Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Training and round leather collar

5 posters

Go down

Training and round leather collar Empty Training and round leather collar

Post  papaspugs 3/4/2010, 3:55 pm

I have enrolled Lola in basic obedience at our local doggie training facility. It doesn't start until June 1st, but I'm at work and bored so y'all get to listen to my ramblings. Our 1st class is actually an orientation class which I am sure they will tell us what type of collars are and aren't acceptable. Eventually I would like to get Lola good enough to start rally so I want a collar that when she puts it on, she will know it is her "working" collar. We wear harnesses at our house and have fashion collars, but I don't think that our pretty collars are really for working. I am looking at getting a leather collar, but one that is round so that it doesn't rub on her neck. Does anyone have a good link/site or favorite collar they can recommend?
papaspugs
papaspugs

Number of posts : 2297

Back to top Go down

Training and round leather collar Empty Re: Training and round leather collar

Post  Pugsaunt 3/4/2010, 4:51 pm

Just me, but I wouldn't put any kind of collar on a pug for training. I'd insist on a harness. I had one training session in Ohio with a trainer who came very highly recommended. She insisted on a choke collar. We never went back.
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  papaspugs 3/4/2010, 5:12 pm

Good point, because I always say to never walk a pug on a collar, but to use a harness! The only thing is that I am thinking if she puts on a certain collar, lead, harness etc that it will trigger her that she is in working mode, but I may be way off base in my thinking. I guess that I'll just wait to see what the instructor says since she knows Lola from our other sessions.
papaspugs
papaspugs

Number of posts : 2297

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 3/4/2010, 6:30 pm

collars aren't what train the dog... a good trainer is. Just have to know how to do it well without causing harm on the animal. harnesses work great..but i personally wouldnt' suggest a collar

good luck! :)

Back to top Go down

Post  GingerSnap 3/4/2010, 8:16 pm

papaspugs wrote:The only thing is that I am thinking if she puts on a certain collar, lead, harness etc that it will trigger her that she is in working mode, but I may be way off base in my thinking.
I don't think there's anything wrong with that thinking at all! As long as the trainer isn't using leash pops and things like that, I think you're fine.
GingerSnap
GingerSnap

Number of posts : 3547

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 3/4/2010, 8:22 pm

Well, for what it's worth, when I was doing therapy work with my pug, Pete, we had a working harness. He never wore it except when we were going to "work". He knew immediately when that harness was on that we were going to work. And he knew when the park harness was on that we were going to play.

If you can find a collar you are comfortable with and that actually fits a pug (I've never successfully found one that worked for me or that I felt comfortable using), then try it. I will say that most pugs that haven't worn collars before resist them so expect some trouble with it initially.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  agilepug 3/8/2010, 10:06 am

I'm not certain, but I don't think you can compete in rally wearing a harness. A pug is not going to have issues wearing a collar if they're nicely trotting along next to you. No, a "training" collar shouldn't be used, but a collar is fine on a trained pug.

We've never used rolled leather collars, so I'm no help with that, but I think you're on the right track to have a special collar that means training time. My pugs go nuts when their agility leads come out.
agilepug
agilepug

Number of posts : 148

http://www.westoverpugpack.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 3/8/2010, 11:08 pm

agilepug wrote:I'm not certain, but I don't think you can compete in rally wearing a harness. A pug is not going to have issues wearing a collar if they're nicely trotting along next to you. No, a "training" collar shouldn't be used, but a collar is fine on a trained pug.

We've never used rolled leather collars, so I'm no help with that, but I think you're on the right track to have a special collar that means training time. My pugs go nuts when their agility leads come out.
Well, admittedly, I've never done Rally with my pugs. My issue has always been that my pugs have such huge necks that any collar slides right over their head unless strangulation tight. The only dog I've competed with was Lola and it wasn't an issue since her neck isn't massive--just had to be EXTRA watchful as she's got a delicate trachea. I used a harness on her until we were on the course (as she would pull with excitement) then took the harness off for her agility run. And we weren't actually competing--only promoting agility.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down