Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Flea prevention, let's chat.

+20
GracieNEmma
MackandMattiesMom
Tyson&LuLu'sMom
Mel
TNPUGMOMOF3
Pugs4me
ForeverHopper
northernwitch
Newsie96
LisaIzzyAggy
MommaJones
Not Afraid
smoochieface
BDazzpugs
Amanda
Katie & Stella
dieselsmom
GingerSnap
papaspugs
Sara
24 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Flea prevention, let's chat. Empty Flea prevention, let's chat.

Post  Sara 4/27/2009, 8:42 pm

So a lady my mom works with got a pug and she emailed me today to ask me some questions. One thing she asked was about flea prevention, her "breeder" said to put lemon in the water, have you EVER heard of that? What about baking soda in the water? Both sound odd to me.

We use Sentinal here for both flea and heartworm prevention.

What do you use and have you heard of the above methods?
Sara
Sara

Number of posts : 4083

Back to top Go down

Flea prevention, let's chat. Empty Re: Flea prevention, let's chat.

Post  papaspugs 4/27/2009, 9:24 pm

I use Sentinel year round. But in the south, I have to add in Frontline for the summer months. I am going to start Frontline on myself May 1st because I found a tick on my head Friday morning! I wish there was something all natural that would really work for the pugs, but with ticks and mosquitos all over the south, I have to go with the chemicals. I may have to leave the Frontline off Lola though because Baby Girl likes her back and all over her neck all the time.
papaspugs
papaspugs

Number of posts : 2297

Back to top Go down

Post  GingerSnap 4/27/2009, 9:48 pm

I'm a Frontline Plus girl, from about March until November or so.
GingerSnap
GingerSnap

Number of posts : 3547

Back to top Go down

Post  dieselsmom 4/27/2009, 10:01 pm

We use Frontline Plus here too. Though I did order Kathy Santos Defeat da Fleas to try this year and see how it works. http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/product_detail.aspx?item_guid=3664E91F-44B2-4662-9C24-8BA5CF4B6128&click=2083&mf=2 I figured we'd give it a try and see if it might be an effective alternative to Frontline. Though, I'm afraid we have more of an issue with ticks than fleas, so I may still end up having to use Frontline after all. We'll see.
dieselsmom
dieselsmom

Number of posts : 2235

http://www.cloudk9.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Katie & Stella 4/27/2009, 10:29 pm

Stella gets Revolution year-round. I was only giving it to her in the warmer weather but she somehow ended up with fleas in February. I wonder if you have to worry about lemon and the enamel in their teeth like you do for people?
Katie & Stella
Katie & Stella

Number of posts : 1248

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda 4/27/2009, 10:34 pm

I use brewer's yeast and we've never had a flea or tick problem. I've never been crazy about the flea/ticket products. I used them for a few years on Hoover but never on the girls. When Michael had that awful experience with Sugar Ray it just sealed the deal for me.
Amanda
Amanda

Number of posts : 6990

http://www.pugauthority.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dieselsmom 4/27/2009, 10:44 pm

Amanda wrote:I use brewer's yeast and we've never had a flea or tick problem. I've never been crazy about the flea/ticket products. I used them for a few years on Hoover but never on the girls. When Michael had that awful experience with Sugar Ray it just sealed the deal for me.

Amanda, do you just sprinkle it on their food? I've heard a lot of people using it, but never knew if it really worked. I also heard people use it in conjunction with garlic? Do you use garlic also or just the brewers yeast?
dieselsmom
dieselsmom

Number of posts : 2235

http://www.cloudk9.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  BDazzpugs 4/27/2009, 10:49 pm

To each their own I suppose. I use advantix right now, although was using frontline or many years. My vet warned me about 2 months ago that ticks here were going to be bad so I changed. For heartwork I use Ivromectin, most normal people would use heartguard (but we all know I am not normal).
BDazzpugs
BDazzpugs

Number of posts : 1286

Back to top Go down

Post  smoochieface 4/27/2009, 11:29 pm

we use frontline plus

tell me about the brewers yeast. i have a huge canister of the stuff for logan. will it keep fleas off him, too?
smoochieface
smoochieface

Number of posts : 5123

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid 4/27/2009, 11:51 pm

Revolution for both cats and dogs. It protects from ticks and prevents heartworm as well.
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Number of posts : 5095

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara 4/28/2009, 12:17 am

BDazzpugs wrote:To each their own I suppose. I use advantix right now, although was using frontline or many years. My vet warned me about 2 months ago that ticks here were going to be bad so I changed. For heartwork I use Ivromectin, most normal people would use heartguard (but we all know I am not normal).

