Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Got a weird bag of Canidae Kibble

+3
MandyPug
northernwitch
lola's mom
7 posters

Go down

Got a weird bag of Canidae Kibble Empty Got a weird bag of Canidae Kibble

Post  lola's mom 7/22/2010, 9:23 am

I got a large bag of Canidae and mixed in with the regular kibble is a strange looking 3 sided kibble that is a little darker.
I did a little research and it said during processing sometimes the international kibble gets mixed in with the regular kibble but it's the same exact formula. I am not so sure I am buying that story. I'm waiting to call Canidae but they open at 8a Pacific Time.

I have had Lola and Logan on rice and boiled chicken since yesterday because they both have stomach upsets. They were both acting totally normal except for having diarrhea (sp?) Logan seems fine and his poops are getting better but Lola is still having trouble. She has this gel like stuff coming out of her bum bum. It's gross and smells ack sooooooo bad. It's almost like it is seeping out here and there. There will be a Vet visit in her very near future if it's not better by tomorrow. I can also hear her stomach rumbling but that is common to her when she has a belly ache. Makes me want to cry for her! Her tail is up now so we'll see how this plays out.

Now I am not so sure if this is because of the food or did they eat stuff off the ground when I had a dinner party in my yard Saturday night? I am pretty sure people weren't feeding them because they were inside most of the time but came out later in the evening. The bag of Canidae is worrying me. I am going to return it just to be safe and I can't wait to get them on the phone.
lola's mom
lola's mom

Number of posts : 785

Back to top Go down

Got a weird bag of Canidae Kibble Empty Re: Got a weird bag of Canidae Kibble

Post  northernwitch 7/22/2010, 11:26 am

Kerrie:
I actually stopped using Canidae several years ago as they have had some issues and the formula changed. I know there were problems with dogs having diarrhea and ear issues. Since I really wanted no grain--and at that time Canidae wasn't, I stopped using it.

I'd return the food, frankly. Sounds iffy to me.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  MandyPug 7/22/2010, 12:14 pm

northernwitch wrote:Kerrie:
I actually stopped using Canidae several years ago as they have had some issues and the formula changed. I know there were problems with dogs having diarrhea and ear issues. Since I really wanted no grain--and at that time Canidae wasn't, I stopped using it.

I'd return the food, frankly. Sounds iffy to me.

^^^ What she said.

I don't like Canidae for he same reason. Not to mention the quality has gone down a lot since that happened. You can find way better food for a much lower price.
MandyPug
MandyPug

Number of posts : 830

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid 7/22/2010, 1:24 pm

I will Third Blanche's response. I don't trust this brand any longer. They have had many quality control issues over the years and I have completely disregarded the brand at this point.
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Number of posts : 5095

Back to top Go down

Post  lola's mom 7/22/2010, 2:01 pm

Just got off the phone with Canidae. They want a photo of it but of course I am at work and cannot do that until tonight. They also want the info on the bag etc. I asked her if it could possibly be cat food and she said that is what she suspects. She said the cat food is super high in protein and of course Lola does HORRIBLE with high protein. She cannot tolerate it at all. I want to slap somebody!

I was reluctant to switch foods because they do so well on it but I think it is time.
I tried wellness when Lola was a puppy and she really didn't like it. I think I am going to give it another try.

I will take any recommendations you all have as far as what to switch to. It just can't be high in protein. Thanks soooo much for all your help.

Another question - could Lola get pancreatitis from this? I am a worry wart and of course these things happen right when your ready to go away! I'm going away for the night (tomorrow) with my Mom but I am worried sick sick sick!
lola's mom
lola's mom

Back to top Go down

Post  MandyPug 7/22/2010, 2:03 pm

Any of the Acana formulas or the Now! by Petcurean are good formulas. They're both grain free but moderate protein.

My pugs have the opposite problem of yours it seems, they're pretty much carb intolerant and need high high protein.
MandyPug
MandyPug

Number of posts : 830

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee 7/22/2010, 2:16 pm

You could try Natural Balance LID dog food. They have limited ingredients, and are grain free.
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  TxAllieGrl 7/22/2010, 6:36 pm

Renee wrote:You could try Natural Balance LID dog food. They have limited ingredients, and are grain free.

I feed this to my kids (all of them now), and they really do well on it!

TxAllieGrl

Number of posts : 5801

Back to top Go down

Post  pugpillow 7/22/2010, 9:55 pm

This sounds like a prime example of the cross-contamination that can happen in kibble manufacturing facilities.
pugpillow
pugpillow

Number of posts : 944

Back to top Go down

Post  lola's mom 7/23/2010, 12:58 am

pugpillow wrote:This sounds like a prime example of the cross-contamination that can happen in kibble manufacturing facilities.

Yup and I just sent them an email explaining that this is not okay and I will no longer support a product that I cannot trust.
lola's mom
lola's mom

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 7/23/2010, 10:44 am

Kerrie:
Just an FYI for you--getting into the cat food is one of the most common causes of acute pancreatitis in dogs.

I'd switch foods, frankly.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down