Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Penny's allergies

+2
pugpillow
Pugsaunt
6 posters

Go down

Penny's allergies Empty Penny's allergies

Post  Pugsaunt 8/31/2009, 10:06 pm

I don't know if I mentioned that Ms. Thang got into some wheat-based dog food a couple-three times while we were traveling. And she is allergic to wheat - gets awful infections and yeast and crud in her ears, and itches like mad. This time, it was a delayed reaction. Kept me up all night last night itching, scratching, and being restless. So we went to the dogtor today, and got a bunch of stuff. The orders are to bathe her 2-3 times a week for 2 weeks, then 2-3 times a month for maintenance (leaving the lather on her skin for ten minutes - wish me luck), and use Douxo spray on the days I don't bathe her. Since she is so prone to awful ear infections, we're also doing Baytril eardrops (oh goodie). Anyone have any experience with Douxo?
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Penny's allergies Empty Re: Penny's allergies

Post  pugpillow 8/31/2009, 10:36 pm

Sorry, have never used it, but wanted to chime in and suggest you get some Milk Thistle or Ultimate Liver Cleanse (contains milk thistle) to detox her. Also, put a T-shirt on her while she's itchy so she doesn't break the skin and get an infection. And give her a gentle hug from our gang.
pugpillow
pugpillow

Number of posts : 944

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 8/31/2009, 10:54 pm

Thanks, Hilary - I've got some Milk Thistle around here somewhere, and I'll put a t-shirt on her before we go to bed tonight. I have got to get some sleep, and so does she. Oh, wait, she's snoring on my feet.
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch 9/1/2009, 12:52 am

Good thoughts for a quick recovery Nancy!
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid 9/1/2009, 1:03 am

Awww, poor Penny! I hope she feels better soon!
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Number of posts : 5095

Back to top Go down

Post  TNPUGMOMOF3 9/1/2009, 1:09 pm

Did any of you read the thread on PV about a Melaleuca product called ProVex that someone said they had been told was great for pug allergies.

Here is the original post:

My pug has suuuper bad allergies and is itching like crazy. I have tried many OTC allergy pills, but nothing works. I have come to the conclusion that she has developed an allergy to her food, and am now switching to all all vegetarian food. I was also told that ProVex by Melaleuca works wonders for dogs with allergies. Does anyone have experience with this, or know anything about it. I want to give it a try, but want to make sure it's safe first. Thanks!

This is a human supplement and from what I can tell an antioxidant. The Plus version says it has "grape seed (bad for dogs?), citrus, and ginkgo biloba flavonoids in a formula that supports healthy blood vessels, skin elasticity and more". There is also a ProVexCV for cardiovascular health. I don't know enough about supplements to know if it would be ok?
TNPUGMOMOF3
TNPUGMOMOF3

Number of posts : 1982

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 9/1/2009, 9:43 pm

Penny just had her first baf in Douxo Calm Shampoo (or, if you speak French, Douxo Calm Shampooing). It's got hinokitiol (which is an essential oil that is antibacterial, bacteriocidal, antiseptic, and great for the skin) and phytosphingosine (which is some sort of plant-derived amino acid and that's about all I was able to find out about it). We managed to leave the lather on for 10 minutes - she got a 10 minute massage. There was enough hair on the drain hair strainer to knit another pug, and she thanked me by shaking a whole lot of water on me, then did a hilarious pugtona through the house - next time I'll have the camera on the ready. The good news is that she hasn't scratched once since she came out of the tub. Fingers and toes and paws crossed that we both get some sleep tonight. The spray helped, but then it wore off. Sigh.
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Back to top Go down

Post  TNPUGMOMOF3 9/2/2009, 3:26 pm

Where did you get the shampoo?
TNPUGMOMOF3
TNPUGMOMOF3

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 9/2/2009, 5:07 pm

From the dogtor. It's on sale on HealthyPets.com: http://www.healthypets.com/docash6floz.html
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Back to top Go down

Post  TNPUGMOMOF3 9/3/2009, 10:48 am

I will have to get it and try it for my black diva Bella, she is my itchy pug!
TNPUGMOMOF3
TNPUGMOMOF3

Back to top Go down

Post  leslyeb 9/3/2009, 3:11 pm

Glad the shampoo seems to be helping her. Chyna is my itchy girl so I might try to get some and see if it helps
leslyeb
leslyeb

Number of posts : 707

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down