Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question about Vomiting and Possible Dehydration

+11
Snifter&Toddy
Puggered
northernwitch
Tyson&LuLu'sMom
Aussie Witch
Cookie
Tocents
Not Afraid
Renee
papaspugs
Millie'sMichael
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Question about Vomiting and Possible Dehydration Empty Question about Vomiting and Possible Dehydration

Post  Millie'sMichael 9/26/2010, 10:24 am

Millie has had an upset stomach and has been vomiting for 24 hours. I think I know what did it -- lima beans -- but that's not the issue.

She has not eaten since breakfast yesterday. She has been sipping water all along, but she vomits the water.

Should I take her to the vet this morning? I'm worried about dehydration since she can't keep water down. Is there anything they can do? Fluids, perhaps?

Thanks.
Millie'sMichael
Millie'sMichael

Number of posts : 298

Back to top Go down

Question about Vomiting and Possible Dehydration Empty Re: Question about Vomiting and Possible Dehydration

Post  papaspugs 9/26/2010, 11:28 am

If it's been 24hrs, I would take her to the vet. With our seniors, it is easier for them to dehydrate. Also, once they get a little dehydrated, they won't want to either regardless of their stomach. Hugs to Millie.
papaspugs
papaspugs

Number of posts : 2297

Back to top Go down

Question about Vomiting and Possible Dehydration Empty Re: Question about Vomiting and Possible Dehydration

Post  Renee 9/26/2010, 2:26 pm

Poor Millie.

I agree with Jana. Get the princess to a vet. Dehydration can happen before you know it!

Have you tried some chicken or beef stock? See if she will sip that, and can hold it down? (Salt free of course!)
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid 9/26/2010, 2:55 pm

Short of going to the vet, you could try some pedyalite given via syringe. I don't know if you have an IV on hand, giving Sub Q fluids is pretty easy if you have the supplies and would hydrate her quickly.
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Number of posts : 5095

Back to top Go down

Post  Millie'sMichael 9/26/2010, 3:53 pm

Thanks for the responses. We did go to the vet. All of Millie's vital signs looked good -- no fever, no serious tenderness in her abdomen -- so they took some blood to see if anything shows up. They gave her some subcutaneous fluids and a shot that should stop the vomiting. I am to withhold all food and water until tonight, then test her with a little water. If she keeps that down, a little food in the morning. She's snoozing now, a very tired girl with an empty stomach.
Millie'sMichael
Millie'sMichael

Back to top Go down

Post  Tocents 9/26/2010, 3:56 pm

I hope she's feeling much better very soon! Please give Millie a gentle hug for me as I don't want to disturb her nap. hug dog
Tocents
Tocents

Number of posts : 512

Back to top Go down

Post  papaspugs 9/26/2010, 3:57 pm

Millie you get better soon for your daddy!
papaspugs
papaspugs

Number of posts : 2297

Back to top Go down

Post  Cookie 9/26/2010, 4:01 pm

Poor Girlie! Hugs to you both, Michael. Keep us updated.....we can't have our little Goddess ill!

Cookie

Number of posts : 39

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch 9/26/2010, 6:45 pm

Poor Millie!! Glad the vet didn't find anything serious and hope it's just "one of those things" and she'll be fine in 24 hours. hug dog
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  Tyson&LuLu'sMom 9/26/2010, 8:29 pm

Hoping Miss Millie is doing better this evening.
Tyson&LuLu'sMom
Tyson&LuLu'sMom

Number of posts : 3776

Back to top Go down

Post  Millie'sMichael 9/26/2010, 9:04 pm

Millie still turns away from food...even a bit of chicken. This is a first in the eleven years we've been together! She did sip a little water, so I'll stick with the program and try food again in the morning. Thanks for the good wishes.
Millie'sMichael
Millie'sMichael

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 9/26/2010, 9:27 pm

Well, shoot. Sorry I'm so late to this, Micheal. I hope that she decides to stop the hunger strike soonest. Give her a hug from us up here.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Puggered 9/26/2010, 9:42 pm

Puggy vibes zooming over to darling Millie hoping for quick improvement.

Sometimes I have a bit of luck stimulating appetite by offering a syrup made by melting a tablespoon of honey in a tablespoon of boiling water and offering it when it's cooled. It's soothing to the throat and stomach in case there's an issue there, as well. Honey also has mild anti-biotic properties but it's not something you would use everyday of course.

Last edited by Puggered on 9/26/2010, 9:42 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fat finger typos)
Puggered
Puggered

Number of posts : 1517

Back to top Go down

Post  Snifter&Toddy 9/27/2010, 4:17 am

Poor Millie. Hope she feels better this morning.
Snifter&Toddy
Snifter&Toddy

Number of posts : 2071

Back to top Go down

Post  Eph91 9/27/2010, 5:08 am

Hoping today is much better for Miss Millie and you.
Eph91
Eph91

Number of posts : 2839

Back to top Go down

Post  Millie'sMichael 9/27/2010, 6:48 am

Millie was thirsty and hungry this morning, so I think we're on our way back to normal. I gave her a little kibble and some boiled chicken, and let her drink a little water. Thanks for the good thoughts.
Millie'sMichael
Millie'sMichael

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch 9/27/2010, 7:02 am

I'm glad our Millie is getting better! She so special. hug dog
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 9/27/2010, 4:48 pm

Well YAY for Millie. I was kind of worried about her....
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Puglove2 9/27/2010, 4:52 pm

glad to hear that millie is doing better.
Puglove2
Puglove2

Number of posts : 1943

Back to top Go down

Post  Millie'sMichael 9/27/2010, 8:32 pm

She's back to dancing for supper and staring me down for crumbs. All is well...
Millie'sMichael
Millie'sMichael

Back to top Go down

Post  Cookie 9/27/2010, 8:41 pm

Good to hear, Michael. Thanks for the updates!

Cookie

Number of posts : 39

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 9/27/2010, 8:42 pm

I came to this late- so glad that all is now well with the ever lovely Millie - she is so special and beautiful!
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  Katie & Stella 9/27/2010, 8:58 pm

I'm just seeing this now, glad she's feeling better! Sweet little Millie.
Katie & Stella
Katie & Stella

Number of posts : 1248

Back to top Go down

Post  Millie'sMichael 9/27/2010, 9:29 pm

When I came in from work I was sure I smelled poop. I looked everywhere...no poop. But now I know the source of the smell. Holy moly...Millie has the stinkiest gas tonight that I have ever smelled! LOL Geez...she even looks embarrassed about it.
Millie'sMichael
Millie'sMichael

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee 9/27/2010, 9:58 pm

Millie'sMichael wrote:She's back to dancing for supper and staring me down for crumbs. All is well...

Good news!
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next