Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

house breaking

5 posters

Go down

house breaking Empty house breaking

Post  pugfish 2/8/2010, 1:55 pm

Ollie wont let us know when she has to go potty unless we are by the door. She wont pee in the house she will hold it until we take her out but she has a poopy spot that she runns to when she needs to go. I try to catch her signs and after she eat I wait about an hr and take her out. We can be out there for an hr with me encourgeing her to poop and she wont but as soon as we come in she will run to her corner and poop. We never used puppy pads when we got her cause we didnt want her to think it was ok to go in the house. She is only 8 months old but we got her when she was 3 minths old and it seems like nothing has worked. Ive tried bells on the door and take her paw to hit them when we leave to go out, makeing her jump and scratch the door. house breaking 253213 Nothing please someone give me advice!
pugfish
pugfish

Number of posts : 112

Back to top Go down

house breaking Empty Re: house breaking

Post  northernwitch 2/8/2010, 2:16 pm

Generally, pugs don't ask to go out. There's a couple of articles on this forum that will give you some information on house training and pugs in general. At the topic of this section are two articles: House training and What the Books didn't tell you. They should answer most of your questions.

House training a pug can take a long, long time. Make sure you clean up any accident spots with something like Nature's Miracle or Simple Solutions--In a pinch I use straight white vinegar. You may not be able to smell where she excreted, but she can.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  TxAllieGrl 2/8/2010, 2:18 pm

Most pugs don't signal that they want to go out. Not sure why, but I think the ones that do are few and far between. For that, I watch for body language (sniffing, circling, etc.), and also take them out after play time, naptime, and dinner time.

Only 1 of my 4 truely signals to go outside. And he will go over by the door, sit and then stare at you until you notice.

And they can take a long, long time to potty train. The trick is to make it a total party when they do their business outside. Give them super high value treats (boiled chicken, liver treats, etc.). A standard milkbone will not work. And party it up with lots of praise. You want them to know that going outside is a GREAT thing - fun, and rewarding (with praise and treats).

And you have to ignore it when they go in the house - as in, don't scold them, just pick it up, clean it up and move on. The scolding can lead to hidden potty places (so they don't get caught and scolded some more).

There's an excellent sticky around here somewhere with the potty-training thesis. If I find it, I'll link it here for you.

TxAllieGrl

Number of posts : 5801

Back to top Go down

Post  TxAllieGrl 2/8/2010, 2:19 pm

ah - Blanche & I were posting at the same time.

here's the house training:
http://www.pugauthority.com/training-and-behavior-f20/the-only-housetraining-article-you-ll-ever-need-t506.htm

TxAllieGrl

Number of posts : 5801

Back to top Go down

Post  pugfish 2/8/2010, 2:28 pm

Thank you so much I will surely read that. She will stand by the door to pee but other than that if she has to poo she will poo. Either she will go in her corner or by the door. I dont scould her I just say bad pug and she will come over look and put her head down. I think that she knows she did wrong, but my hubby will make a fuss over it. I tell him I would much rather her poo in the house then pee since pee is SO much harder to get out.
pugfish
pugfish

Number of posts : 112

Back to top Go down

Post  MackandMattiesMom 2/8/2010, 2:50 pm

If you scold her in any way, she will not connect that with pooping in her corner, but with pooping when you can see it. She will sneak off and poop somewhere else. It does no good at all to scold her.
MackandMattiesMom
MackandMattiesMom

Number of posts : 2609

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid 2/8/2010, 3:15 pm

I have learned that Thurston will probably never be totally trained to wait and will never ask to go outside. Instead, I have had to train myself to pre-empt the problem by taking him for a walk at regular intervals. That has worked the absolute best for me.
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Number of posts : 5095

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down