Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I think i have an alpha male

+2
agilepug
vicpap31
6 posters

Go down

I think i have an alpha male Empty I think i have an alpha male

Post  vicpap31 1/31/2011, 11:24 am

Hello fellow pug lovers. As you may know i have a 2 and 1/2 year old pug female lucy and just adopted a 3 and 1/2 month old male pug rocco. I think i have an alpha or maybe its just puppy behavior. He takes everything from Lucy- i give her a bone and he takes it. He gets up on the couch and moves her out of her spot. When she comes to sit with me he runs her off my lap. I feel so bad for her. I have to pen him when she eats or he will steal her food. I really want my children to get along but hes making it hard. ANy training suggestions??? thanks vickie

vicpap31

Number of posts : 36

Back to top Go down

I think i have an alpha male Empty Re: I think i have an alpha male

Post  agilepug 1/31/2011, 11:30 am

Sounds like a normal puppy to me. Just make sure to spend quality time with each of them, separately and together. Your older pug *may* start to let the puppy know what is and isn't acceptable (or not) as he gets a bit older.
agilepug
agilepug

Number of posts : 148

http://www.westoverpugpack.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  pugasaurus 1/31/2011, 12:21 pm

Dogs are like humans when it comes to the youngsters. We'll let them get away with many behaviors as youngsters that we won't as adults. Many trainers call it the "puppy license" and the license will expire as they reach maturity, usually most adult pugs will start calling the youngster on their behavior when the puppy gets around 7 or 8 months old.
pugasaurus
pugasaurus

Number of posts : 1117

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira 1/31/2011, 1:02 pm

agilepug wrote:Sounds like a normal puppy to me. Just make sure to spend quality time with each of them, separately and together. Your older pug *may* start to let the puppy know what is and isn't acceptable (or not) as he gets a bit older.

Yup! Sophie does this. She got away with it when she was a puppy but the boys eventually let her know that wasn't going to fly. Indy puts a stop to it immediately, Hooligan only snaps at her when he feels it's important. It's pretty normal pug puppy behavior. Feeding separately is a good idea anyways, all mine have their own spots and have learned not to steal the others.
Saira
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sallyandtilly 1/31/2011, 1:48 pm

Sounds like normal puppy behavior. Those little stinkers can get bossy.
sallyandtilly
sallyandtilly

Number of posts : 3150

Back to top Go down

Post  Puggered 2/1/2011, 1:58 am

Yep. What everyone else said. Had a baby puppy here for a few weeks, I made sure the others all had time away from her. Boots didn't take any nonsense and put her in her place fairly quickly but Cheddar is too polite. He would enjoy playing with her for about 20 minutes and then he'd clamber on top of a kennel on the back deck to get away from her. He looked like Snoopy! He played all day with the 5 month old that was here a few weeks beforehand.
Admittedly the baby is absolutely feral - I told the breeder to pick a gentle name hoping she wouldn't be a black diva but she called her Pearl! 'Nuff said! Laughing
Puggered
Puggered

Number of posts : 1517

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down