Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

So Frustrated!!

+14
DappleDoxieStaff
Lindsey
LisaIzzyAggy
Puggered
HK Pugs
pugasaurus
Aussie Witch
Renee
Miss Pit
northernwitch
TNPUGMOMOF3
Amber
Maryjo
Lilos Mom
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

So Frustrated!! Empty So Frustrated!!

Post  Lilos Mom 11/8/2010, 5:31 pm

Yesterday Jerry & I drove to IN to pick up two owner surrenders coming in. Mind you I had to get up at 4:00am to get ready. So we get to the first home. Reason Pug is being surrendered is because he's always by her and she needs her space!! Are you kidding me!! "Buster" is a little over one and has never been socialized with either people or other dogs. He's a beautiful little guy who's afraid of his own shadow. Now mind you I'm trying to be as nice/kind as I can as this lady is boo hooing about how much she loves him but yet your surrendering him to rescue because he always wants to be by your side or on your lap. It's all I could do to not bitch slap this lady, I was just seething. Now let's go to the next home. "Thor" little black boy they don't really know how old he is but they've had him since a puppy. Thor lives in the garage.....always has...Thor has NEVER been to the vet!! Thor has never even had a bath!! My vehicle stank so bad yesterday it was'nt even funny. Poor Thor has a terrible skin infection. So today Jerry gets Thor to the vet, Thor had a hartz flea collar on under his collar. The flea collar was imbedded into his neck!! They had to sedate Thor to take the collar off and clean his neck.
Why?? Why have a pet and do this to them!! Now tonight after work I get to go to our local humane society to pick up a little girl who's been sitting there for a week. The other two Pug rescues are not taking in Pugs right now. We're busting at the seams and the holidays are upon us. Is there any end to this??
Lilos Mom
Lilos Mom

Number of posts : 714

Back to top Go down

So Frustrated!! Empty Re: So Frustrated!!

Post  Maryjo 11/8/2010, 5:49 pm

How sad. Thank goodness you went and got both of those boys. Thor's owners make me want to kill. You never take your dog to the vet and yet there is an imbedded flea collar?? hair pull And as for the woman who says the pug was too close. WHAT DO YOU EXPECT??? THEY ARE COMPANION DOGS!

I am glad you got both boys out of their bad situations.

Please PM a donation link to me. Meanwhile, bring them up here. We've got homes.

Maryjo
Maryjo

Number of posts : 4954

http://www.maryjoalaska.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Amber 11/8/2010, 6:05 pm

That just makes me sick. Those poor puggies. Both of them. Thank you so much for being their for them and saving them from those morons who owned them. Hug
Amber
Amber

Number of posts : 2080

http://www.lotusblossomphotography.com

Back to top Go down

Post  TNPUGMOMOF3 11/8/2010, 6:09 pm

Totally confirms my feelings about "most" people.... hair pull
TNPUGMOMOF3
TNPUGMOMOF3

Number of posts : 1982

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 11/8/2010, 6:10 pm

Carol:
I hear you. I don't why, but it seems to be getting worse and worse and it's not just the economy. Yes, we have seen a small increase in dogs due to job loss, but what we mostly see is an increase in dogs with owners who just don't give a crap.

And here's my rant for the day--I lay a significant part of the blame for much of what we're seeing on the internet selling of dogs. Kijiji for starters. People can "buy cheap" and don't have to wait--so it fits the requirements of most of the worst owners--dog doesn't cost much and they can get it instantly--or close to it. As someone said to me recently "Why spend $200 on a rescue, go through all the "hassle" of applications, home visits, etc, when someone can get a puppy off of kijiji for $300-400?" Depressing as hell.

Good luck to both dogs, but especially to the little man with the embedded collar. Sadly, I've seen that more than once.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Pit 11/8/2010, 6:12 pm

Is there any way that charges could be pressed against Thor's cruel owners?
Thank you for helping both of these owner surrenders and the pug at the shelter.

Take care,
Trish

Miss Pit

Number of posts : 986

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee 11/8/2010, 6:21 pm

Wow, just wow. I am heartbroken about these poor pugs. People are assholes. For real. I too have seen those poor dogs with the embedded collars. Just needless. What I don't understand is why people view dogs as so expendable? Where is this misconception that dogs don't have feelings coming from? For damn sure, I never ever thoughts dogs didn't / don't have feelings, and I could never imagine doing to a dog what people do every day.

