Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

E-Collars (cones)--hard and soft....???

4 posters

Go down

E-Collars (cones)--hard and soft....??? Empty E-Collars (cones)--hard and soft....???

Post  Eph91 3/30/2010, 8:53 am

I'm showing my ignorance here. After seeing Lola look adorable and pitiful at the same time in her hard cone, I started to wonder when those of you who have soft cones have used them. I get that hard cones are a must for eye issues, but what else?

When is it o.k. to use a soft cone?

Wally will likely be having some surgery to remove a few bumps on his face. At this point, the vet did not find mast cells, but one is on his lip, so he can't really get anything (and that one hasn't changed; it almost just looks like discoloration); but the larger one on his wrinkle has grown a bit recently, (I think), so it's probably time to have them all removed.

I'm thinking this may be an o.k. soft cone issue, or is anything on the face a hard one issue?

And, any sites or places to buy? As I know the ones at the vets may not always be the most comfortable.

Thank you in advance for your information!

Last edited by Eph91 on 3/30/2010, 9:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Eph91
Eph91

Number of posts : 2839

Back to top Go down

E-Collars (cones)--hard and soft....??? Empty Re: E-Collars (cones)--hard and soft....???

Post  Guest 3/30/2010, 9:23 am

I thought you were talking about ice-cream, you know where my mind is!
Sorry luckily I don't have any advice, never had to use one.

Back to top Go down

E-Collars (cones)--hard and soft....??? Empty Re: E-Collars (cones)--hard and soft....???

Post  Eph91 3/30/2010, 9:32 am

That's funny, Donna! I added "E Collar" to the thread. :)
Eph91
Eph91

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid 3/30/2010, 10:51 am

Donna wrote:I thought you were talking about ice-cream, you know where my mind is!
Sorry luckily I don't have any advice, never had to use one.

You must be hungry for breakfast! E-Collars (cones)--hard and soft....??? Icon_biggrin

I've used a soft e-collar when I just need to keep the dog or cat from licking the wound. If the wound is on the face, I think a hard e-collar would be best because you're protecting the face from rubbing on anything.

The soft collar I have is made by i see spot.
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Number of posts : 5095

Back to top Go down

Post  smoochieface 3/30/2010, 1:47 pm

Hard cones for eyes because the donut thingys don't really protect the eyes at all.

Soft cones for keeping them from getting at other wounds on the body. We used a soft donut cone on Bruno after his ACL surgery.
smoochieface
smoochieface

Number of posts : 5123

Back to top Go down

Post  Eph91 3/30/2010, 3:42 pm

I'm guessing just the donut wouldn't be enough for facial stitches? (Not eyes--he's got a bump on his lip and more prominently, on his wrinkle that will be removed at some point.)

I was hoping a soft cone would be o.k. since it's not his eyes, but I do suppose he could rub his face on the cone itself if it's a soft one.

Thanks, Lisa and Kendie and anyone else who replies!

ETA--Lisa, what size do you have of the soft cone? Thanks for the link!
Eph91
Eph91

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 3/30/2010, 6:39 pm

I like those donut ones but yeah..they don't really help protect them from touching their eyes.

now i want ice cream! lol

Back to top Go down

Post  GingerSnap 3/30/2010, 6:56 pm

Honestly, Lex, when Jackson had the lump taken off his lip, he never even tried to mess with his stitches, so he didn't even need a cone. But that may not be true for all dogs.
GingerSnap
GingerSnap

Number of posts : 3547

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid 3/30/2010, 7:01 pm

A Medium is the size you would want for a pug.
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Back to top Go down

Post  Eph91 3/30/2010, 7:14 pm

GingerSnap wrote:Honestly, Lex, when Jackson had the lump taken off his lip, he never even tried to mess with his stitches, so he didn't even need a cone. But that may not be true for all dogs.

That's true, Ginger. I actually remember asking my vet last time we had an operation here (I can't remember who; and he said the same thing. And my guys were o.k.

Not Afraid wrote:A Medium is the size you would want for a pug.

Thanks! Good to know for future ref. When I tried to measure Wally neck to nose, I got about 10", but a large seems big for a short nosed dog!
Eph91
Eph91

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid 3/30/2010, 7:20 pm

A large would be too long and drag on the ground. A Small is actually a good size but doesn't fit around the fat puggy neck, but will suffice with a bit of adjustment of velcro and tie.
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down