Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Basil's vomiting

+7
LisaIzzyAggy
dieselsmom
Newsie96
MommaJones
Brenda
Amanda
Puglove2
11 posters

Go down

Basil's vomiting Empty Basil's vomiting

Post  Puglove2 4/9/2009, 9:15 am

Basil has been vomiting on and off for the past week. He eats a lot of crap outside (grass, poop, etc.). I try to pick up the poop as fast as possible, but he sometimes still gets into it. Gross, I know! He's also on Atopica every other day. Lately, I've been putting the pill in a soft Greenie pill pocket. Other than that, nothing else has changed. He only vomits in the morning. It's not every morning, but the past two days, he has vomited in the morning. He is pooping and wants to eat and otherwise looks very well. No dehydration.

He does have a history of eating things that he's not supposed to and actually had to have a scope to get some coins and a screw out in the past. I'm a bit concerned that he may have done the same, but I'm also wondering if it's the Atopica or the stuff he eats outside or the Greenie pill pocket.

I thought I'd wait to bring him to the vet, since it seemed to be off and on. Now, it's Easter weekend and I'm worried. I think because he looks so good, I can wait until Sunday or Monday. I was planning to stop the Atopica for the weekend and see if that makes a difference. Any thoughts??
Puglove2
Puglove2

Number of posts : 1943

Back to top Go down

Basil's vomiting Empty Re: Basil's vomiting

Post  Amanda 4/9/2009, 9:29 am

Is the Atopica something new or has he been on it for a while? I also wonder about the Greenie pill pocket. I don't know if they are made out of the same stuff as the regular Greenies but I know there was an issue a while back with dogs not digesting Greenies. Hope you can get to the bottom of it and he feels better soon. Maybe a quick x-ray before the holiday would ease your mind?
Amanda
Amanda

Number of posts : 6990

http://www.pugauthority.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Brenda 4/9/2009, 9:30 am

Is it just yellow foam he's throwing up? Rocky did this every morning for a while and our vet suggested a Pepcid AC every night before bed and it worked. She also suggested a small treat before bedtime, too, to help his tummy settle. (this is if it's just yellow bile)
Brenda
Brenda

Number of posts : 2221

Back to top Go down

Post  Puglove2 4/9/2009, 9:34 am

Brenda wrote:Is it just yellow foam he's throwing up? Rocky did this every morning for a while and our vet suggested a Pepcid AC every night before bed and it worked. She also suggested a small treat before bedtime, too, to help his tummy settle. (this is if it's just yellow bile)

yes, it is just yellow foam. thank you for the advice. i am going to try the pepcid over the weekend and see if it will help. i'm tempted to bring him for an x-ray, but also a bit strapped for time today and he looks so well otherwise. i hope the pepcid will help.

he's been on the atopica for a while now, so i'm not really sure if he can have delayed vomiting from it. we changed it to every other day recently. the greenie treats are definitely new, so maybe i will just throw those out.
Puglove2
Puglove2

Back to top Go down

Post  MommaJones 4/9/2009, 9:47 am

My first thought was the greenie pill pocket. I've not heard good things about their products. Can you wrap the pill in a piece of cheese? I hope Basil feels better soon. Toby had a similar problem. My vet said he just had a sensitive tummy. I ended up changing food to a lamb/rice variety and have been very happy with the results. Let me know if you want more info on the food.
MommaJones
MommaJones

Number of posts : 3761

Back to top Go down

Post  Newsie96 4/9/2009, 11:12 am

Adrianna, I'd check with your vet about the Pepcid. Sometimes they change the human formula and it's not safe for dogs. I got pug Pecid from my vet once when Murphy was vomiting. Just thought I'd had that. Poor baby!
Newsie96
Newsie96

Number of posts : 996

Back to top Go down

Post  Puglove2 4/9/2009, 1:12 pm

Newsie96 wrote:Adrianna, I'd check with your vet about the Pepcid. Sometimes they change the human formula and it's not safe for dogs. I got pug Pecid from my vet once when Murphy was vomiting. Just thought I'd had that. Poor baby!

thanks, sam. i still have some doggie pepcid left over from one of our previous illnesses, so i will just try that.
Puglove2
Puglove2

Back to top Go down

Post  dieselsmom 4/9/2009, 1:15 pm

My guess is if it's just bile and it's before he's eaten, he's probably just got an upset tummy from being hungry. Diesel has a tendency to do this every now and again. I'd try to give him a snack before bed to helpfully tide him over until breakfast.
dieselsmom
dieselsmom

Number of posts : 2235

http://www.cloudk9.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  LisaIzzyAggy 4/9/2009, 1:32 pm

My vet has me giving Izzy her atopica immediately after meals to avoid stomach upset. But if he's been on it for awhile I would have thought he'd have an issue sooner.
LisaIzzyAggy
LisaIzzyAggy

Number of posts : 3001

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara 4/9/2009, 1:42 pm

I don't have advice, but I hope Basil feel better soon!
Sara
Sara

Number of posts : 4083

Back to top Go down

Post  Puglove2 4/9/2009, 2:38 pm

LisaIzzyAggy wrote:My vet has me giving Izzy her atopica immediately after meals to avoid stomach upset. But if he's been on it for awhile I would have thought he'd have an issue sooner.