Bless you Carol for all you do. Keep venting away. We are here to listen. And, send them to Alaska. We have homes and space to take pugs.
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch 11/8/2010, 7:11 pm

Just thank DOG these rotten excuses for humanity phoned rescue and not dropped them off at the pound. Poor little guys. Crying or Very sad
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  pugasaurus 11/8/2010, 7:57 pm

Poor little puggies. God love the unwashed masses because I can't.
pugasaurus
pugasaurus

Number of posts : 1117

Back to top Go down

Post  HK Pugs 11/8/2010, 10:08 pm

TNPUGMOMOF3 wrote:Totally confirms my feelings about "most" people.... hair pull

Don't you know it! rant
HK Pugs
HK Pugs

Number of posts : 1550

Back to top Go down

Post  Puggered 11/9/2010, 7:40 am

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Puggered
Puggered

Number of posts : 1517

Back to top Go down

Post  LisaIzzyAggy 11/9/2010, 8:13 am

That is so sad. Thanks for all you do for the pugs Carol, they need you so much. It's to bad we can't figure out a way to get some of them to Alaska.
LisaIzzyAggy
LisaIzzyAggy

Number of posts : 3001

Back to top Go down

Post  Lindsey 11/9/2010, 9:30 am

Ugh... Why are people so clueless and don't research before getting a pet?!? BLAH!! rant

I'm so sad for these little guys. Thankfully, they are getting the care and treatment they need. Thank You. Hug
Lindsey
Lindsey

Number of posts : 2033

Back to top Go down

Post  Lilos Mom 11/9/2010, 10:09 am

Thanks you guys!! I'm sorry I upheaved but dam with us being the only Pug rescue in MI taking in dogs it's really getting stressful. The goob I picked up last night is as cute as a bug!! Her name is "Moxy" she's going to need knee surgery & her teeth cleaned on top of updating her vaccinations but she's just as sweet as can be.

I just received an email that Music City Pug Rescue is closing their doors. I have never in all my years of rescue seen it this bad. Adoptions are way down, applications are few coming in and the phone just ringing off the hook with surrenders & strays. There was a time that I would have choked up when someone cried surrendering their Pug to us. I don't feel that emotion anymore, I've become so jaded doing rescue work. It worries me......
Lilos Mom
Lilos Mom

Back to top Go down

Post  DappleDoxieStaff 11/9/2010, 10:11 am

Lindsey wrote:Ugh... Why are people so clueless and don't research before getting a pet?!? BLAH!! rant

I think because they get a pet as an accessory, with no thought to the pet having a soul or feelings. Just a dumb animal, an object. Something to be shed if inconvenient.
As I read about someone 'needing her space' I reach down to my velcro Doxie, DiNo. If I am still, he is attached. It is comforting and part of who he is. I cannot imagine trying to change him. Or denying the other dogs the attention they want when they ask, which is often. My morning started with all 5 dogs in bed ... even Remington, who is so socially inept, asking for a hug and an ear scratch - while DiNo and Mandy plotted where to bite him as he was invading THEIR bed.
That is my daily soap opera ... I chose it and it is my responsibility to maintain it. But I see their souls. They are FurKids, not animated fur covered objects.
I would happily slap 99% of the people on CL who dump their pets for allergies or moving or whatever ... for them it is their convenience. There is a time and legit reason for rehoming ... but far too often, it is just to simplify someone's life who is unwilling to put out the slightest effort or be inconvenienced.
DappleDoxieStaff
DappleDoxieStaff

Number of posts : 787

http://dappledoxiestaff.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  pugmom32003 11/9/2010, 10:41 am

Dapple Doxie Staff wrote: "That is my daily soap opera ... I chose it and it is my responsibility to maintain it. But I see their souls. They are FurKids, not animated fur covered objects.
I would happily slap 99% of the people on CL who dump their pets for allergies or moving or whatever ... for them it is their convenience. There is a time and legit reason for rehoming ... but far too often, it is just to simplify someone's life who is unwilling to put out the slightest effort or be inconvenienced."

I so very much agree!!! And if anyone doubts that these guys have souls, they should look at the pictures that Saira posted of Sunshine & Tiffany ("Busy Day" post). Those eyes show so much emotion - my heart breaks when I see/hear these stories.

