Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pugs having their eyes removed

+4
Tyson&LuLu'sMom
Aussie Witch
Maryjo
TxAllieGrl
8 posters

Go down

Pugs having their eyes removed Empty Pugs having their eyes removed

Post  Guest 5/18/2010, 1:14 pm

Hey everyone, my pug was playing with my boxer and he got his eye punctured during the play. I was just told today he needs to get the eye removed. He is going in for the surgery tomorrow. Has anyone else gone through this and have any tips. Anything I should watch for now that he will only be seeing with one eye? THanks

Back to top Go down

Pugs having their eyes removed Empty Re: Pugs having their eyes removed

Post  TxAllieGrl 5/18/2010, 1:17 pm

Hi Mary,

So sorry to hear of this accident. Hopefully Blanche will see this and contribute - she's had a couple of her crew go through this.

As far as post surgery, the cone will be needed until it heals up.

Their sense of depth perception will probably be affected a bit (so be a little careful giving treats at first), but otherwise, they do just fine with 1 eye.

TxAllieGrl

Number of posts : 5801

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryjo 5/18/2010, 1:24 pm

Hello Mary, Welcome to Pug authority.

Many of us here are involved with rescue, and many of us have pugs with one or no eyes.

I have 2 with one eye, and they are fine. They've lost a little of the depth perception, but it hasn't slowed either one of them down, especially my Chloe, who is a pistol!

Pugs having their eyes removed A3817
Maryjo
Maryjo

Number of posts : 4954

http://www.maryjoalaska.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch 5/18/2010, 2:05 pm

Hi and welcome! So sorry your little guy has to go through this, but you have certainly come to the right place to get advice. We have so many pugs on this board (as well as a Queen Pomeranian) who have gone through it, I know, like Maryjo, their owners will be only too happy to jump in and help. If Blanche/Northern Witch doesn't reply to your thread, PM her. We have a beloved friend going through a major health crisis at the moment and I know we're all very distracted.
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 5/18/2010, 2:51 pm

Thank you everyone, this is my first day on this site, I am glad to find such a helpful forum, I have 2 pugs and they are very different then other dogs, I love them to death though.. Hope you all have a great day!

Back to top Go down

Post  Tyson&LuLu'sMom 5/18/2010, 3:32 pm

I thought we were going to have to have Mac's eye removed. Thankfully the ophthalmologist was able to leave it in and performed a bilateral medial canthoplasty (basically stitched the inside corners of each of his eyelids closed a little bit). The recovery was not awful, some urinary incontinence when he first came home-we just put a diaper on him. Also, the cone of shame for a while had to be worn.
As others have said, hopefully Blanche/Northernwitch will see this, she is a wealth of knowledge on this topic.
Mac is completely blind in his right eye, and it doesn't really slow him down at all. He does have a little depth perception issue and occasionally will bump into things. For example-Tyson & LuLu can catch treats when I toss one to them, Mac cannot-he misses every time and loses track of the treat when it hits the floor.
I hope your puggy's surgery goes well and the recovery is smooth. Please update us tomorrow when you have more information!!
Tyson&LuLu'sMom
Tyson&LuLu'sMom

Number of posts : 3776

Back to top Go down

Post  GingerSnap 5/18/2010, 9:50 pm

Although I've got a winker of my own, his surgery was before I got him from rescue, so I wasn't there for the initial adjustment period. His foster mom said that his energy level increased after his surgery-- her hypothesis was that his pain was affecting him more than she thought.

Now, you'd never even know that he doesn't have that eye. His vision isn't great, but that's more because he's got scarring on his existing eye than the lack of his other eye.
GingerSnap
GingerSnap

Number of posts : 3547

Back to top Go down

Pugs having their eyes removed Empty one eye

Post  Miss Pugg 5/18/2010, 10:19 pm

I also have a one eyed Pug lady, she had had it removed before she came to me 7 years ago. She gets along fine and that one eye can really stare.....I also had a Boston who had an eye removed when she was 6 or 7 and she got along just great. I am concerned now that Buffy won't injure her other eye.
Miss Pugg
Miss Pugg

Number of posts : 659

Back to top Go down

Post  pugpillow 5/20/2010, 10:41 am

I've also got a winker who had his eye removed before I adopted him and like the others mentioned, he does fine. Dogs are not as dependent as humans as sight because their sense of smell is so strong. I also make sure I do a lot of touching and verbal cues (I have others who have their eyes but are blind). Good luck with the surgery and recovery, and welcome to PA.
pugpillow
pugpillow

Number of posts : 944

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 5/20/2010, 12:26 pm

I'm the Freaking Queen of Enucleation. Four dogs and four eyes remaining.

The things I can tell you are:
* don't be freaked out if in the first 48 hours, the dog shakes his head and a watery blood spatters all over everything. This is normal. I almost broke a land speed record running Hazel back to the vet. Do keep them quiet for the first several days as you don't want their blood pressure up.

*CONE--A LONG Cone. They are remarkable at finding ways to itch the eye. I have two cones--long for wearing generally and then a short one for eating and pottying.

*Pain control. Make sure your vet sends you home with Metacam or Tramadol. It's painful surgery no matter what the vet says.

*Gate off or barricade anything they could use to itch the eye inside the cone--all bushes or standing weed stumps are either barricaded off or pulled up.

They adapt remarkably quickly. My 13-15 year old pom just had one of her eyes out and I figured she'd be a mess--but she's not and adapted really well.

I have a one eyed pom, a one eyed shih tzu, a no eyed pug and one pug with both eyes. I'm the house of blighted eyeballs.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 5/20/2010, 1:21 pm

Here's my no eyed girl, Hazel. And don't feel sorry for her. she runs, plays with other dogs, goes up and down stairs and generally is as able bodied as any of my dogs--in fact, if she could see, I'd have to kill her as she's so bloody busy. She lost the first eye in 2006 and the last one in 2009 (I think). She was a puppy mill breeder and had dry eye. Eventually both eyes stopped producing tears and I opted to remove them as they were uncomfortable for her.
Pugs having their eyes removed %3Ca%20href=Pugs having their eyes removed Fierce" border="0" />
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 5/20/2010, 5:31 pm

aw, poor little one! I am so sorry to hear. I dont have any experience with such things, however, i hope everything goes well and i send tons of pug hugs and positive vibes!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down