Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Suggestion re: scratching?

5 posters

Go down

Suggestion re: scratching? Empty Suggestion re: scratching?

Post  Amanda 10/15/2010, 8:33 pm

Lucy is already trying to scratch her incision and I'm sure it'll itch even more as it starts to heal. I have one of Ava's shirts on her now but I'd rather not leave that on her when we're not around in case she gets it tangled up or something. I know she can obviously still scratch with the shirt but I'm just hoping she'd do less damage. Do you think after a few days, it would be OK to wrap her with an ace bandage? I don't even know how well it would stay.

Any other suggestions?
Amanda
Amanda

Number of posts : 6990

http://www.pugauthority.com

Back to top Go down

Suggestion re: scratching? Empty Re: Suggestion re: scratching?

Post  MackandMattiesMom 10/15/2010, 8:45 pm

How about a onesie? Of course, make sure to cut a hole for her tail ... or not! Laughing
MackandMattiesMom
MackandMattiesMom

Number of posts : 2609

Back to top Go down

Post  thminis 10/15/2010, 9:19 pm

Wrapping or not wrapping an incision/laceration is always a tricky situation (at least I think so). I'd ask your vet if they think it would be okay to wrap.

I wish I had more suggestions. A onsie could work. She'll be able to scratch over the fabric, if she really wants, though.

The biggest thing that always comes to mind with staples is how important getting them removed at 10 days is. Sooner and it won't be healed all the way, and later it hurts pretty bad since the skin heals quick at that point. (Although I know you are not the pug mom who will just decide on their own to change the 10 day removal date.)
thminis
thminis

Number of posts : 1139

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee 10/15/2010, 10:45 pm

When Ichi had his lump removed, I bought a dog shirt, that was white cotton. It was nice and snug, so I didn't have to worry about it moving too much on him and getting tangled. You might look into that. But, I like the onsie idea too.

I don't think a bandage would be good, because it won't allow the wound to breathe.
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda 10/15/2010, 11:06 pm

Renee wrote:I don't think a bandage would be good, because it won't allow the wound to breathe.
What if I poke holes in it? Kidding! I'm sure I can find a tighter shirt of Ava's or a onesie. The incision goes a bit down her leg so I had to use a long sleeve shirt and just cut the sleeves enough that she won't trip. The long sleeve just makes it more bulky though. I already have a feeling it may be a long 10 days! She's already dying to scratch the heck out of it.
Amanda
Amanda

Back to top Go down

Post  Puggered 10/16/2010, 3:34 am

Itching is a normal part of the healing process but some dogs apparently have a mild allergy reaction to the suture material or staples. My vet said it was fine to put a little aloe vera cream or paw paw ointment over the suture area to soothe a really bad itch.

So if it is okay with your vet, you could use a soothing cream, I would still put the shirt on over the top so the cream doesn't end up everywhere else! Laughing
Puggered
Puggered

Number of posts : 1517

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda 10/16/2010, 9:34 am

She didn't really mess with it overnight. I left the shirt off while she slept. I switched her from the t-shirt to a onesie this morning. It's not perfect but at least she's not tripping on it.
Amanda
Amanda

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down