Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

storms and the Frank monster

+3
akc0104
Snort
destanie101
7 posters

Go down

storms and the Frank monster Empty storms and the Frank monster

Post  destanie101 4/24/2010, 1:00 am

haven't checked in awhile..but needed some quick advice by those still awake this stormy evening..

We do this EVERY spring/summer, but tonight is getting especially bad...Franklin barks/howls at Thunder...and its been going on for about 4 hours (the storm and his barking) and will continue through the night and all day tomorrow/night. Its bad enough that I've had to take a happy pill tonight for my own sanity with the tornado's rolling in later and tomorrow...but I can't very well give Franklin a xanax...

I would never want to drug the pug...but to save my sanity (and apparently his tonight) is there ANYTHING i can give him to calm him down and keep him from keeping me and the neighbors up all night tonight??
destanie101
destanie101

Number of posts : 303

https://www.facebook.com

Back to top Go down

storms and the Frank monster Empty Re: storms and the Frank monster

Post  Snort 4/24/2010, 1:39 am

would some Benadryl make him a little sleepy...?
Snort
Snort

Number of posts : 69

Back to top Go down

Post  akc0104 4/24/2010, 7:18 am

I know some people swear by Rescue Remedy. I would talk to your vet about it though. Having Franklin so worked for long periods up can't be enjoyable for him either.
storms and the Frank monster 335895
akc0104
akc0104

Number of posts : 1742

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 4/24/2010, 7:29 am

akc0104 wrote:I know some people swear by Rescue Remedy. I would talk to your vet about it though. Having Franklin so worked for long periods up can't be enjoyable for him either.
storms and the Frank monster 335895
I've had so-so results with Rescue Remedy. Worked for some dogs and others it made more anxious.

While I'm not a big fan of drugging a dog, my old border collie cross had terrible storm anxiety and I DID drug her. In the end, it was worse for her to be so worked up then to be drugged. I'd talk to your vet about it.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  MommaJones 4/24/2010, 9:13 am

Ugh, that sucks. Toby is my storm-barker, but he doesn't do it continuously. He gets worked up when the thunder starts (and I swear he can hear earlier than we can), but if I can sit with him, soothe him and tell him NO when he barks...we can stop the barking. It sounds like Franklin is much worse. Did you try Benadryl? I would consider that, if Toby was that bad. Call your vet this morning and see if there is something he can suggest. I wouldn't think you would need an appt for that. Good luck! Spring storm season is NOT fun.
MommaJones
MommaJones

Number of posts : 3761

Back to top Go down

Post  TNPUGMOMOF3 4/24/2010, 10:48 am

I would get a mild sedative from the vet to keep him from getting so upset. I doubt benedryl would work well enough for that level of anxiety. Poor baby boy. Mine sleep right through it, luckily!
TNPUGMOMOF3
TNPUGMOMOF3

Number of posts : 1982

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid 4/24/2010, 12:28 pm

I've found that Benedryl doesn't have the same effect on dogs as humans with the sleepy side effect. There are other "calming potions" that you can get, but it does sound like his reactions are extreme, so I would probably go with a vet-prescribed sedative.
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Number of posts : 5095

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down