Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Zoe update

5 posters

Go down

Zoe update Empty Zoe update

Post  PugLady3 12/29/2010, 4:13 pm

The results of Zoe's bile acids test came back today & everything looks good. No indication of a liver shunt & the high amount of phenobarbitol that she's on doesn't seem to be causing her any trouble (yet). She's had grand mal two seizures so far that we've seen, so now we have to decide - do we leave things "as is" as far as medication or try to wean her down to a lower dosage and see what happens? I've been doing some reading & I want to add a milk thistle supplement to her diet to try to protect her liver. She's doing much better on the fearfulness front - still not crazy about being touched unless she initiates it. She'll jump up on the couch & lay next to us & gets quite snuggly as long as we don't touch her too much. She also really likes to lay under a blankie - as some of you have probably seen in my FB profile pic. Her black diva-ness is starting to shine through (especially at meal time! Laughing ). So...good progress and I suppose that she's adoptable to the right home when & if it comes along. Now I just have to talk myself into letting her go. ashamed
PugLady3
PugLady3

Number of posts : 2562

http://www.northernillinoispugrescue.org

Back to top Go down

Zoe update Empty Re: Zoe update

Post  Renee 12/29/2010, 4:17 pm

Oh Brenda! Yes, that letting go part is difficult!

I'm glad no liver shunt. I'm not sure on the medication, as I have no experience in that department... but, I'm sure you will make the right decision.
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  PugLady3 12/29/2010, 5:22 pm

After a lengthy discussion with my vet (who I love!), we're going to put her on potassium bromide for awhile to see how she does and then probably back down the phenobarbitol later. Potassium bromide takes awhile to build up in their system & if we try weaning her off of the pheno. first without that as a back up, we would just be setting her up for more seizures. So she'll probably be sticking around for awhile (oh darn! Laughing ) while we try to get her medications switched & the seizures stabilized.
PugLady3
PugLady3

Number of posts : 2562

http://www.northernillinoispugrescue.org

Back to top Go down

Post  TxAllieGrl 12/29/2010, 5:26 pm

Brenda - I'm glad to hear it isn't a liver shunt, and so far she's tolerating the meds. Give her a gentle hug from me!!

TxAllieGrl

Number of posts : 5801

Back to top Go down

Post  sallyandtilly 12/29/2010, 6:59 pm

I wish Zoe the best of everything. I hope she soon realizes that a human touch is a very good thing.
sallyandtilly
sallyandtilly

Number of posts : 3150

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch 1/2/2011, 6:22 am

Oh Brenda, poor little thing! I'm glad it's not a liver shunt, and hopefully it's just idiopathic epilepsy at the worst. Glad she's in your care. hug dog
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down