I wish we could get some tougher laws against these so called people - starting with the breeders but going down to the stupid owners! And make them pay financially for the costs that the rescues have to shell out!
pugmom32003
pugmom32003

Number of posts : 307

Back to top Go down

Post  H the P 11/9/2010, 10:48 am

[quote="DappleDoxieStaff]I think because they get a pet as an accessory, with no thought to the pet having a soul or feelings. Just a dumb animal, an object. Something to be shed if inconvenient.
[/quote]
I agree with Anne. Easy come, easy go.
Thank goodness you were able to rescue the 2 boys. Embedded collars are not a pretty sight. Crying or Very sad
I'm sorry to hear that another rescue is to close. Not good news at all. sigh

H the P

Number of posts : 1241

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira 11/9/2010, 10:53 am

Lilos Mom wrote:Thanks you guys!! I'm sorry I upheaved but dam with us being the only Pug rescue in MI taking in dogs it's really getting stressful. The goob I picked up last night is as cute as a bug!! Her name is "Moxy" she's going to need knee surgery & her teeth cleaned on top of updating her vaccinations but she's just as sweet as can be.

I just received an email that Music City Pug Rescue is closing their doors. I have never in all my years of rescue seen it this bad. Adoptions are way down, applications are few coming in and the phone just ringing off the hook with surrenders & strays. There was a time that I would have choked up when someone cried surrendering their Pug to us. I don't feel that emotion anymore, I've become so jaded doing rescue work. It worries me......

I totally agree with all of this, including the being jaded part. I actually don't like the person I've become doing rescue, and think there is a time limit to how long people can do this but unfortunately, they just keep coming and coming. Every once in a long while someone does come along (like the lady with Tiffany and Sunshine) who I think "see, that's the real reason rescues should be around"-it SHOULD be for those who truly have no other resort and want what is best for their pets who they truly love, but too often, it's just become an easy dumping ground for lazy people. All animals are a LOT of work, it's not easy, but they are family.

Last week, we found out a pug (Yankee) that we got from the shelter that was due to be euthanized was dumped there from someone who KNEW about rescue, and had people who were willing to take him in and then surrender him to us, but even that was too much trouble for this moron, she took a pug she had since he was a puppy (and bred, but kept the puppies-he was just too much trouble I guess) and dumped him in one of the worst places in the world. I don't know how you have much humanity left if you do that.

Saira
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 11/9/2010, 12:17 pm

Lilos Mom wrote:

I think most of us in rescue are feeling the same way. The work just eats you alive and at some point, all the empathy goes out of you. I know I'm at that point. I just don't have any empathy or sympathy left in me for the humans in the equation. Oh occasionally we'll get an honest to God legitimate surrender, but they are few and far between. Rescue has become the easy out for most owners. We don't charge a surrender fee (although we've talked about it) like the shelters do, we will help with transporting the dog to the foster home, etc. It's very easy to just dump your dog. And it seems that it's also become acceptable to abuse the rescue volunteers verbally or via email when we can't respond right this minute.

And right now, there are very few places left that I can refer to when we are full and/or broke. Virtually every other rescue is as slammed as we are--pug specific or all breed.

We really are at the point of having to say to ourselves, and mean it, that we simply can't save them all. Some just will get euthanized in the shelter system or otherwise dumped as the rescues struggle to meet a never ending and increasingly heavy need.

I recently took in a pug mix from a humane society in Niagara Falls. He had been returned three times for peeing in the house. One adopter actually sold the dog on kijiji for $300--24 hours after adopting him from the shelter. The two other adopters returned him within 48 hours for messing in the house. Makes you want to start slapping people. He's doing great in foster care and has had few accidents after the first 24 hours.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Back to top Go down

Post  Lilos Mom 11/9/2010, 12:29 pm

Blanche I just finished dealing with an adopter who after (6) days returned our Pug. He is crate trained & housebroken. But was adjusting from a foster home afternoon work schedule to an am routine. So of course he had a few accidents it's par for the course. He's adjusting, this absolute pyscho blew up the rescue line & our rescue email. She had contacted trainers, the vet and had rented dvds on housebreaking.

No one told her what she wanted to hear...give him time to adjust. At this point I try my best to find the best possible homes for these guys and the verbal abuse I took from this lady if I could have reached through the phone I'd have choked her.

