Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BJ is marking... and other potty related issues.

3 posters

Go down

BJ is marking... and other potty related issues. Empty BJ is marking... and other potty related issues.

Post  Tonichelle 9/6/2010, 11:40 am

As far as we can tell BJ is housebroken. He doesn't have a very obvious "I need to go out" message, but he definitely doesn't potty in the house...

until the other day. He piddled by the bed after sleeping all night, we chalked it up to no one waking up to take him outside in time. But then yesterday he pooped in the hallway after coming in from outside (he was outside my aunt ran in to get the phone and he found his way into the house and down the hall before pooping. so we're making progress on his getting around fully blind, but it was masked by the fact that he messed in teh house!), and then he was caught marking in the kitchen (thankfully when he goes outside he emptys himself pretty well.

Still, with the new carpet, and my aunt planning to sell the house in the Spring, she's freaking out about it. Is there anything we can do to discourage it fully, or would doggy diapers be best?
Tonichelle
Tonichelle

Number of posts : 194

http://www.photographybyantonia.com

Back to top Go down

BJ is marking... and other potty related issues. Empty Re: BJ is marking... and other potty related issues.

Post  Puggered 9/7/2010, 1:18 am

He is probably having adjustment issues. I would go back to basics and reinforce the training, using the Sticky thread at the top of this forum on housebreaking.

Extra reinforcement for blind pugs is using scents to help them find their way, a drop of essential oil on the doorsill daily for a while will help him find his way outside.

Mostly, it's just vigilance until he settles in fully. Good luck!

Edited 'cos I forgot to say that you may need to have him vet checked for a UTI just in case, since he's suddenly started to mark inside.
Puggered
Puggered

Number of posts : 1517

Back to top Go down

BJ is marking... and other potty related issues. Empty Re: BJ is marking... and other potty related issues.

Post  Tonichelle 9/7/2010, 11:03 am

Puggered wrote:Edited 'cos I forgot to say that you may need to have him vet checked for a UTI just in case, since he's suddenly started to mark inside.

Nope, not a UTI, he's already being pumped so full of antibiotics due to an ear infection and other issues that the UTI wouldn't stand a chance, That and when he marks he's usually "out" of liquids so he's "air marking" but not always...
Tonichelle
Tonichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryjo 9/7/2010, 2:52 pm

Personally, I think he's getting used to his new situation (no eyes) and new place, so he could be marking to show it is his. Plus, he could still be getting confused (even if you don't see it, Toni) about where he is in the place. A dog going from one eye to no eyes can certainly take a long time to get settled in.

Try a bellyband for awhile, take it off when he goes outside, back on when he comes in. A tube sock with velcro makes a great bellyband.

Meanwhile, are you home any evenings this week? I'd love to come meet him (can't tonight). I'm free Wednesday night. Let me know!

BJ is marking... and other potty related issues. 335895
Maryjo
Maryjo

Number of posts : 4954

http://www.maryjoalaska.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Tonichelle 9/12/2010, 5:46 pm

Maryjo wrote:Personally, I think he's getting used to his new situation (no eyes) and new place, so he could be marking to show it is his. Plus, he could still be getting confused (even if you don't see it, Toni) about where he is in the place. A dog going from one eye to no eyes can certainly take a long time to get settled in.

Try a bellyband for awhile, take it off when he goes outside, back on when he comes in. A tube sock with velcro makes a great bellyband.

Meanwhile, are you home any evenings this week? I'd love to come meet him (can't tonight). I'm free Wednesday night. Let me know!

BJ is marking... and other potty related issues. 335895

he probably is still getting used to surroundings, but he's marking in areas he's very familiar with, so I do think it's more of a "I am here this is my house" sort of thing. It could also be a way for him to find his way around as he's definitely done that outside. he goes from pee spot to pee spot to find his way back inside.

it's amazing, if he knows we're out with him he's 'helpless' the couple of times we've "left" him outside he's made his way all the way into the house and up the three steps all on his own. go figure! I think he has us well trained already. rofl

and sorry I didn't see this sooner. I've been busy. I will be home every evening all week up to friday... at least at this point. will let you know if there are any changes.
Tonichelle
Tonichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down