Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Geriatric Wasting - Supplements?

+9
PugMomto3
LisaIzzyAggy
Lilos Mom
northernwitch
Pugs4me
DappleDoxieStaff
leslyeb
Rebecca and the Pugs
TxAllieGrl
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Geriatric Wasting - Supplements? - Page 2 Empty Re: Geriatric Wasting - Supplements?

Post  MackandMattiesMom 1/23/2010, 12:36 am

I have no idea if this is helpful or not, but I was fostering a pug mix that was underweight and Sharon (ForeverHopper) gave me this recipe to get him to gain weight and it worked. Not sure if it's what you're asking for or not because I've never dealt with geriatric pugs, but thought I would add it if anyone needs it.

Get 1lb ground turkey (not breast) and brown it in a sauté pan with a little olive oil. Then beat 6 large eggs, pour into the browned meat and stir until cooked.

Divide in little Rubbermaid/Tupperware containers (makes about 8 servings) and add one little tub (about 1/3 cup) to each serving of food.
MackandMattiesMom
MackandMattiesMom

Number of posts : 2609

Back to top Go down

Geriatric Wasting - Supplements? - Page 2 Empty Geriatric Wasting

Post  Guest 1/23/2010, 1:00 am

I am going through this too with my beloved 14 yr old Louie. Just this year he has taken a turn for the worse with respiratory allergies that did not respond to alternative treatments like chinese herbs or homeopathic remedies. He was on Temeril-P but had a rare reaction to it and broke out into sores all over his body. The vet switched him to an antihistamine called Chlorpheniramine and a tiny bit of Prednesone. The sores cleared up but then he developed ulcers on both corneas and is temporarily blind. The vet says his immune system is weak and has suggested two things we are currently using. Transfer Factor Plus Canine Complete by 4Life, a super nutrition supplement in a powder form, and also NK-9 AHCC by American Biosciences. We are in the early stages of coping with the realization that, as our vet said, in human years, Louie is 90 years old! This is new territory for us and we are already grieving for our beloved boy who is the light of our lives. But he still wants to eat and wags his tail now and then. He is skinny and his back bone sticks out too as many of you have mentioned. I so appreciate all the good ideas like more frequent feeding and a higher protein diet. I am going to try some these idea. Thanks to one and all!!!

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2