Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Potty Pads: Training an adult pug to use them

+4
Not Afraid
Renee
papaspugs
Sara
8 posters

Go down

Potty Pads: Training an adult pug to use them Empty Potty Pads: Training an adult pug to use them

Post  Sara 3/1/2011, 1:34 pm

Has anyone had any luck training an adult pug to use potty pads?

Can you give me any ideas, or tips on how to do this?

As much as we travel it would be nice to have CP be able to use them in a pinch. Also she hurt her back, again :( and she needs to rest, I don't want her running around in the back yard. I'd like her to have the option of a potty pad. She loves peeing on my bath rug so I laid one on top of that, guess what she did, she SAT on it.

I then moved the bathmat downstairs and put a couple over it, well she went on the rug instead.

She does not make the connection to potty on them, AT ALL. Luckily she is feeling better and letting me carry her outside to potty and back in now, but I still want to work on training her to use them if I can.

Help!
Sara
Sara

Number of posts : 4083

Back to top Go down

Potty Pads: Training an adult pug to use them Empty Re: Potty Pads: Training an adult pug to use them

Post  papaspugs 3/1/2011, 1:41 pm

First, hugs to CP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Second, I don't know that I've actually trained mine to use potty pads, but more that they have so many accidents that they just do. I am have the reusble (washable) ones that are large that I keep in their x-pens and keep down in their favorite marking spots. Are you using the disposable ones? I would say to just keep them down and when she does use them to praise her. Hopefully someone else will have better suggestions than me.
papaspugs
papaspugs

Number of posts : 2297

Back to top Go down

Potty Pads: Training an adult pug to use them Empty Re: Potty Pads: Training an adult pug to use them

Post  Sara 3/1/2011, 1:46 pm

Yes I use the disposable ones. I already had some on hand as I use them when I do newborn photography stuff, ha ha!

They say they are scented to make them want to use them, she prefers SITTING on them, LOL

Yeah, I was just sick about her hurting yesterday, but she seems to be improving today and is being really good about letting me carry her around and no jumping.
Sara
Sara

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee 3/1/2011, 2:38 pm

I know some people look down on potty pad training, but actually, I would love to train mine to use them. It is cold and windy here, often rainy or crappy weather. I would much prefer to provide a potty pad and have my pugs use them, rather than trying to sneakily pee somewhere in the house that I won't find!

I think Jana is right, put the pads in the most common pee places. I need some of those reusable ones!
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid 3/1/2011, 6:33 pm

Thurston would be more than happy to come over and show how its done. Sadly, he would use the bath mat, dog bed or carpeting too. Brat. Also look into the portable grass pads. Pet-a-potty is the original, but there are lots of others on the market now.
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Number of posts : 5095

Back to top Go down

Post  TNPUGMOMOF3 3/1/2011, 6:36 pm

I would rub a little pee on a clean one and leave that down for her to use. I personally would use Bella's pee at my house cause everyone HAS to always pee where she has peed.
TNPUGMOMOF3
TNPUGMOMOF3

Number of posts : 1982

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara 3/1/2011, 6:55 pm

I need Thurston to come over for a play date! Hee hee.

I need to stick with disposables as we travel a lot and I don't plan on carrying around soiled cloth potty pads or sod grass for her. Yes she is the princess, but she can use paper products for peeing like the rest of us.

Thank goodness she is getting the hang of peeing outside with her hurt little back :( Next time she goes I'll blot up some of her pee with the pad and see if she wants to go on it the next time.

Thanks!

And as far as it being a bad habit, she isn't housebroken anyway. We have her schedule trained and if something throws off her schedule, she pees where she wants. I wish it was not true, but it is. She usually goes outside and she's worth cleaning up occasional mess. My bathmat is her favorite target anyway and it's easy enough to throw in the washer.
Sara
Sara

Back to top Go down

Post  Puggered 3/1/2011, 7:27 pm

Yes, scent one with her pee. And can you leave a couple outside to collect "outside" smells for a couple of hours?

She probably thinks you are covering the bathmat so that she won't pee on it!!! Or that you are buying her nice disposable tooshie mats for sitting on!!! Laughing
Puggered
Puggered

Number of posts : 1517

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara 3/1/2011, 7:33 pm

Puggered wrote:Yes, scent one with her pee. And can you leave a couple outside to collect "outside" smells for a couple of hours?

She probably thinks you are covering the bathmat so that she won't pee on it!!! Or that you are buying her nice disposable tooshie mats for sitting on!!! Laughing

Yes she really is smarter than me you know! Razz
Sara
Sara

Back to top Go down

Post  agilepug 3/3/2011, 10:03 am

Have you tried putting a few of the pads outside? Mine will mark (girls too) just about anything that's outside. When she goes on them outside praise her like you would a puppy who's just learning, then try putting them inside.
agilepug
agilepug

Number of posts : 148

http://www.westoverpugpack.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  thminis 3/4/2011, 1:49 am

I was going to recommend the exact same thing as Jesse. I say put it outside and try to get her to pee on it. Maybe section off a small part of the yard (like with an x pen?) and lay down multiple potty pads?
thminis
thminis

Number of posts : 1139

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down