Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Behaviour Issue with Kimchi

4 posters

Go down

New Behaviour Issue with Kimchi Empty New Behaviour Issue with Kimchi

Post  Not Afraid 8/19/2009, 6:47 pm

Poor Kimchi bless her cute little heart, but as time goes on and she gets more comfortable (and attached) to us, her "bad habits" are starting to come out.

She has started to show her Tasmanian Devil side. I think I have figured out WHY she does what she does, but I haven't figured out WHAT to do about it. Here's the deal:

I took her with me on my dog walks today. This is my last week for my mid-day walk clients before I start training at the store. I was giving all of my doggies kisses and pets before I left each house. Every time I started to show affection for another dog, Kimchi went WILD and went into attack mode. She did it three times today - once with a Corgie who was a bit turned off but didn't flinch; once with 2 other puggies and they got into a full-blown scuffle; and once with a Visila who is a grumpy old man. During last incident, someone ended up bleeding a bit (and it may have been me!). She has had a similar reaction at other occasions, but the light bulb in my head didn't go on until today.

I need to train her out of this habit or she will never be able to be a safe dog to have in the store.

It is obvious she is insecure, has become attached to me and is protecting me as well as being jealous. Any suggestions on the best way to handle the situation beyond a spray bottle (which I will start taking with me on all walks). I feel sorry for her. This is her 5th home in 3 short years of life, but I CANNOT have that type of behavior with my jobs (old and new).
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Number of posts : 5095

Back to top Go down

New Behaviour Issue with Kimchi Empty Re: New Behaviour Issue with Kimchi

Post  Imon 8/19/2009, 7:04 pm

I've been watching a lot of Victoria Stillwell this summer, and in most behavior situations, she tries to convince the dog that "good things will happen when......"

Now, you might need someone to help you with this, but what about having someone bring another dog nearby. Switch dogs. Separate them so that Kimchi can't reach the other dog, but is still in the same room. Have the other person ask Kimchi to look at them and then they give her a treat. Repeat until she's good on the response. Then, you pet the other dog, which Kimchi focuses on the other person and gets a treat. Gradually, move Kimchi around so she sees you petting the other dog. When she doesn't respond aggressively, she gets a treat.

In theory, this should work to build up a positive association in her mind that when you pet another dog, SHE gets a treat.

I saw this work in a show where a couple had a number of pugs, two of who were always fighting. After a bit, they could sit side by side on the couch and the owner could pet them both and there was no growling, lunging, snapping, snarling or biting.

Good luck.
Imon
Imon

Number of posts : 1898

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 8/25/2009, 6:34 pm

Sounds like it is a form of resource guarding where you are the resource. We actually see a fair bit of it with pugs that have been only dogs and see it frequently with females.

It may also be a reaction to her feeling more settled and deciding that SHE is the boss now over other dogs if not you.

I always have liked the NILIF system and use it alot with my guys and my fosters. Everyone has to be invited to be in laps or on furniture and rewards go to those who can behave. Those who can't (Lola) do not get to be on the furniture.

You may need to keep her in a harness with a leash attached so you can intervene when she decides to get snarky.

http://ahimsadogtraining.com/blog/resource-guarding/

This is a good link on resource guarding. I assume you aren't seeing dog on dog aggression in other settings?
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 8/25/2009, 10:34 pm

I had some scary times with Toni's dogs until we figured out that Penny was protecting me. No blood (human or canine) was shed, but it came close. We're gonna start working on that with a wonderful trainer after we get caught up on laundry. 🇳🇴
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid 8/26/2009, 2:17 am

northernwitch wrote:Sounds like it is a form of resource guarding where you are the resource. We actually see a fair bit of it with pugs that have been only dogs and see it frequently with females.

It may also be a reaction to her feeling more settled and deciding that SHE is the boss now over other dogs if not you.

I always have liked the NILIF system and use it alot with my guys and my fosters. Everyone has to be invited to be in laps or on furniture and rewards go to those who can behave. Those who can't (Lola) do not get to be on the furniture.

You may need to keep her in a harness with a leash attached so you can intervene when she decides to get snarky.

http://ahimsadogtraining.com/blog/resource-guarding/

This is a good link on resource guarding. I assume you aren't seeing dog on dog aggression in other settings?

Thanks, Blanche. I'll take a look at the link. I am having a hard time figuring out her motivation. It is sort of hit or miss. She'll surprise me (like tonight) and be really good most of the time, then feel threatened by some dog or person for no rhyme or reason.

I DO feel sorry for her, but I am really going to have to start being really strict with her boundaries. I'm sure she will change even more as time goes on. As of today, she's been with me for 4 weeks. I think it takes about 6 months for a full personality to show.
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Number of posts : 5095

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down