Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bella broke her nail off at the quick...

+7
Not Afraid
dieselsmom
MommaJones
Saira
GingerSnap
papaspugs
Amy
11 posters

Go down

Bella broke her nail off at the quick... Empty Bella broke her nail off at the quick...

Post  Amy 8/31/2009, 9:19 pm

...and she's bleeding, and won't walk on her back leg. Ethan is coming home from work early to take her to the vet. I think she did this jumping off of our couch. Poor little girl. She really needs to stop her acrobatic stunts but she's always been a gazelle of a dog. Anyone have experience with this? Hopefully the vet will just bandage her and it will heal fast??
Amy
Amy

Number of posts : 112

Back to top Go down

Bella broke her nail off at the quick... Empty Re: Bella broke her nail off at the quick...

Post  papaspugs 8/31/2009, 9:24 pm

I had a pug that pulled the entire nail out-not broken. She was sitting in my lap and it bleed like I was having my period! But I just used some compression and a cold rag and it stopped. It grew right back. Some other people may have some experience with a broken nail and if it would be causing more pain or not. Yikes!!!
papaspugs
papaspugs

Number of posts : 2297

Back to top Go down

Bella broke her nail off at the quick... Empty Re: Bella broke her nail off at the quick...

Post  GingerSnap 8/31/2009, 9:24 pm

I'm pretty sure that one of Saira's crew did this recently.
GingerSnap
GingerSnap

Number of posts : 3547

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira 8/31/2009, 9:24 pm

Both Indy and Hooli have broken their nails. With Hooli, we just saw a ton of blood everywhere and I freaked out. Luckily when we took him to the vet, they said he had tore it clean off (ouch) and we just had to bandage it for a couple of days.

Indy's was a little worse because it was broken and cracked. And he was SCREAMING when they tried to touch it, so they dremmaled as much as they could, put him on antibiotics, and about a week later it fell off on it's own. Ouch again.

But they said it's pretty common, the only thing to watch for is to make sure it doesn't get infected!
Saira
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Amy 8/31/2009, 9:29 pm

Poor Bella. Ethan just left with her. She wouldn't let me touch her foot but she wasn't screaming. I hope she's not hurting.

I'll keep you all updated.
Amy
Amy

Back to top Go down

Post  MommaJones 8/31/2009, 9:56 pm

Ouch! Poor baby! I hope the vet manages a quick fix.
MommaJones
MommaJones

Number of posts : 3761

Back to top Go down

Post  Amy 8/31/2009, 10:24 pm

Well Bella broke her nail clean off. She's all bandaged now and a little stressed out, poor thing. But at least she doesn't need antibiotics.

Lovely dramatic afternoon!
Amy
Amy

Back to top Go down

Post  dieselsmom 8/31/2009, 11:01 pm

Diesel did that this spring. Only he didn't tear the whole thing out so the ER vet had to sedate him and pull the rest of it out. They bandaged it for a few days. But be sure that once it starts healing, she doesn't start licking it - I'd imagine it itches like the devil when it starts healing. Diesel licked and licked and we couldn't get him to leave it alone. He ended up causing an infection and then spent a week with a cone on his head so it could really heal. It's already grown back quite a bit.

I'm glad it wasn't anything more serious and hope she's feeling better soon.
dieselsmom
dieselsmom

Number of posts : 2235

http://www.cloudk9.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid 9/1/2009, 12:49 am

I'm glad they were able to get her fixed up! Poor girl! Sometimes I think that they are more scared of the pain than really in pain - but it is so difficult to tell.
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Number of posts : 5095

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara 9/1/2009, 12:53 am

I hope she feels better.

So for those that have been through this, the nail grows back? I am just logging this away in my mind for future reference.
Sara
Sara

Number of posts : 4083

Back to top Go down

Post  smoochieface 9/1/2009, 2:06 am

Chester did that a while ago, also jumping off a chair. The nail came clean off. He bled so much, I was nervous about him losing too much blood before we could get him to the vet. They bandaged it up tight for a few days, maybe a week, and put him on antibiotics. He was none the worse for wear. The nail did grow back.

Speedy healing thoughts for Bella.
smoochieface
smoochieface

Number of posts : 5123

Back to top Go down

Post  dieselsmom 9/1/2009, 7:12 am

Yep, Sara, it does grow back. And it grows back rather quickly, too.
dieselsmom
dieselsmom

Number of posts : 2235

http://www.cloudk9.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  TNPUGMOMOF3 9/1/2009, 12:24 pm

Bella did it too, her's broke but way back in the nail bed and the vet had to sedate her to get it out. She was shaking, it was very painfull for her. It heal pretty quickly and has grown back in. My foster Willie just did it too, but he would not leave it alone and is on his 3 course of antibiotics. I think he is good this time! He is a little neurotic, but we love him!
TNPUGMOMOF3
TNPUGMOMOF3

Number of posts : 1982

Back to top Go down

Post  smoochieface 9/1/2009, 2:17 pm

Not Afraid wrote:I'm glad they were able to get her fixed up! Poor girl! Sometimes I think that they are more scared of the pain than really in pain - but it is so difficult to tell.

From what the vet told us, an injury like that hurts and hurts like hell! But you're right, our dogs can be so stoic that you can't tell. Chester almost never yells in pain. He's very stoic. We usually have to check for trembling and a taut belly.
smoochieface
smoochieface

Number of posts : 5123

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira 9/1/2009, 2:21 pm

smoochieface wrote:
Not Afraid wrote:I'm glad they were able to get her fixed up! Poor girl! Sometimes I think that they are more scared of the pain than really in pain - but it is so difficult to tell.

From what the vet told us, an injury like that hurts and hurts like hell! But you're right, our dogs can be so stoic that you can't tell. Chester almost never yells in pain. He's very stoic. We usually have to check for trembling and a taut belly.

My gang is not stoic at all, they never got the memo that they are not supposed to show they are hurt! Indy screamed so much that the vet said he sounded like a little girl, Hooli acts like he is dying when he gets a stomachache, and Sophie starts screaming when she sees the dremmel. I think they learned from Ken. Laughing
Saira
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Erin 9/1/2009, 2:45 pm

Knuckles has done this twice, first time there was so much blood and he took the nail clean off, the second time he ripped the nail, poor little guy was in pain and so scared.
Glad to hear Bella is all taken care of and hopefully she heals quickly !
Erin
Erin

Number of posts : 697

Back to top Go down

Post  Amy 9/2/2009, 12:15 am

Aww I think she's still not feeling herself. She looks upset and she doesn't walk on that leg still... I hope it heals soon!
Amy
Amy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara 9/2/2009, 12:33 am

Poor girl, I hope tomorrow is better. Is she getting Metacam or anything for the pain?
Sara
Sara

Number of posts : 4083

Back to top Go down

Post  TNPUGMOMOF3 9/2/2009, 3:24 pm

Bella was stoic until the vet tried to touch it and then she screamed like a banchee!!! She HATES her feet touched anyway. This was her nightmare come true!!!! Her's was wrapped and she would NOT walk on it. It was a front leg and the vet didn't want her to not use it so we unwrapped it and she had hydrotherapy twice a day and she hated that too, but she left it alone and it healed pretty quickly!
TNPUGMOMOF3
TNPUGMOMOF3

Number of posts : 1982

Back to top Go down

Post  Amy 9/3/2009, 2:34 am

I think I'll have to call the vet tomorrow for some pain meds tomorrow... she hasn't walked on her paw at all today. We just took off the bandage tonight. Maybe a good night's rest will do her good.
Amy
Amy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down