Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Training question…long term "bootcamp"

3 posters

Go down

Training question…long term "bootcamp" Empty Training question…long term "bootcamp"

Post  Javalita 7/18/2011, 9:41 pm

I feel like a failure with her, but at this point I'm not sure where else to turn with Ruby. She has gone to bite Sean a few times since I last posted (protecting me or food) and now the kitten has me reconsidering her training. Obviously, we can't get past this point with her. Maybe we aren't diligent enough, but at this point I'm considering one of those stay for three week sort of training places. There is a very good one near us (positive training, etc.) but it is OUTRAGEOUSLY expensive!

Anyone have experience with these? I'm wondering if they get trained with the trainer, but then they come home and revert back to the same old behavior. I'm sure they work on "retraining" us as well, but I would not be happy if I talked my husband into spending major $$$ and then she comes home the same. Cesar Milan keeps ringing in my ears that we are the ones that need training, but I don't know where to start anymore.

Thoughts?
Javalita
Javalita

Number of posts : 964

Back to top Go down

Training question…long term "bootcamp" Empty Re: Training question…long term "bootcamp"

Post  Saira 7/18/2011, 10:24 pm

I'll be honest. I don't think those are a good option. One, you don't really know what they do when they are there, that would have me worried quite a bit. And most importantly, as you said, a big part of training is the owners. Training in a boot camp environment isn't necessarily going to help once she comes back to your place.

Just my opinion, but I think the interaction between owner and dog is a big part of training; is there maybe someone who could do some intensive training at your place?

Saira
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Training question…long term "bootcamp" Empty Re: Training question…long term "bootcamp"

Post  pugasaurus 7/18/2011, 10:47 pm

I'm sorry that Ruby continues to be such a tough nut to crack. I second what Saira says, I've done some boot camp training for several aggressive dogs and they usually are back to their old tactics within a month or two.

Have you read Ruff Love by Susan Garrett? It is a good description of a bootcamp training program. If you've not read it, check it out. And if I remember correctly, there is a list of resources in the back of the book that can help hook you up with someone in your area who can help you.
pugasaurus
pugasaurus

Number of posts : 1117

Back to top Go down

Post  Javalita 7/18/2011, 10:55 pm

Thanks guys! You are reconfirming my thoughts on it. I'll give the place here a call and see what they have for intensive in-home training. Ruby would be great on a trainer's resume!

I'll look for Ruff Love too -thanks for the tip!
Javalita
Javalita

Number of posts : 964

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira 7/19/2011, 10:48 am

Javalita wrote:Thanks guys! You are reconfirming my thoughts on it. I'll give the place here a call and see what they have for intensive in-home training. Ruby would be great on a trainer's resume!

I'll look for Ruff Love too -thanks for the tip!

We had an adopter adopt a dog from us that is severely dog aggressive. He's 100 percent awesome with people, but you couldn't even walk him without him lunging and snarling. She's been doing intensive training, both in home for a couple months, and now it's graduated to classes with a few dogs, and eventually groups. He's made tremendous progress! But she herself has said half the battle was training herself, there were a lot of things she didn't even realize she was doing that the trainer pointed out was confusing Howie.

Good luck with Ruby, I know she's been a tough nut to crack!
Saira
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down