Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ears!

+3
Tyson&LuLu'sMom
Old Mother Hubbard
akc0104
7 posters

Go down

Ears! Empty Ears!

Post  akc0104 3/27/2010, 10:05 am

Can we talk about ears? Matilda's ears are nasty. We've tried otc meds and prescription liquid from the vet and it hasn't helped. We switched to duck and potato food just to rule out allergies but no change to her ears. Chloe's ears were horrible when she came home but they resolved slowly with the prescription meds.

Any magic potions out there?

Oh, BBBob says his ears are wonderful. He just didn't want to be left out.
akc0104
akc0104

Number of posts : 1742

Back to top Go down

Ears! Empty Re: Ears!

Post  Old Mother Hubbard 3/27/2010, 10:12 am

http://www.amazon.com/Pet-King-Enzymatic-Solution-Ounces/dp/B0025YOJXS

The Zymox Otic with Hydrocortisone worked within 2 days for Wellie. I read great reviews on it before I ordered. Stopped the itching right away.
Old Mother Hubbard
Old Mother Hubbard

Number of posts : 257

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 3/27/2010, 12:14 pm

I agree completely with the Zymox, it looks after yeast and bacteria. I get mine online from Entirely Pets.

Back to top Go down

Post  Tyson&LuLu'sMom 3/27/2010, 5:18 pm

I have used Blue Power Ear Treatment with great success on Tyson and his yeasty ears.
Tyson&LuLu'sMom
Tyson&LuLu'sMom

Number of posts : 3776

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid 3/27/2010, 6:21 pm

I pit Silver Protein in T's ears when they look suspicious.
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Number of posts : 5095

Back to top Go down

Post  Eph91 3/28/2010, 9:19 am

I have a "recipe" for ear cleaner (I decided not to make the Blue Power, b/c the Gentian Violet is very staining, and knowing myself, I'd stain everything with it) that I use--Wally is my dirty ear / dirty nose roll dog:

1/3 cup white vinegar
1/3 cup Witch Hazel
1/3 cup rubbing alcohol
5 drops tea tree oil (no more--I've read this can be toxic at high levels)

I asked my vet about this and he said it's fine to use. However, I'd start with the "real" stuff if there is an infection; this is just for weekly cleaning.
Eph91
Eph91

Number of posts : 2839

Back to top Go down

Post  Amber 3/29/2010, 10:02 am

Old Mother Hubbard wrote:http://www.amazon.com/Pet-King-Enzymatic-Solution-Ounces/dp/B0025YOJXS

The Zymox Otic with Hydrocortisone worked within 2 days for Wellie. I read great reviews on it before I ordered. Stopped the itching right away.

We are always fighting ear infections with Genie as well - can you tell me what it means when the instructions say "Flush the ear after treatment. 1.25 ounces. Do not use in conjunction with other topical ear medications or cleaners." I take it this means flush the ear with water?? How long do you wait before flushing?
Amber
Amber

Number of posts : 2080

http://www.lotusblossomphotography.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Amber 3/30/2010, 9:55 am

Bumping this b/c I still want to know! Genie was all over scratching at her ear again last night.
Amber
Amber

Back to top Go down

Post  PugLady3 3/30/2010, 1:31 pm

Amber wrote:We are always fighting ear infections with Genie as well - can you tell me what it means when the instructions say "Flush the ear after treatment. 1.25 ounces. Do not use in conjunction with other topical ear medications or cleaners." I take it this means flush the ear with water?? How long do you wait before flushing?

Zymox Otic is applied to the ear once daily for 7 days (or 14 days for chronic ear problems). After the course of treatment, you flush the ear with ear cleanser & clean it out as you normally would. Don't use any other medications & don't clean it out until the course of treatment is done (I do wipe the outer ear with a baby wipe or washcloth sometimes to clean off any excess gunk). I'm sure that they recommend using their own ear cleaner solution but I've just been using the Malacetic Otic that I already have here.
PugLady3
PugLady3

Number of posts : 2562

http://www.northernillinoispugrescue.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Amber 3/30/2010, 2:27 pm

PugLady3 wrote:
Amber wrote:We are always fighting ear infections with Genie as well - can you tell me what it means when the instructions say "Flush the ear after treatment. 1.25 ounces. Do not use in conjunction with other topical ear medications or cleaners." I take it this means flush the ear with water?? How long do you wait before flushing?

Zymox Otic is applied to the ear once daily for 7 days (or 14 days for chronic ear problems). After the course of treatment, you flush the ear with ear cleanser & clean it out as you normally would. Don't use any other medications & don't clean it out until the course of treatment is done (I do wipe the outer ear with a baby wipe or washcloth sometimes to clean off any excess gunk). I'm sure that they recommend using their own ear cleaner solution but I've just been using the Malacetic Otic that I already have here.

Thank you so much Brenda! I'm going to order some right now.
Amber
Amber

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Mother Hubbard 3/30/2010, 2:29 pm

Let us know how it works for you. Its on my list of must haves for the boys.
Old Mother Hubbard
Old Mother Hubbard

Number of posts : 257

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down