Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Swine flu in dogs?

+3
smoochieface
TxAllieGrl
Newsie96
7 posters

Go down

Swine flu in dogs? Empty Swine flu in dogs?

Post  Newsie96 10/5/2009, 3:24 pm

A member of the rescue I volunteer for posted this link:
http://vetmedicine.about.com/b/2009/07/02/new-dog-vaccine-for-h3n8-flu.htm

She said her vet suspects her pug has it. Anyone else heard of this?
Newsie96
Newsie96

Number of posts : 996

Back to top Go down

Swine flu in dogs? Empty Re: Swine flu in dogs?

Post  TxAllieGrl 10/5/2009, 3:29 pm

My vet mentioned this to me when I had Bello in for his check up/vaccinations.

He said it isn't prevalent in our area at this point, but many vets are doing special clinics, etc. to give the vaccine.He says it's overkill, and many vets are causing lots of alarm, resulting in more $$ for the vaccine, visits, etc. (meaning..revenue generation for the vet vs. care about the dog specifically).

He said the typical kennel cough should be ok, for dogs who have frequent interactions with other dogs (dog parks, play time, etc.).

Again, this is his recommendation for my area. You may want to check with your vet to see if it's spreading where you live.

TxAllieGrl

Number of posts : 5801

Back to top Go down

Post  smoochieface 10/5/2009, 3:35 pm

I think we're just going to burrow in for the winter and order all our meals by telephone. I've decided that's easier than wading through all this flu information. You never hear about the great Hermit Flu of 1986.
smoochieface
smoochieface

Number of posts : 5123

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryjo 10/5/2009, 4:21 pm

smoochieface wrote:I think we're just going to burrow in for the winter and order all our meals by telephone. I've decided that's easier than wading through all this flu information. You never hear about the great Hermit Flu of 1986.

*LMAO* I agree Kendie... Swine flu in dogs? 977583 I'llbring the gang down and join you!
Maryjo
Maryjo

Number of posts : 4954

http://www.maryjoalaska.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 10/5/2009, 4:34 pm

Penny's not at risk - my little pug thug doesn't play well with others, so she isn't around a lot of other dogs.

And Sam, don't you need to change your signature line??????? razz
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  pugpillow 10/5/2009, 11:12 pm

Oh great. Just what our pugs need - more vaccines!
pugpillow
pugpillow

Number of posts : 944

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugs4me 10/6/2009, 11:53 am

While it's not the swine flu, the dog flu is prevelent in our area. It's the dog flu we first started hearing about a couple years ago. I just got the first vaccine for mine. My vet said they've seen some cases and in most the dogs end up with pnemonia which is a real issue for flat faced breeds. Lanie has a narrow trachea and when she had kennel cough it was collapsing when she coughed (my vet was patient and snapped an x-ray while she was coughing.) Basically at this point, with Lanie's issue, I got all mine the vaccine. They do go to the groomer and will be boarding in a few weeks. My vet said the scary part is the a dog will be contagious for several days before it actually shows symptoms so people aren't aware and don't keep them away from other dogs.

I think it depends on your area and whether or not there are a lot of cases. When I first asked my vet about it he said there was no need for the vaccine in our area because they hadn't seen any cases. It took over a year, but when they did start seeing cases, they started offering the vaccine.
Pugs4me
Pugs4me

Number of posts : 405

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down