Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How do you start a Pug Rescue?

+8
Pugsaunt
The Doggy Mommy
Brenda
Saira
northernwitch
TNPUGMOMOF3
LisaIzzyAggy
tigerfan182
12 posters

Go down

How do you start a Pug Rescue?  Empty How do you start a Pug Rescue?

Post  tigerfan182 1/13/2011, 5:53 pm

The Pug Rescue organization in Nashville, TN has closed. I am interested in learning more about starting one. Can anyone give me some advice? Pros/Cons. I know nothing so any advice, warnings, encouragement would be appreciated. We currently have two Pugs in our family. I am concerned about what will happen to the Pugs in this area that need help. Thanks for your comments.
tigerfan182
tigerfan182

Number of posts : 6

Back to top Go down

How do you start a Pug Rescue?  Empty Re: How do you start a Pug Rescue?

Post  LisaIzzyAggy 1/13/2011, 6:03 pm

I don't have any experience to share with you but there are tons of other people who do and will be chiming in soon. I just wanted to welcome you to PA. welcome
LisaIzzyAggy
LisaIzzyAggy

Number of posts : 3001

Back to top Go down

Post  TNPUGMOMOF3 1/13/2011, 6:47 pm

I used to work with Rita at Music City. It's a lot of work. It gets overwhelming. I am about 2 hrs from you in Jackson, TN. I suggest that instead of starting a rescue you could volunteer to foster for SEPRA and talk to Brenda or DeAnna that are here on this borad, or MAPR. MAPR has a rep that lives in Columbia, near you, and she would love another foster home as an option. Her name is Karen Rench and if you are really interested I can provide both rescue's contact info. i have fostered for both and they are both great organizations. I will messge you my cell if you are interested.

Marci
TNPUGMOMOF3
TNPUGMOMOF3

Number of posts : 1982

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 1/13/2011, 7:22 pm

Yep. A rescue can quickly get overwhelming and the financial commitment is downright staggering. Your best bet would be to work with existing rescues, get some idea of what you'd be dealing with. Then if you still think you want to start an additional rescue, you have some background, experience and a network to help you.

Welcome to PA.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira 1/13/2011, 7:28 pm

northernwitch wrote:Yep. A rescue can quickly get overwhelming and the financial commitment is downright staggering. Your best bet would be to work with existing rescues, get some idea of what you'd be dealing with. Then if you still think you want to start an additional rescue, you have some background, experience and a network to help you.

Welcome to PA.

Yes, I agree with what the others said. I was part of a group that started a rescue here in Vegas, but we luckily had help. There were two ladies who used to run the rescue, and they retired, so they were able to offer us guidance, and had a bit of a network already in place. However, even then, it was (and is) pretty overwhelming. If you can partner with an existing rescue, that would be great. There was A LOT that I didn't know when I got into rescue, and I wish I had been more prepared. If you decide to start your own, you'll need to see about getting your 501c3 status (which is a big pain in itself Very Happy ), and getting a board, etc. We can all help you, and thank you for wanting to help the pugs in your area. Welcome aboard!

Saira
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Brenda 1/13/2011, 8:43 pm

Thank you for considering this! As others said, starting a rescue can be overwhelming - but it can also be done. It depends on how much time you have to commit to it really. If you do really want to start one of your own, many of us can help. I've been running SEPRA now for about 12 years. Took it from a tiny organization to what it is today.

The main thing you would need to start one up is financing. Many new rescues will organize and fund raise before they even consider taking in animals so there are funds to vet them.

If you do want to start one, let us know more and how we can help. Or if you do want to foster or help volunteer with SEPRA, you can let me know. SEPRA and MAPR are trying to take in the pugs from Nashville as of now.
Brenda
Brenda

Number of posts : 2221

Back to top Go down

How do you start a Pug Rescue?  Empty I also want to learn more about rescue!

Post  The Doggy Mommy 1/28/2011, 2:44 am

I feel so stupid and want to help out in any way that I can with our local rescue. I know it is overwhelming and I feel if I can be educated that I can help even more. Very Happy
The Doggy Mommy
The Doggy Mommy

Number of posts : 7

http://www.thedoggymommy.com/

Back to top Go down

How do you start a Pug Rescue?  Empty Update from Tigerfan182

Post  tigerfan182 7/9/2011, 1:01 pm

Three months ago we had two pugs, Saban and Deuce. Then in March we got Clara Belle as a Foster from Sepra. She is a little doll, black with a white spot on her chest and one white paw. Last month we got Lily. She is my youngest sons Pug that had some issues(serious brain and abdominal trauma and lost her sight in both eyes). Our Vet stayed up with her all night the first night she was there and luckily she pulled through. She is living with us now so we have gone from two to four in 90 days. It gets a little hectic at feeding time but they are worth it. Right after we got Clara Belle there was an article in the Nashville paper about a puppy mill that was shut down in the area. There was a picture of two pugs along with the article. I showed it to my wife. She told me "You can't save them all." We got Lily anyway.
tigerfan182
tigerfan182

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 7/9/2011, 2:31 pm

Bless you for caring about the puggies! And welcome to PA. There is a wealth of information here, and it sounds like you are off to a good start.

The Doggy Mommy wrote:I feel so stupid and want to help out in any way that I can with our local rescue. I know it is overwhelming and I feel if I can be educated that I can help even more. Very Happy
Welcome to PA - as I said, there are a lot of knowledgeable people here who are very much involved with rescue. I'm sure that SNPR would love to have you volunteer.
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  GingerSnap 7/9/2011, 2:38 pm

Sounds like you've got your hands full!!!! Did you ever talk to SEPRA and MAPR about helping them with fostering, fundraising, transports, etc? Please post pictures of your gang-- we'd love to get to know y'all better!
GingerSnap
GingerSnap

Number of posts : 3547

Back to top Go down

Post  akc0104 7/9/2011, 3:02 pm

Hi! Are you still fostering Clara Belle? My name is Lisa and we met when I transported her to you. Very Happy I fell in love with her during the drive, do you have any pictures of your gang?
akc0104
akc0104

Number of posts : 1742

Back to top Go down

Post  Deanna 7/9/2011, 5:59 pm

Hi ken,

Its Deanna!! I helped get Clara Belle to you guys. I keep waiting for Heather to tell me the perfect family is coming along for Clara but not yet. That just means the perfect family hasn't found her yet. So glad you guys got Lily also. When I talked to your vet ont he phone to set him up he was so nice and only had positives to say about you and your family.
Deanna
Deanna

Number of posts : 349

http://www.pugrescueofmo.com

Back to top Go down

Post  PugLady3 7/9/2011, 9:43 pm

tigerfan182 wrote: I showed it to my wife. She told me "You can't save them all." We got Lily anyway.

Well bless your hearts (both of you!). I don't know what I would do without my husband's support on this crazy rescue roller coaster that we ride. Every time we get one adopted out or lose one, another one comes along that needs our help. It's a never ending cycle but we wouldn't have it any other way. You're obviously cut from the same cloth as many of us here on this forum! How do you start a Pug Rescue?  27965
PugLady3
PugLady3

Number of posts : 2562

http://www.northernillinoispugrescue.org

Back to top Go down

How do you start a Pug Rescue?  Empty Pictures

Post  tigerfan182 7/10/2011, 9:03 pm

I put pictures in my avatar. From left to right - Deuce, Saban, Clara Belle and Lily.
tigerfan182
tigerfan182

Back to top Go down

Post  Brenda 7/11/2011, 12:52 pm

Hi Ken and thanks for fostering for SEPRA! Love the new avatar.
Brenda
Brenda

Number of posts : 2221

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down