Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Not going potty on walks?

5 posters

Go down

Not going potty on walks? Empty Not going potty on walks?

Post  Tyson&LuLu'sMom 9/15/2009, 9:12 am

No matter how long we walk for, Mac will not go pee on walks. He's only ever pooed on a walk once...
As soon as we get home he goes right in the backyard and does his business, so I know he had to go.
Could it be because he's wearing his harness and doesn't like to go with it on?
Any suggestions, tips, tricks??
Tyson&LuLu'sMom
Tyson&LuLu'sMom

Number of posts : 3776

Back to top Go down

Not going potty on walks? Empty Re: Not going potty on walks?

Post  leslyeb 9/18/2009, 9:15 pm

I can't help you with that one because all of my guys love to pee on walks. Pugsly and Taz never figured out how to mark, but they would smell other dog's pee then get a funny look on their face and just squat. Tinker and Ruffy love to mark on every mailbox, fire hydrant and electrical box they can find. Thank goodness they don't mark inside!
leslyeb
leslyeb

Number of posts : 707

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 5/3/2010, 2:39 pm

gizzy too wont pee on walks

Back to top Go down

Post  Tyson&LuLu'sMom 5/3/2010, 2:51 pm

itsmsrin wrote:gizzy too wont pee on walks

Hopefully it'll pass for you, it did for Mac-now he loves to pee on almost every tree Not going potty on walks? Icon_lol
I think once he got used to wearing his harness and his want to mark every other dog's smell kicked in, walks became the best opportunity to make sure we got a pee out of him.
Tyson&LuLu'sMom
Tyson&LuLu'sMom

Number of posts : 3776

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee 5/3/2010, 3:19 pm

Skeeter has such a need to mark, that he will continue lifting his leg even if no pee is coming out!! LOL
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  pugasaurus 5/3/2010, 4:20 pm

When I trained guide dogs they had to learn to "busy" on a variety of surfaces. And I don't know how bad you want your dog to potty in places besides home, but here's what we would do, you can adapt it for your dog.

The dog would get to eat and drink as much as they wanted a few hours before an outing so they would be full. We'd take the dog out to the surface they didn't like to go on and ask them to "busy" (the term the guide dog school liked to use) and if they didn't they'd go back home and back into their crate except to have more to eat or drink. Repeat outdoor exposure. If the dog still wouldn't go, we'd go back home again, let the dog eat/drink and repeat. Eventually the dog would be about ready to explode and they would finally "busy" on the concrete or whatever we were practicing on. Needless to say the dog was heavily praised for finally "busying" on the new surface.

Dogs (like humans) are creatures of habit. It's a big deal for them to potty in a new place. But hey, I'd rather potty at home too so I can't say I blame them.
pugasaurus
pugasaurus

Number of posts : 1117

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 5/3/2010, 7:21 pm

pugasaurus wrote:When I trained guide dogs they had to learn to "busy" on a variety of surfaces. And I don't know how bad you want your dog to potty in places besides home, but here's what we would do, you can adapt it for your dog.

The dog would get to eat and drink as much as they wanted a few hours before an outing so they would be full. We'd take the dog out to the surface they didn't like to go on and ask them to "busy" (the term the guide dog school liked to use) and if they didn't they'd go back home and back into their crate except to have more to eat or drink. Repeat outdoor exposure. If the dog still wouldn't go, we'd go back home again, let the dog eat/drink and repeat. Eventually the dog would be about ready to explode and they would finally "busy" on the concrete or whatever we were practicing on. Needless to say the dog was heavily praised for finally "busying" on the new surface.

Dogs (like humans) are creatures of habit. It's a big deal for them to potty in a new place. But hey, I'd rather potty at home too so I can't say I blame them.

I'll try this and report back! thank you

Back to top Go down

Post  juneau hunter 5/5/2010, 10:44 am

Juneau is like this too. After walking for an hour we will come home and he will head straight for the back yard. I didn't think it was that big of a deal until I got Rosco who has the belief that he needs to take over the world, one piss at a time! Juneau gives him a look that clearly says "Dude, we're out for a walk, not a pissing contest"
juneau hunter
juneau hunter

Number of posts : 2896

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down