Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Update on Manny

+2
lindarpugma
Newsie96
6 posters

Go down

Update on Manny Empty Update on Manny

Post  Newsie96 6/8/2009, 1:14 pm

My mom had Manny evaluated by a vet at Tufts Unversity. She filled out all this paperwork, our vet filed a report and we did it by "vetfax" so we wouldn't have to take a trip up there. They came back the the diagnosis that his aggression is fear-based. Because we got him at 1 (I was his foster mother) we aren't sure if he was properly socialized before age 1, which is crucial. (He was also boarded for 2+ weeks before he came to rescue because the divorcing couple didn't know what to do with him. The husband kept the Chow, the wife couldn't keep Manny.)

And his aggression has gotten worse in the last year, which is typical and "normal" for his age. They are doing some behaviorial modifications, some meds and diet changes.

First, we (my mom and I) are taking him back to class. In the meantime, we're working on "watch me."

Second, he is on prozac. A small dose at first, then they will play around to find out which works best.

Third, Manny has to be on a low-protein diet. No more chicken treats, cheese or peanut butter. (This will make training harder, but we'll figure it out.) My mom is going to change him from Wellness to Canidae lamb and rice. The protein can block the seratonins in his brain. He's also been prescribed more exercise, which releases these seratonins. (My dad and he now do a mile at lunch. When it gets hotter, I'll instruct my dad to take him to the park early in the morning.)

There is hope, but the vet warned that he won't be 100% and my mom and dad will still have to handle him with strangers, etc. They are also recommending a pug muzzle. They also make a gentle leader for pug noses that will be used when strangers come.

My mom is a bit overwhelmed but Manny is their son and he has done a world of good for my dad's recovery. We'll do whatever it takes.
Newsie96
Newsie96

Number of posts : 996

Back to top Go down

Update on Manny Empty Re: Update on Manny

Post  lindarpugma 6/8/2009, 1:51 pm

I think you will find that the prozac will mellow him out as well as the training. I posted a bit ago about Buddy and his resource guarding (as well as being afraid of everything) and it has helped him alot.
lindarpugma
lindarpugma

Number of posts : 593

Back to top Go down

Post  Newsie96 6/8/2009, 1:54 pm

lindarpugma wrote:I think you will find that the prozac will mellow him out as well as the training. I posted a bit ago about Buddy and his resource guarding (as well as being afraid of everything) and it has helped him alot.
The only thing the vet was concerned about was that he'd lost his appetite. In that case, he's go off the prozac and we'd have to go slower with it.

I suggested to my mom that he get used to the prozac this week and then she start changing his food. If she does too much all at once, and he stops, we won't know if it's the drugs or the food. (And Manny has been known to not want his kibble on occassion for a day or two, just because he's a brat!! LOL)
Newsie96
Newsie96

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch 6/8/2009, 5:16 pm

Sounds like you and your folks are taking the best course of action for the little guy. What happened with the guy he bit - did he report Manny or take it any further?
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  Puglove2 6/8/2009, 7:01 pm

i wish manny and your parents the best of luck. sounds like they are doing all the right things.
Puglove2
Puglove2

Number of posts : 1943

Back to top Go down

Post  Newsie96 6/8/2009, 9:53 pm

Knock on wood, my parents haven't heard anything from him.
Newsie96
Newsie96

Back to top Go down

Post  smoochieface 6/9/2009, 2:12 am

Fingers crossed for the new plan. Good for your parents for sticking with it like this. It would feel overwhelming to me, too.
smoochieface
smoochieface

Number of posts : 5123

Back to top Go down

Post  MommaJones 6/9/2009, 8:34 am

I hope this helps poor Manny (and your parents). I'm sure it feels overwhelming, but it will get easier as they settle into it.
MommaJones
MommaJones

Number of posts : 3761

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down