People really don't understand we work full time jobs, have families, and try at some point to have a life but are expected to live our lifes around them their wants/needs.
Lilos Mom
Lilos Mom

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira 11/9/2010, 12:43 pm

Lilos Mom wrote:Blanche I just finished dealing with an adopter who after (6) days returned our Pug. He is crate trained & housebroken. But was adjusting from a foster home afternoon work schedule to an am routine. So of course he had a few accidents it's par for the course. He's adjusting, this absolute pyscho blew up the rescue line & our rescue email. She had contacted trainers, the vet and had rented dvds on housebreaking.

No one told her what she wanted to hear...give him time to adjust. At this point I try my best to find the best possible homes for these guys and the verbal abuse I took from this lady if I could have reached through the phone I'd have choked her.

People really don't understand we work full time jobs, have families, and try at some point to have a life but are expected to live our lifes around them their wants/needs.

Yup. And Yup. And Yup.
Saira
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 11/9/2010, 12:49 pm

Lilos Mom wrote:Blanche I just finished dealing with an adopter who after (6) days returned our Pug. He is crate trained & housebroken. But was adjusting from a foster home afternoon work schedule to an am routine. So of course he had a few accidents it's par for the course. He's adjusting, this absolute pyscho blew up the rescue line & our rescue email. She had contacted trainers, the vet and had rented dvds on housebreaking.

Yep. We're seeing a higher "adopter return" these days as well. We've had dogs returned after YEARS of adoption. Now some of those are legitimate, but we're seeing an increasing number of folks who just don't want to be bothered any more. Especially people who have had a child. We recently got a dog returned 5 years after adoption. They have a toddler, they are essentially ignoring the dog and crating her for massive amounts of time and basically told us that their child is their priority and if the dog can't adjust then she needs to come back to us. And we screen our potential homes carefully.

It makes you question your judgement. Makes you think that either you don't know what you're doing or you have to make unreasonable rules--never to adopt to anyone who might ever have a child. And yet, we have other adopters who had children and they integrated the dog beautifully.

I don't know. I will say that all the years of being in rescue and especially the last number of years coordinating a rescue have made me a very cynical and suspicious person. Nothing surprises me anymore. I've come to expect people to be idiots and I've come to believe that no matter how carefully we screen, we can never really relax about adoptions. And that is a very bad place to be.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Back to top Go down

Post  DappleDoxieStaff 11/9/2010, 12:57 pm

**Especially people who have had a child. We recently got a dog returned 5 years after adoption. They have a toddler, they are essentially ignoring the dog and crating her for massive amounts of time and basically told us that their child is their priority and if the dog can't adjust then she needs to come back to us.**

I apologize upfront to the parents here, since they are obviously not the object of my point of view ... but the mind set that Blanche describes absolutely infuriates me.
Yup, kids are hard. yup, pets are hard ... but it is not impossible to do both and do them well ... as the parents here do.
Seems if they can casually discard a loving and utterly dependent dog that was in the home before the child ... Social Services needs to look at their parenting. What happens if the child becomes to difficult? Or interferes with career or social life??
I grew up in a pet-centric household. I eschewed teething biscuits for Milk Bones because that is what Tony & King ate for their teeth. I napped with dogs, I traveled with dogs, went to Dog Shows, had dog chores. I was prolly more important than the dogs ... but we co-existed pretty darn well!
DappleDoxieStaff
DappleDoxieStaff

Back to top Go down

Post  pugasaurus 11/9/2010, 1:00 pm

My question that I found myself asking after awhile was are these people that cavalier about everything in their life? I really wish we could spay and neuter people sometimes.

In the old Petsmart days, we'd get people who wanted us to diagnose their sick dog or cat and would argue and get pissed when we would tell them to see a vet. I got yelled at on little yellow sticky notes once when I couldn't tell some deaf lady what was wrong with her cat.

And then there was the time a couple bought their kid who had some weird rash all over her if we knew what it was. Nasty! We told them to get the kid to a doctor but they headed back to the vet. Spay/neuter candidates if ever I saw them!
pugasaurus
pugasaurus

Number of posts : 1117

Back to top Go down

Post  DappleDoxieStaff 11/9/2010, 1:03 pm

pugasaurus wrote:My question that I found myself asking after awhile was are these people that cavalier about everything in their life? I really wish we could spay and neuter people sometimes.

Amen!! ... again, with apologies to the parents here who obviously are not in that category!
DappleDoxieStaff
DappleDoxieStaff

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next