me too! the only thing i can think of is the greenie pill pockets, since i've just recently started using those. well, we are about to leave for my mom's soon, so i will see how the weekend goes and if he's still vomiting, i'll take him to the vet on sunday or monday. keep your fingers crossed for us. poor basil doesn't need any more medical problems.
Puglove2
Puglove2

Back to top Go down

Post  Puglove2 4/12/2009, 8:16 pm

update!

basil did not vomit all weekend. so, i am pretty sure it's the greenie pill pocket. threw those in the trash! yuck!

i did use some pepcid AC for a couple of days. so, hopefully, it will not happen again.
Puglove2
Puglove2

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara 4/12/2009, 8:29 pm

Great update, I am so glad he's better.
Sara
Sara

Number of posts : 4083

Back to top Go down

Post  GingerSnap 4/12/2009, 8:46 pm

I'm glad that he seems to be doing better! Another thought: do you know if actually need to use anything special to get the Atopica into him? I admittedly have the easiest dogs in the world to pill, but I seriously haven't found a pill yet that I have to do more than just put it on their kibble. It took me a long time to figure that out though, after getting all kinds of vet coaching and PV suggestions. My guys are way easier than most, I know, but it might be worth a try to just go dry on kibble. Very Happy
GingerSnap
GingerSnap

Number of posts : 3547

Back to top Go down

Post  Puglove2 4/12/2009, 8:56 pm

GingerSnap wrote:I'm glad that he seems to be doing better! Another thought: do you know if actually need to use anything special to get the Atopica into him? I admittedly have the easiest dogs in the world to pill, but I seriously haven't found a pill yet that I have to do more than just put it on their kibble. It took me a long time to figure that out though, after getting all kinds of vet coaching and PV suggestions. My guys are way easier than most, I know, but it might be worth a try to just go dry on kibble. Very Happy

the only reason i used the greenie pill pocket was because he was figuring out that i was giving him a pill and kept spitting it back out. lol! it has to be on an empty (or mostly empty) stomach, so that's why i was just hoping to sneak it in with the greenie thing. back to just the pill! gotta outsmart him!
Puglove2
Puglove2

Back to top Go down

Post  GingerSnap 4/12/2009, 9:00 pm

There are plenty of other options: cheese, cream cheese, liverwurst, canned dog food. I just figured I'd mention the easiest one first! (Although my guys will eat a pill on their kibble in a heartbeat, I don't know that they'd take it straight without at least a little something smeared on it.)
GingerSnap
GingerSnap

Number of posts : 3547

Back to top Go down

Post  Puglove2 4/12/2009, 9:06 pm

GingerSnap wrote:There are plenty of other options: cheese, cream cheese, liverwurst, canned dog food. I just figured I'd mention the easiest one first! (Although my guys will eat a pill on their kibble in a heartbeat, I don't know that they'd take it straight without at least a little something smeared on it.)

he's usually not too bad with pills. for example, the pepcid, i just gave him with nothing on it. the problem i find with the atopica is that it's a big capsule. so, when i tried cream cheese, he would just lick it off and then i'd find the capsule on the floor. i think i'll just have to push it down his mouth and follow up with a treat really quick, so he just swallows. ah, the trials of owning a smart puggie... lol!
Puglove2
Puglove2

Back to top Go down

Post  Snifter&Toddy 4/13/2009, 11:25 am

GingerSnap wrote:I'm glad that he seems to be doing better! Another thought: do you know if actually need to use anything special to get the Atopica into him? I admittedly have the easiest dogs in the world to pill, but I seriously haven't found a pill yet that I have to do more than just put it on their kibble. It took me a long time to figure that out though, after getting all kinds of vet coaching and PV suggestions. My guys are way easier than most, I know, but it might be worth a try to just go dry on kibble. Very Happy

Lucky you! I have the most impossible dog to medicate (Snifter). Last time he needed tablets I cut them up, mixed them in yogurt and mixed that in with his breakfast kibble so he would be good and hungry. He still found the bits of pill and spat them out. Rolling Eyes
Snifter&Toddy
Snifter&Toddy

Number of posts : 2071

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira 4/13/2009, 11:52 am

Puglove2 wrote:
GingerSnap wrote:There are plenty of other options: cheese, cream cheese, liverwurst, canned dog food. I just figured I'd mention the easiest one first! (Although my guys will eat a pill on their kibble in a heartbeat, I don't know that they'd take it straight without at least a little something smeared on it.)

he's usually not too bad with pills. for example, the pepcid, i just gave him with nothing on it. the problem i find with the atopica is that it's a big capsule. so, when i tried cream cheese, he would just lick it off and then i'd find the capsule on the floor. i think i'll just have to push it down his mouth and follow up with a treat really quick, so he just swallows. ah, the trials of owning a smart puggie... lol!

Sophie (thankfully) thinks ANYTHING is a treat, and will scarf down even the Atopica pill (we have dropped it by accident before), but we still wrap it in cheese since it's so big. We are always thankful that Indy doesn't need pills on a regular basis, because he is a nightmare! He always seem to think we are poisoning him if we give him anything and he has to lick and delicately taste around it. We always find benedryl spit out when we try and give it to him. Rolling Eyes The only thing that works is that multiple treat trick! Good luck and I hope he is feeling better.
Saira
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down