Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Interesting info on Demodex

4 posters

Go down

Interesting info on Demodex Empty Interesting info on Demodex

Post  northernwitch 2/27/2010, 11:05 am

Thought I'd share this with you guys as it was something I didn't know. My foster, Pippin, has a mild case (so far) of demodex and I've been getting some polite pressure from both my vet and the neurologist to treat it with chemicals. I have been very leery of doing this given that (1) it isn't a bad case at all, (2) we are in the process of transitioning him off of Phenobarb and onto potassium bromide so I didn't want to add another chemical and not be able to tell what was causing a reaction (if there was one).
The neurologist said she would consult with the dermatologist about what product was best to use. So I've been waiting patiently to have a fight with the neurologist and my vet about treating or not treating him. To my utter surprise, the dermatologist also agreed that we shouldn't treat Pippin and just let time, diet and stability do the work.

Here's what I didn't know. The dermatologist said that if demodex is going to become generalized (all over the body) it will do so whether you treat it in the early stages (localized) or not. Whacking a dog with ivermectin or promeris or whatever, when demodex is localized will not change whether it becomes worse or not.
He also felt that given the upheaval Pippin has had in the last 2 months, his demodex would already have gone wild if it was going to.

He recommended that we immune boost him, kick up his EFAs and use a follicle cleaning shampoo and maybe use an antibiotic if his follicles start to look inflamed.

I don't get to win these battles very often so it was nice to have the expert on my side for a change.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Interesting info on Demodex Empty Re: Interesting info on Demodex

Post  Aussie Witch 2/27/2010, 2:57 pm

I've never had to deal with it (thank Dog) but that's interesting to know. And glad you stuck to your guns on this one. Pippin is a lucky little guy.
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  couchpugs 2/27/2010, 4:42 pm

so what exactlly are you giving him?

I seem to get the Demodex dogs here at CFPR.. in the past we have always treated with PYoBan shampoo and Ivermectin. Took forever but it eventually worked.....Last dog I had we changed to promeris with NO BATHING .. he cleared up wonderfully fast. Now I have jasper who has had promeris 3 times now a month apart. he doesn't seem to be repsonding well to this at all. I have always given him Vit E,C and fish oil tabs.
couchpugs
couchpugs

Number of posts : 221

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 2/27/2010, 5:49 pm

The only severe case of demodex I've had was Jem and he was in terrible shape--he got ivermectin and antibiiotics as he had all kinds of secondary infections.

For Pippin, I'm feeding him a no grain kibble, EFAs, Perfect Form (digestive supplement from Honest Kitchen) and Missing Link. I may add ModuCare into the mix, but haven't decided. there is a demodex protocol that I've used that is good, but takes a long time to work. I can post it if people are interested or I can just email it to you.

I don't know if we'll do the baths/antibiotics with Pippin. I only found out about all this last night from the neurologist so I'll see what her discharge summary to my vet says.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  TNPUGMOMOF3 2/27/2010, 7:10 pm

The only cases I have had of Demo, two, have been really bad when I got them, so we used the promeris had had great results with both cases. Not saying that will always be the case as each dog is different. I like the missing link also and I have continued to give it to my dogs daily and I think it had cut back on the shedding a tad. I can see where in this case if it is not a bad case where you'd not what the added chemicals and just help him to fight it himself.
TNPUGMOMOF3
TNPUGMOMOF3

Number of posts : 1982

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down