Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Foster needs potty training

+4
northernwitch
DeeAnn
Aussie Witch
Mel
8 posters

Go down

Foster needs potty training Empty Foster needs potty training

Post  Mel 10/11/2010, 5:50 pm

so I love my new foster, Princess. she's such a sweet girl! the only issue is she's not potty trained...at all! I've had her since Fri night and she's only gone outside once. Crying or Very sad I take her out and we're out there for a good 20 min and nothing. I know to praise her big time when she does go, but what if she doesn't?

I read the potty thread and it seems my only solution is just to stay out with her as long as it takes. any other suggestions? I feel badly for Zoe since I usually have to leave her inside when I take Princess out.

I really want to get her started on her training before she finds that forever home.

Thanks!
Mel
Mel

Number of posts : 3270

Back to top Go down

Foster needs potty training Empty Re: Foster needs potty training

Post  Mel 10/11/2010, 5:51 pm

p.s. I don't have a yard. I'm taking her out on leash in my community and the little sucker is a fast walker!
Mel
Mel

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch 10/11/2010, 5:58 pm

Try the "attached leash" method when she's inside? Good luck!
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  DeeAnn 10/11/2010, 6:00 pm

Aussie Witch wrote:Try the "attached leash" method when she's inside? Good luck!

good idea Rona...How old is your foster?
DeeAnn
DeeAnn

Number of posts : 991

Back to top Go down

Post  Mel 10/11/2010, 6:20 pm

what do you mean? I have to have her on a leash at all times?

we think she's around 18 months. I think she's younger!
Mel
Mel

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 10/11/2010, 7:10 pm

Mel wrote:what do you mean? I have to have her on a leash at all times?
Yep--that's exactly what it means. It's called umbilical training and it means you can stop the accident before it happens and she can begin to make the connection between going outside and inside.

I can't remember her background, but most of my fosters have had house training issues. Some have never been walked so have no clue you CAN excrete on one. Some have been trained not to excrete anywhere but their yard so won't go anywhere but a backyard while off leash. The variations are endless. You just have to wait her out.

It just takes time and patience, Mel. And she hasn't been with you that long. I never expect a foster to pick up house training with me in a couple of days. Admittedly, it's harder when you are in an apartment and don't have a yard.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira 10/11/2010, 7:14 pm

northernwitch wrote:
Mel wrote:what do you mean? I have to have her on a leash at all times?
Yep--that's exactly what it means. It's called umbilical training and it means you can stop the accident before it happens and she can begin to make the connection between going outside and inside.

I can't remember her background, but most of my fosters have had house training issues. Some have never been walked so have no clue you CAN excrete on one. Some have been trained not to excrete anywhere but their yard so won't go anywhere but a backyard while off leash. The variations are endless. You just have to wait her out.

It just takes time and patience, Mel. And she hasn't been with you that long. I never expect a foster to pick up house training with me in a couple of days. Admittedly, it's harder when you are in an apartment and don't have a yard.

Yup, a lot of mine, I keep them with me all the time. I had to do that with Dallas, as she was the same way, she really had no training whatsoever. She had no concept that outside was for pottying and would jump up and pee on my couch! It's the best way to make sure they don't sneak off and pee. Mainly, it's just going to take time and lots of patience, especially since she is still so young.

Last edited by Saira on 10/11/2010, 7:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
Saira
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  TNPUGMOMOF3 10/11/2010, 7:14 pm

I use girly panties for females if they need it and just take them out often, but I also have a yard. I think taking her with Zoe would help cause my girls even pee pver each other's pee, so the scent might encourage her! It should work pretty qickly. I find girls lean pretty fast and they want to please. She can learn from Zoe.
TNPUGMOMOF3
TNPUGMOMOF3

Number of posts : 1982

Back to top Go down

Post  Mel 10/11/2010, 7:49 pm

yeah, she's kind of all over the place on walks. like she's never been on one! when I've tried to take Zoe with her, she's just so fast, Zoe hardly has time to do her business. lol course she does it right away (good girl - I'm spoiled) and Princess does make her walk like there's a fire somewhere. rofl I'll try to do that. take them both at once.

While I am frustrated, it's not about that. I just want to be successful. Wink
Mel
Mel

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira 10/11/2010, 7:55 pm

Mel wrote:yeah, she's kind of all over the place on walks. like she's never been on one! when I've tried to take Zoe with her, she's just so fast, Zoe hardly has time to do her business. lol course she does it right away (good girl - I'm spoiled) and Princess does make her walk like there's a fire somewhere. rofl I'll try to do that. take them both at once.

While I am frustrated, it's not about that. I just want to be successful. Wink

That's part of fostering! She has no idea what you want her to do-for all we know, she's never been walked/potty trained/etc. It just takes a lot of patience, she will get the hang of it, I promise, but it's only been 2 days! Very Happy Dallas's new home is STILL working on her potty training, and she was a lot better when she was adopted than when I got her, so it just takes more time when they are young and untrained.
Saira
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 10/11/2010, 8:20 pm

"She had no concept that outside was for pottying and would jump up and pee on my couch!"

Oh man, Pippin used to do that--except he'd jump on my couch and pee on my expensive Pier 1 pillows. Even after I was pretty sure he wouldn't do it, I kept the livingroom gated off to be safe!

Mel--I just assume any foster I have will have house training issues and I'm rarely disappointed. We've had more than one pug come in who's never been outside at all. Lived all their lives in a high rise apartment, excreting on pee pads (or so we were told). It's the exception who comes in with good house training. Maisie is one of those exceptions. Her owners may have done everything else wrong, but her house training is very good.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Back to top Go down

Post  Puggered 10/12/2010, 3:15 am

northernwitch wrote: Maisie is one of those exceptions. Her owners may have done everything else wrong, but her house training is very good.

Hmmmm...so maybe try cucumber sandwiches as a potty reward?? Laughing
Puggered
Puggered

Number of posts : 1517

Back to top Go down

Post  papaspugs 10/12/2010, 8:58 am

Mel, I have been so out of it that I didn't know you were fostering! Yea for you!

I would take both of them out together to potty. Girls just love to mark or so it seems. When Zoe pees, hopefully your foster will too. You could then take Zoe back in to rest and walk your foster to burn off some of that youngester energy.

papaspugs
papaspugs

Number of posts : 2297

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 10/12/2010, 12:08 pm

Puggered wrote:
northernwitch wrote: Maisie is one of those exceptions. Her owners may have done everything else wrong, but her house training is very good.

Hmmmm...so maybe try cucumber sandwiches as a potty reward?? Laughing
Quiet you! She gets regular old treats at my house. Mind you, I feed pretty classy treats like dehydrated quail hearts and rabbit liver.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Back to top Go down

Post  Mel 10/13/2010, 12:24 pm

papaspugs wrote:Mel, I have been so out of it that I didn't know you were fostering! Yea for you!

I would take both of them out together to potty. Girls just love to mark or so it seems. When Zoe pees, hopefully your foster will too. You could then take Zoe back in to rest and walk your foster to burn off some of that youngester energy.

did that, went for an hour walk last night. Zoe only lasted half that. She sometimes sees Zoe do her business and other times is just off in her own world distracted by all the glorious smells outside. What's odd is she sniffs what such intention you just KNOW she'll potty any second, but she doesn't. oh, and I had her on leash inside the whole time last night.

GOOD NEWS - put a potty pad in the bedroom and woke up at 5am with her pottying on the pad! cheers she even pooped on it. excited course right after breakfast, before I could even take her out, she peed right next to the pad. lol
Mel
Mel

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down