : 1286

Back to top Go down

Post  Eph91 5/28/2009, 6:01 am

My vet suggested Stridex pads, so I use the green ones (for "sensitive skin") for Wally, who has a deep fold that gets very dirty. *Knock wood* he hasn't had an infection, but I clean it once a week, using about 3 of the pads, both sides. I also wring them out before using, as they are quite wet. Emmet is a product of lesser breeding, too, so he doesn't have much of a fold at all. Wink
Eph91
Eph91

Number of posts : 2839

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda 5/28/2009, 10:12 am

GingerSnap wrote:I use a damp baby washcloth to clean and then a dry portion of the same cloth to dry. I like that they have a little texture, so I feel like I'm getting it cleaner, but the baby version is nice and thin, so they aren't too bulky.

That's a good idea! I have a bunch of them laying around that I don't use anymore.
Amanda
Amanda

Number of posts : 6990

http://www.pugauthority.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara 5/28/2009, 10:54 am

How's Hooli doing?

I was just wiping CP's face the other day and it amazes me as deep as her wrinkle is that it's always clean when I wipe it, weird. I think they must just eat or do things a certain way that some get it dirty? Anyway I hope it clears up for Hooli, I am sure it's uncomfortable!

For the record when I do clean hers, I usually just use a unscented baby wipe and then dry with a soft cloth, but the pledgets things seem pretty good.
Sara
Sara

Number of posts : 4083

Back to top Go down

Post  GracieNEmma 5/28/2009, 11:00 am

BDazzpugs wrote:I would ask the vet for Neo-Predef powder, it will help keep a healthy environment during the warm weather. That stuff is my best friend this time of year. I have been using it on Milan since she weaned the puppies.

Sarina, I've never heard of this before. This may sound like a stupid question but is it really a powder? If so, how do you not get it in their eyes? Gracie's does seem to get a little worse when it gets hot and humid outside. My husband thinks it comes from her shoving her face in to the ground sniffing for stuff in the grass. So, I don't know why all the sudden it gets so bad but I'm curious about this powder.
GracieNEmma
GracieNEmma

Number of posts : 1065

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira 5/28/2009, 11:56 am

Sara wrote:How's Hooli doing?

I was just wiping CP's face the other day and it amazes me as deep as her wrinkle is that it's always clean when I wipe it, weird. I think they must just eat or do things a certain way that some get it dirty? Anyway I hope it clears up for Hooli, I am sure it's uncomfortable!

For the record when I do clean hers, I usually just use a unscented baby wipe and then dry with a soft cloth, but the pledgets things seem pretty good.

Most of the time, his wrinkle is pretty good. I think I figured out why sometimes it gets so bad so fast-when he has allergies, his eyes water. And the tears go straight into his wrinkles, so I think that's when the moisture builds and it gets gunky.

His is MUCH better today! We have been giving him a benedryl in the mornings. I put a little neosporin in it, and we are switching to baby wipes, and only going to do the malesab once a week.
Saira
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugs4me 5/28/2009, 3:09 pm

I use SSD ointment on their wrinkles once a week and it seems to keep them problem free. Lillie had a raw wrinkle a couple years ago and my Vet recommended it to me.
Pugs4me
Pugs4me

Number of posts : 405

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down