Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Have you heard of PLE in dogs?

4 posters

Go down

Have you heard of PLE in dogs? Empty Have you heard of PLE in dogs?

Post  Miss Pugg 4/21/2011, 9:10 pm

Is anyone on this board familiar with Protein Losing Enterpathy? PLE?
Jasmine, the Boston Terrier, has been on the sick side for over a year & a half and we are at the vet's about every other week. I once asked my former vet if J. might have PLE and she poopooed it, no way. She was treated for IBD (which can cause PLE, I hear) but she continued to lose weight, her backbone sticks out badly, her abdomen is large and she weighs an unhealthy 11 pounds (down from 15 lbs. when I got her from rescue 5 years ago). She's 10 years old and my former vet has done 5 complete AK (applied kineseology) tests on her for allergies, only could eat Solid Gold Mellania, now changed to WolfKing. She took about 11 pills a day, including Prednisone daily. I got fed up with this poor thing looking so sickly and asked here for advice about taking her to a new vet. Advice was great, we went to the new vet yesterday, and he found all kinds of things wrong with her. First, he's cutting down Pred gradually, putting her on rabbit kibble and canned only, oh yes baked sweet potatoes too, taking off more medicine, blood, urine and fecal tests, worming her, doing some kind of a complicated fecal test Wed. and generally showing much interest in her. She likes the rabbit food. If not, the next step would be kangaroo (are you listening Rona?) I put this on Facebook last night but was too upset with my former vet to put it here. I still have two Pugs who probably will continue to go to her tho as she has done very well with them. The new vet is 60 miles away round trip but what I've seen so far, I like. His office crew and techs are wonderful, esp. one who is involved with rescue in the small town there. I thank all of you who encouraged me to switch. I guess I was too close to the situation to see what a horrible speciman Jasmine was and needed some prodding to get going on a change. Her left eye is starting a cataract, something I heard is not rare for using Pred., as well as liver problems and diabetes. So much for an IPad!!!! It couldn't cuddle nearly as well as dear Jasmine.
Miss Pugg
Miss Pugg

Number of posts : 659

Back to top Go down

Have you heard of PLE in dogs? Empty Re: Have you heard of PLE in dogs?

Post  northernwitch 4/21/2011, 9:32 pm

Yes, We currently have a dog in foster care with a type of PLE called Intestinal lymphangiectasia (the most common cause of PLE). She is on prednisone and a special diet, but was on another med the name of which escapes me.

Here are some good links on PLE in dogs:

http://www.televets.com/articles/dogs/protein-losing-enteropathy-in-dogs-cats.html

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_intestinal_lymphangiectasia.html

http://ezinearticles.com/?Protein-Losing-Enteropathy-in-Dogs&id=2290600
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  pugpillow 4/21/2011, 10:47 pm

northernwitch wrote: She is on prednisone and a special diet, but was on another med the name of which escapes me.

The other med was azathioprine.
pugpillow
pugpillow

Number of posts : 944

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 4/22/2011, 10:16 am

pugpillow wrote:
northernwitch wrote: She is on prednisone and a special diet, but was on another med the name of which escapes me.

The other med was azathioprine.
Same med Maisie was on for her Evan's syndrome, I think. Thanks Hilary
northernwitch
northernwitch

Back to top Go down

Post  Rebecca and the Pugs 4/22/2011, 11:33 am

When Jewel was being treated for severe IBD a few years ago, this was something they were looking at. She didn't pull through so we never got that far with the treatment.
Rebecca and the Pugs
Rebecca and the Pugs

Number of posts : 2936

Back to top Go down

Have you heard of PLE in dogs? Empty PLE - Jasmine

Post  Miss Pugg 4/22/2011, 9:50 pm

Thanks folks. One site Blanche sent says no fiber for a dog with PLE and here my vet has had her on Metamucil and plain pumpkin for months! Shove the fiber down her, she said. Jasmine is doing better today and had 2 hard BM's which is unusual for her. Of course, she had several runny ones too but she's only been on this regimen for 2 days. The new vet actually spent over an hour and a half with us trying to get to the bottom of this, had several tests, blood, urine, fecal with more this coming Wed. Her stools are blackish in color but the kibble is black so I'm assuming it's from that. Thank dog, she loves the rabbit kibble and canned..... So Rona I guess we won't need you to send me a few kangaroos....
Miss Pugg
Miss Pugg

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 4/22/2011, 9:58 pm

Joanne:
There's actually an online support group for owners of dogs with PLE. You might want to check it out. Much as I respect vets, nothing beats talking to owners who are living the experience. I hooked our foster parent up with this group.

http://www.savelouie.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=9
northernwitch
northernwitch

Back to top Go down

Have you heard of PLE in dogs? Empty PLE Jasmine

Post  Miss Pugg 4/23/2011, 10:56 am

Thanks Blanche. I was up last night/this a.m. reading the info you sent me. The support group sounds great. I'm trying to get registered so I can write but so far, I can't get the silly code right. It looks like this info is just what I want and need for Jasmine (a Pug wearing a Boston Tuxedo). She's been ailing for months and while my former vet did keep her alive, she did nothing towards easing her problems. Thanks so very much!@!!!!!!!!! Jasmine sends her love too.
Miss Pugg
Miss Pugg

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down