Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CHICKEN JERKY TREAT WARNING

2 posters

Go down

CHICKEN JERKY TREAT WARNING Empty CHICKEN JERKY TREAT WARNING

Post  northernwitch 5/30/2011, 7:39 pm

This was posted on our chat forum by one of our pug owning members. Thought I'd share it with everyone as a head's up. I never feed chicken due to allergies and I don't use anything edible or that would go in anyone's mouth (human, equine, canine or feline) that is sourced from China. I suspect this isn't a problem only in Canada.......

"I received this email warning from my vets today:

Chicken Jerky Treats and Your Dog

We are asking all dog owners to avoid feeding their dog chicken jerky treats after several cases have recently been reported where dogs are developing serious side effects after consuming these treats.

The products in question appear to be manufactured in Canada, but imported from China or Thailand. Multiple brand names have been indicated.

Symptoms such as, but not limited to: decreased appetite, decreased activity, vomiting, and increased water consumption and/or increased urination have been observed. Blood and urine tests may show kidney impairment.

The Ontario Veterinary Medical Association has received multiple reports at present of otherwise healthy dogs who are developing kidney disease after the consumption of chicken jerky treats. One severe case has resulted in the dog being euthanized. The autopsy of the euthanized dog revealed a toxic substance in the dog.

To ensure your dog's health is protected, please refrain from feeding any sort of chicken jerky treat, especially those imported from China or Thailand, until more information can be found as to whether they are responsible for these potentially life threatening reactions."

northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

CHICKEN JERKY TREAT WARNING Empty Re: CHICKEN JERKY TREAT WARNING

Post  PugLady3 5/30/2011, 7:43 pm

This came up here in the U.S. a year or two ago. That's when I stopped giving them to my guys, much to their chagrin.
PugLady3
PugLady3

Number of posts : 2562

http://www.northernillinoispugrescue.org

Back to top Go down