Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SEPRA closing to intake for a little while :(

+7
GingerSnap
Renee
TxAllieGrl
Rebecca and the Pugs
Saira
northernwitch
Brenda
11 posters

Go down

SEPRA closing to intake for a little while :(  Empty SEPRA closing to intake for a little while :(

Post  Brenda 4/25/2011, 7:55 pm

We've posted this publicly now. I am so sad to do this, but it's a necessity for now.

To: Members of the SEPRA family
Re: State of SEPRA

Dear Friends:

You are receiving this message because of your support of SEPRA in the past, either through volunteering, adopting, participating in Pugfest, or financial support. Over the last 3 years, SEPRA has struggled, as many rescue organizations have, to keep up with the influx of Pugs and Pug Mixes needing rescue. The economy has caused folks to lose their jobs, or homes, many times at the detriment of their pets--pet owners to forgo routine veterinary care, heartworm medication, anything, just to keep going. Eventually, it ends up with a call to SEPRA begging us to take their dogs. Backyard breeders realize the business is no longer profitable, so they want to “get rid of their breeding stock”. Shelters are busting at the seams. The dogs coming in to SEPRA are older, sicker, and the families willing to adopt, are fewer and far between. Only through the efforts of a small group of dedicated volunteers has SEPRA been able to hold everything together.

Due to other rescues closing, we now cover Georgia, Alabama, North Florida, South Carolina, Tennessee, Missouri and Illinois, and we are the only Pug rescue in that coverage area that will take a Pug Mix. We have almost 60 dogs in foster care with a waiting list of 10-15 dogs waiting for an opening. We find ourselves in financial trouble. As of last week, we owe American Express $20,000.00 for Veterinary bills. We have never been in this situation before. Last week the board decided that we will close to all dogs coming in, whether they are owner surrender or a dog in a high kill shelter. We will concentrate on getting the dogs we have healthy and adopted. We are hoping to be able to actively take dogs again in August.

We need your help—what kind? For the following:

• To take on the organization of a fundraising project,
• To scour the internet for grant opportunities,
• To transport dogs to the Vet during the day, or to foster homes
• To be a foster home—even for the interim
• To adopt a senior or special needs dog
• To donate cash

We need your help to survive, that is the bottom line. Please contact us via info@rescuepug.com if you are willing to take on the challenge, donations can be made via the SEPRA website.

From the bottom of our hearts we appreciate so much what you have done for us in the past, and we know that if we band together, we can get through these tough times.

Sincerely,

SEPRA Board of Directors
Brenda
Brenda

Number of posts : 2221

Back to top Go down

SEPRA closing to intake for a little while :(  Empty Re: SEPRA closing to intake for a little while :(

Post  northernwitch 4/25/2011, 8:12 pm

I'm sorry, Brenda. It's a really hard decision to make, but is the right one. And if people understood how often rescues are on the brink, maybe they'd be more understanding. I don't know. The well isn't bottomless.

We aren't anywhere near as big as you guys and I've just closed intake as I have no room and no where to board dogs right now. And many of my foster homes, me included, are exhausted and really need a break.

And we are also seeing whole litters of dogs--pugs and pug mixes--being dumped in shelters and rescues as the millers/farmers and backyard breeders can't sell them.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

SEPRA closing to intake for a little while :(  Empty Re: SEPRA closing to intake for a little while :(

Post  Saira 4/25/2011, 8:14 pm

I'm sorry Brenda. We've been close to the brink lately, and like you, we just can't adopt out the seniors and special needs...which leaves very little room for incomings. Things are getting worse and worse out there. I hope you guys get the help you need!
Saira
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Rebecca and the Pugs 4/25/2011, 8:17 pm

We haven't had an application in months. Not even a reject application. I have been paying for Peachy's hospice expenses because pugs aren't moving. So sorry you guys have to do this.
Rebecca and the Pugs
Rebecca and the Pugs

Number of posts : 2936

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 4/25/2011, 8:21 pm

Saira wrote:I'm sorry Brenda. We've been close to the brink lately, and like you, we just can't adopt out the seniors and special needs...which leaves very little room for incomings. Things are getting worse and worse out there. I hope you guys get the help you need!
And sadly, what people define as special needs seems to be any pug that requires any attention at all--at least up here.

Can't feed the dog dry kibble? Then no apps. Needs to have some monitoring around marking? Then no apps.

I've had three applications for Luke. All of them inappropriate and two of the three don't even meet the posted adopter requirements. Unfenced yard, BIG dogs (not with Luke), and expecting a baby in August. And he is by no means a difficult dog. Just can't be living with big dogs right now and maybe never and isn't a dog that can cope with the dog park right now (maybe never). but he's young, healthy and has a great temperament.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  TxAllieGrl 4/25/2011, 9:14 pm

Brenda - I know it was a tough decision. I reposted it in case some of my friends can help out. I'll make a donation come pay day - may not much, but I'm sure every bit will help.

TxAllieGrl

Number of posts : 5801

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee 4/25/2011, 9:17 pm

I am sorry to hear this. I shared the news on my page as well.

I hate, hate, hate how dogs are so easily trashed!!!!

I wish I could help!
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  GingerSnap 4/25/2011, 9:49 pm

Oh I'm so sorry to hear that! Crying or Very sad (And no, not just because it will put more stress on MAPR!) I really like the letter that was sent out, though. I think it did a straightforward but tactful job of letting people know how they can truly help. I hope that things turn around soon-- I've always been in awe of how huge of a region SEPRA serves. Y'all do a great job!
GingerSnap
GingerSnap

Number of posts : 3547

Back to top Go down

Post  Mel 4/25/2011, 10:11 pm

I'm so sorry to hear this. What a difficult decision. Hug
Mel
Mel

Number of posts : 3270

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch 4/26/2011, 12:16 am

I'm so sorry. sigh
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  PugLady3 4/26/2011, 10:01 am

I'm really sorry to hear this Brenda. We're a tiny group compared to SEPRA but we've got several sick/old/special needs dogs in foster care right now (that aren't moving anytime soon), no applications coming in, & a wait list for incoming pugs as well. I wish that I could send something to help out but like Rebecca, I've had to start covering the bills for my hospice & foster dogs until we can get our feet back under us. I'll be praying for all of us to win the lottery or something soon! Hug
PugLady3
PugLady3

Number of posts : 2562

http://www.northernillinoispugrescue.org

Back to top Go down

Post  H the P 4/26/2011, 11:30 am

I am so sorry to read this. I saw it on FB too. A desperately tough decision, but the right one, given the circumstances.
I'm sure I speak for everyone here when I say that our hearts break for the pugs you are presently unable to help, as well as for you dedicated and distressed rescue workers who are hating being unable to help. I truly hope that things will improve for SEPRA before too long.

H the P

Number of posts : 1241

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down