Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Update from Dr. Greer re: PDE

+6
papaspugs
Aussie Witch
smoochieface
Pugsaunt
Renee
Amanda
10 posters

Go down

Update from Dr. Greer re: PDE Empty Update from Dr. Greer re: PDE

Post  Amanda 6/22/2010, 3:28 pm

I emailed Dr Greer last week to see if there were any updates on her research that I could share with the group. I just got the following email. I'm going to ask Kyle to read the publication and see what he thinks since he's a genetics guy. I have the full publication in PDF if anyone would like me to email it to them. Trying to figure out if I can get it posted here but not sure I can.

Hi Amanda,
I have identified the genes that contribute significantly to PDE, and am currently working on getting the genetic test publicly available. The publication should be attached, and below is the general description of our latest work. Please let me know if you have any questions; I would be happy to answer them and review the implications of our findings.
Sincerely,
KA Greer

Our studies of Pug Dog Encephalitis (PDE) have determined that MRI can confirm PDE when interpreted by an experienced veterinary neurologist. We have also determined that anticonvulsant medications aid in the dogs’ comfort and offer extension of lifespan, but do not alleviate the disease (Levine et al., 2008). The anticonvulsant therapies are the primary treatment regimen for extending lifespan when a dog is believed to have PDE; steroids and other treatment plans do not significantly contribute to lifespan extension based on these studies. Furthermore, we identified the genetic components significantly contributing to the development of Pug Dog Encephalitis, and have completed sequencing the genes identified (there are three immune-related genes involved). Their presence has been confirmed in a significant number of affected animals. We have validated the gene combination (ie. “haplotype”) associated with PDE and are able to identify those animals at increased risk for developing PDE. We are also able to identify those animals who have a significantly decreased risk of developing PDE, and those whose haplotype appears to be neutral with relation to developing or resisting PDE. Because the increased, decreased, and neutral risk for developing PDE is associated with several genes, genetic counseling will be necessary to adequately evaluate each animal tested. Currently, we are actively working on verifying the identified alleles in a world-wide population of Pugs to ensure validity of the identified genetic testing methods. Our allele identification needs further validation to be certain we do not inaccurately call any alleles “rare” or “susceptible” when indeed they were simply present in a Pug population primarily outside the USA. These validations and verifications are not anticipated to change the current status of the genetic test developed or the genes identified for PDE, but will merely serve to make the testing results more solid and reliable.

Last edited by Amanda on 6/22/2010, 3:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Amanda
Amanda

Number of posts : 6990

http://www.pugauthority.com

Back to top Go down

Update from Dr. Greer re: PDE Empty Re: Update from Dr. Greer re: PDE

Post  Renee 6/22/2010, 3:36 pm

Good information, and very encouraging to know someone is researching this problem from a genetic standpoint, rather than just reacting to the syptoms.
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda 6/22/2010, 4:11 pm

If you click on the thumbnail below, you should be taken to a site that allows you to download the article.

Amanda
Amanda

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 6/22/2010, 4:31 pm

Identifying the gene sequence is huge! Bless Dr. Greer forever.
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  smoochieface 6/22/2010, 4:56 pm

Wow! That is so much progress. Amanda, can you forward me the email from Dr. Greer? I'd like to send it to my vet. Does she still need donors for her research? If so, I'll mention it to my vet also. She is doing amazing work.
smoochieface
smoochieface

Number of posts : 5123

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda 6/22/2010, 5:07 pm

smoochieface wrote:Wow! That is so much progress. Amanda, can you forward me the email from Dr. Greer? I'd like to send it to my vet. Does she still need donors for her research? If so, I'll mention it to my vet also. She is doing amazing work.
Yes, I'll forward it to you. I'm not sure about donors. I'll have to ask her.
Amanda
Amanda

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch 6/22/2010, 6:55 pm

That is an incredibly significant finding. Thank Dog someone like Dr Greer is working on this. Amanda, can I please copy and paste this for the PDE site?
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda 6/22/2010, 7:17 pm

Aussie Witch wrote:That is an incredibly significant finding. Thank Dog someone like Dr Greer is working on this. Amanda, can I please copy and paste this for the PDE site?
Sure!
Amanda
Amanda

Back to top Go down

Post  papaspugs 6/23/2010, 8:35 am

I am going to talk to my vet to see if we can get Teddy's MRI and DNA sent to Dr. Greer. I have had my suspisions that Teddy died of PDE, but his age didn't fit the parameters. He also had a history of a stroke so that was unusual too. It would put my mind at easy to know though.
papaspugs
papaspugs

Number of posts : 2297

Back to top Go down

Post  GracieNEmma 6/23/2010, 9:39 am

Can you e-mail it to me as well and I'll forward on to my vet? Please and thank you. So glad they are learning more about this awful disease.
GracieNEmma
GracieNEmma

Number of posts : 1065

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda 6/23/2010, 12:12 pm

GracieNEmma wrote:Can you e-mail it to me as well and I'll forward on to my vet? Please and thank you. So glad they are learning more about this awful disease.
Just sent it to you!
Amanda
Amanda

Back to top Go down

Post  TxAllieGrl 6/23/2010, 12:22 pm

I'm going to share this with the DFW Rescue folks. Thanks for following up with her Amanda!!

TxAllieGrl

Number of posts : 5801

Back to top Go down

Post  Tocents 6/23/2010, 12:57 pm

Amanda, could you email me as well? I'd love for my vet to get to see this....
Tocents
Tocents

Number of posts : 512

Back to top Go down

Post  ewoodpugz 7/1/2010, 10:08 am

I think that this is a *massive* step forward and would love to know more about it, especially with regards to the gene pools outside the US.
ewoodpugz
ewoodpugz

Number of posts : 7

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down