Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Snifter's hot spot (warning, horrid pic)

+11
Pugsaunt
PugLady3
Tyson&LuLu'sMom
Maryjo
MommaJones
northernwitch
destanie101
Aussie Witch
TxAllieGrl
Saira
Snifter&Toddy
15 posters

Go down

Snifter's hot spot (warning, horrid pic) Empty Snifter's hot spot (warning, horrid pic)

Post  Snifter&Toddy 11/9/2009, 1:53 pm

So, Snifter was scratching quite a bit on Friday. I couldn't see
anything wrong and wondered if the builders dust might be irritating
him so I gave both pugs a bath. I did not use any shampoo on Snifter
just in case something was going on.

Saturday afternoon he was scratching again and I could see the area was
weeping a bit. I made him sleep in a T shirt to cut down the
scratching. On Sunday the area looked fairly horrid so I applied some
antiseptic cream and today we went to the vet.

He has pyoderma (which I think is basically a hot spot) so the vet
shaved the area and gave him an anti itching and antibiotic jab. We
have antibiotic gel to apply twice a day. As Snifter is so difficult
about tablets the vet said we'd not do oral antibiotics for now and see
how he goes with the gel.

Anyway, here is a picture of the poor guy's owie:

Snifter's hot spot (warning, horrid pic) 16759_198771391994_672161994_4089800_5120290_n
Snifter&Toddy
Snifter&Toddy

Number of posts : 2071

Back to top Go down

Snifter's hot spot (warning, horrid pic) Empty Re: Snifter's hot spot (warning, horrid pic)

Post  Saira 11/9/2009, 1:55 pm

Ouch, poor Snifter. I see Toddy is being a helpful little brother too...
Saira
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Snifter's hot spot (warning, horrid pic) Empty Re: Snifter's hot spot (warning, horrid pic)

Post  TxAllieGrl 11/9/2009, 2:08 pm

OUCH is right!!!

I also used a topical antibiotic for Angel's hotspots. They cleared up pretty quickly.

TxAllieGrl

Number of posts : 5801

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch 11/9/2009, 2:10 pm

Major owie!! Hope it heals quickly and Toddy doesn't need to lick it. Snifter's hot spot (warning, horrid pic) 335895
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  destanie101 11/9/2009, 2:18 pm

franklin hasn't had one in YEARS, guess it was a puppy thing with him, but my vet gave me mineral oil? oily oily mess, but seemed to work. that and I had to bathe him in oatmeal. Which Franklin more or less ate.
destanie101
destanie101

Number of posts : 303

https://www.facebook.com

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 11/9/2009, 2:23 pm

Aw. Poor Snifter. I hope it clears quickly, Bella. Hot spots are the devil. And look at helpful little Toddy.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  MommaJones 11/9/2009, 2:23 pm

Poor Snifter. I hope it heals quickly.
MommaJones
MommaJones

Number of posts : 3761

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryjo 11/9/2009, 2:32 pm

Poor Snifter! Sometimes all it takes is one flea passing by to cause a hot spot. Especially if the dog is allergic to them.

Hot spots can be caused by other things, of course, but I've heard a flea is the main reason.

Send Snifter to Alaska... (grin) No fleas up here! Of course, we got 3 inches of snow overnight (finally!), so he'd have to put up with that. *LOL*
Maryjo
Maryjo

Number of posts : 4954

http://www.maryjoalaska.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Snifter&Toddy 11/9/2009, 2:52 pm

Maryjo wrote:Poor Snifter! Sometimes all it takes is one flea passing by to cause a hot spot. Especially if the dog is allergic to them.

Hot spots can be caused by other things, of course, but I've heard a flea is the main reason.

Send Snifter to Alaska... (grin) No fleas up here! Of course, we got 3 inches of snow overnight (finally!), so he'd have to put up with that. *LOL*

Maybe that is it. They certainly don't have fleas as such. I have stopped using the Frontline just so as not to stuff them with loads of chemicals but I check them rigorously for infestations because if that should happen they are going back on it. And they have always been clear. But you would not see just the odd one or two, I guess.

I am assuming that Frontline would not guard against allergies triggered by fleas, because it doesn't stop the fleas biting, just kills them off to prevent an infestation.
Snifter&Toddy
Snifter&Toddy

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryjo 11/9/2009, 2:57 pm

Bella wrote:I am assuming that Frontline would not guard against allergies triggered by fleas, because it doesn't stop the fleas biting, just kills them off to prevent an infestation.

