Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vet says my pug's nostrils might be too small?

5 posters

Go down

Vet says my pug's nostrils might be too small? Empty Vet says my pug's nostrils might be too small?

Post  Guest 1/23/2010, 11:57 pm

Hi there! Happy's mom with a question for anyone who has had a similar issue???

So at my puppy's 8 week appointment my vet said he is in perfect health, her only concern being that his nostrils are really small. She said if they are still small when we bring him in the be neutered at 5-6 months they can laser them open a bit more easily.

Just wondering if anyone has had similar issues and what you did about it?

What are the major concerns about small nostrils? Is this a procedure I should definitely get done or is it unnecessary? I want to do the best by Happy I just don't want to be signing him up for procedures that he could live quite happily without, ya know?

Thanks!

Back to top Go down

Vet says my pug's nostrils might be too small? Empty Re: Vet says my pug's nostrils might be too small?

Post  northernwitch 1/24/2010, 12:07 am

No offense to your vet, but LOTS of vets say that and I tell pug owners that it's TOO early to know at his age and to wait until he's fully grown. IF his nares (nostrils) are too small AND it impairs his day to day living, then MAYBE consider the surgery. But I wouldn't do now for sure and I'm inclined, personally, not to do it at all unless it really does effect his daily living.

You will also get told that they need their palates shorten, their eye lids shortened and many vets tell pug owners that their pug has an enlarged heart. Some do, but many pugs are misdiagnosed because the vet doesn't realize that pugs have BIG hearts (in so many ways) compared to their size.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Vet says my pug's nostrils might be too small? Empty Re: Vet says my pug's nostrils might be too small?

Post  Aussie Witch 1/24/2010, 12:15 am

Totally agree with Blanche.
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  GingerSnap 1/24/2010, 12:20 am

Count me in the wait-and-see camp also. Many many many pugs have small nostrils-- most end up either outgrowing it or end up still having small nostrils but not having any functional problems with it. Honestly, even by the time he's ready to be neutered at 6 months or so, you may still not know if the surgery needs to be done or not. The good news is that it's rarely an emergency situation. If you wait to do it, you can always do it later.
GingerSnap
GingerSnap

Number of posts : 3547

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 1/24/2010, 12:35 am

Thanks All.

I had a feeling, and I was hoping that was the advice I would get! lol

I just don't believe in signing up for the latest or newest etc procedures just because. I'm glad my gut feeling seemed to be correct in this, as Happy is our first dog I just don't know when to trust my gut or not! SO glad to have this forum!

Thank you for your answers! I'll wait and see and hopefully nothing will need to get done. It certainly doesn't impair him in ANY way now, he runs around like a Tasmanian devil! lol

Back to top Go down

Post  pugpillow 1/24/2010, 12:50 am

Thanks for not just taking the vet's say-so. There are so many pugs whose nostrils have grown into their bodies (or is it the other way around?). Pays to do independent research. Good for you.
pugpillow
pugpillow

Number of posts : 944

Back to top Go down

Post  LisaIzzyAggy 1/25/2010, 8:27 am

I agree with what everyone else says, I'd wait it out. I did end up having the laser surgery done on my rescue Aggy but she was 4+ years and having breathing issues.
LisaIzzyAggy
LisaIzzyAggy

Number of posts : 3001

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 1/25/2010, 9:12 am

Ditto what everyone else has said.
Vet said the same thing about Viv but to keep an eye on them, she is 5 now and no problems.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down