Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Training the new puppy question...

3 posters

Go down

Training the new puppy question... Empty Training the new puppy question...

Post  RicaThePugLover 8/30/2010, 2:16 am

For anyone who has used the clicker training method versus just using your voice to get your message across, which worked better for you and does anyone have any training tips for me? I have watched a few Zak George videos on Youtube and I think I understand the basics of clicker training but any tips and tricks would be greatly appreciated since it seems that training will be a long process with a stubborn Pug, lol.
RicaThePugLover
RicaThePugLover

Number of posts : 9

Back to top Go down

Training the new puppy question... Empty Re: Training the new puppy question...

Post  Eph91 8/30/2010, 8:19 am

The idea behind clicker training is that you start with the clicker, and then once the dog has learned the behaviors and does them reliably, you wean them off it. It is a long process, though, and I can tell you from experience, that it really never should end (as I stopped working it and one of my boys isn't as well trained.)

I used to train (I worked at a dog school) with the clicker method, so I wholeheartedly support it. It's faster than anything--it lets the dog know that millisecond that s/he has done it correctly and a reward is coming. It was all positive reinforcement based, which it should be.

As you begin to wean off the clicker on a learned behavior, you give the rewards on a completely irregular basis, so the dog doesn't expect one each time--but this is after the behavior is ingrained.

While you can certainly do some of it on your own (and you must, for practice), I highly recommend getting in a good positive reinforcement-based clicker puppy class. It's invaluable for pet and owner, for training and socialization.
Eph91
Eph91

Number of posts : 2839

Back to top Go down

Post  agilepug 8/30/2010, 10:27 am

I use both, a clicker and a verbal marker. I tend to use a clicker only for teaching very specific behaviors, but you can use them for virtually anything. I don't bother with it for things like sit or down....unless I'm working with a *very* bouncy silly puppy who's all over the place doing a million things, ideally you want to give the reward while they're in the position you're asking for.

"kikopup" has a lot of good videos on youtube too.

agilepug
agilepug

Number of posts : 148

http://www.westoverpugpack.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down