Nope, I don't htink it stops them from biting. So if he is allergic, just one flea bite can cause a hot spot. Give the poor dear a (gentle) hug from me!
Maryjo
Maryjo

Number of posts : 4954

http://www.maryjoalaska.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Tyson&LuLu'sMom 11/9/2009, 2:58 pm

Poor Snifter, that does look sore. I hope it clears up quick! Snifter's hot spot (warning, horrid pic) 335895
Tyson&LuLu'sMom
Tyson&LuLu'sMom

Number of posts : 3776

Back to top Go down

Post  PugLady3 11/9/2009, 3:53 pm

Poor Snifter! I hope that he's all healed up soon! Snifter's hot spot (warning, horrid pic) 335895
PugLady3
PugLady3

Number of posts : 2562

http://www.northernillinoispugrescue.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 11/9/2009, 4:31 pm

Poor little sweetie! I do love me some Snifter, he's always been one of my crush pugs. Penny doesn't get hot spots, so no advice, just a gentle hug from across the pond. hug dog
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda 11/9/2009, 5:03 pm

Ouch! Poor Snifter! Hope it heals up quickly and the meds give him relief. I see Toddy is busy nursing. Snifter's hot spot (warning, horrid pic) Icon_lol
Amanda
Amanda

Number of posts : 6990

http://www.pugauthority.com

Back to top Go down

Post  papaspugs 11/9/2009, 8:19 pm

Is the warning for Snifter's hot spot of Toddy?? Hehehe! That looks painful, poor thing!
papaspugs
papaspugs

Number of posts : 2297

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 11/9/2009, 9:14 pm

Poor thing, I hope it gets better.

My MIL cocker is a hotspot queen and so was my Mastiff and it is sometimes hard to heal.

I used to use earthbath tea tree and aloe baths on him to help it heal faster once it closed up and as his bath shampoo to keep it at bay and he stopped having them when he seemed to be covered as a puppy with them.

Back to top Go down

Post  lawpug 11/9/2009, 9:17 pm

Ouch! That looks painful!
lawpug
lawpug

Number of posts : 281

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid 11/9/2009, 10:52 pm

That looks awful! Poor Snifter!

I have a client with a Bull Terrier who got horrible hot spots. He had a lot of luck using tea tree oil on them. They used to heal in record time. (Of course, he fed her crap food, so I suspect that was the culprit.)
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Number of posts : 5095

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 11/10/2009, 7:39 am

Pozie has a had quite of few of those up on her neck...I have antibiotic cream on hand....hers are not from scratching though...they are from the Obsessed licker in the house named Coper...he literally licks her raw...If he isn't licking her, Ripley or his feet...he tilts his head back and licks the air... Snifter's hot spot (warning, horrid pic) 253213

Back to top Go down

Post  PugLady3 11/10/2009, 11:05 am

Not Afraid wrote:I have a client with a Bull Terrier who got horrible hot spots. He had a lot of luck using tea tree oil on them. They used to heal in record time. (Of course, he fed her crap food, so I suspect that was the culprit.)

Just FYI - undiluted tea tree oil applied directly to the skin can be toxic to dogs and cats. It should be diluted in water or oil before applying. I, of course, found this out after applying some to a hot spot one time. Snifter's hot spot (warning, horrid pic) Icon_redface
PugLady3
PugLady3

Number of posts : 2562

http://www.northernillinoispugrescue.org

Back to top Go down

Post  TxAllieGrl 11/10/2009, 5:46 pm

how is it looking Bella? Any improvement with the cream?

TxAllieGrl

Back to top Go down

Post  Snifter&Toddy 11/10/2009, 6:29 pm

TxAllieGrl wrote:how is it looking Bella? Any improvement with the cream?

It is drying up and scabbing now. Which I hope is a good sign. Vet said it will be a good 10 days to get back to anything approaching normal.
Snifter&Toddy
Snifter&Toddy

Back to top Go down

Post  TxAllieGrl 11/10/2009, 6:31 pm

Snifter&Toddy wrote:
TxAllieGrl wrote:how is it looking Bella? Any improvement with the cream?

It is drying up and scabbing now. Which I hope is a good sign. Vet said it will be a good 10 days to get back to anything approaching normal.

that does sound like it's good news!

TxAllieGrl

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid 11/11/2009, 2:57 am

PugLady3 wrote:
Not Afraid wrote:I have a client with a Bull Terrier who got horrible hot spots. He had a lot of luck using tea tree oil on them. They used to heal in record time. (Of course, he fed her crap food, so I suspect that was the culprit.)

Just FYI - undiluted tea tree oil applied directly to the skin can be toxic to dogs and cats. It should be diluted in water or oil before applying. I, of course, found this out after applying some to a hot spot one time. Snifter's hot spot (warning, horrid pic) Icon_redface

This is a great thing to know!!! Thank you!
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Number of posts : 5095

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 11/11/2009, 7:16 pm

aw! poor Snifter! ouchies!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down