I know your cat hides from the dogs, but did you know Advantix for dogs causes neurological disorders in cats? Maybe THAT is what is wrong with your cat!

Anyway, I am not loving the chemicals on the skin, but I am very happy with the Sentinal. Heart worm is very rare here, but I would still rather be on the prevention side.

I have my thoughts about this "breeder" I have NEVER heard of the drinking lemon water, but I did google and they talk about putting lemon juice ON the dog for fleas, but even that seems like a bad idea.
Sara
Sara

Number of posts : 4083

Back to top Go down

Post  MommaJones 4/28/2009, 7:29 am

We use Heartguard for heartworm and Frontline Plus for fleas/ticks when we go to the lake. Last year, it made My Boys very itchy. I'd really like to hear about the brewer's yeast, too.
MommaJones
MommaJones

Number of posts : 3761

Back to top Go down

Post  LisaIzzyAggy 4/28/2009, 7:41 am

Never heard of the lemon thing. My girls get Revolution, year round. That's the first thing the vet had me do when Izzy started with allergy problems.
LisaIzzyAggy
LisaIzzyAggy

Number of posts : 3001

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 4/28/2009, 9:30 am

Frontline Plus here, I am leary of changing since both of mine have done well on it.
I've never heard of lemon and water but I have not done to much research on alternative methods.

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda 4/28/2009, 11:35 am

I use heartworm preventative, just nothing "chemical" for fleas/ticks.

Kendie, I use the tablets but I'm sure the powder would also work fine. I personally don't use garlic but you can buy brewer's yeast that has garlic in it.

As for the lemon, I've heard of a lemon skin tonic (Dr. Pitcairn I think) but never about putting it in their water.
Amanda
Amanda

Number of posts : 6990

http://www.pugauthority.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Newsie96 4/28/2009, 12:38 pm

When I had my very short "show career", one of the breeders told me she used lemon dishwashing soap to treat flea problems. Not sure about any lemon water.
Newsie96
Newsie96

Number of posts : 996

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 4/28/2009, 6:18 pm

I use Revolution since it does fleas, ticks, many internal parasites, HW and sarcoptic mange. Don't use it year round, however. If I didn't have foster dogs coming in so often and many from the shelter system, I might be less chemical in my approach--but I need to avoid the numerous bugs that shelter dogs especially bring in. Some of you may remember my sarcoptic mange outbreak when I became addicted to orange Pine Sol........

Lemon is an old remedy for many "bugs". It's why citronella candles work for mosquitos, etc. Many anti-mosquito products use citrus oil. I've not heard of it for fleas, but don't see why is couldn't/shouldn't work. Can't use the brewer's yeast here due to allergies. Tank has enough trouble with yeast without me adding it to his food.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid 4/28/2009, 8:17 pm

northernwitch wrote:I use Revolution since it does fleas, ticks, many internal parasites, HW and sarcoptic mange. Don't use it year round, however. If I didn't have foster dogs coming in so often and many from the shelter system, I might be less chemical in my approach--but I need to avoid the numerous bugs that shelter dogs especially bring in.

Similar to my reasons for using Revolution. Thurston is around so my other dogs nd we go hiking quite a bit, so I always want to protect him as much s possible. I'd prefer him not use any chemicals at all, but that idea doesn't seem prudent for my situation.
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Number of posts : 5095

Back to top Go down

Post  BDazzpugs 4/28/2009, 8:41 pm

The cat along with Bean are "Chemical Free", neither of them get any treatments. The cat never leaves her room and well Bean being seizure free is far more important that using treatments. Although having a concrete back yard helps keep critters away. The only thing we have a problem with is sand fleas, I wonder if the Advantix would work on Adrian?

Sara wrote:
BDazzpugs wrote:To each their own I suppose. I use advantix right now, although was using frontline or many years. My vet warned me about 2 months ago that ticks here were going to be bad so I changed. For heartwork I use Ivromectin, most normal people would use heartguard (but we all know I am not normal).

I know your cat hides from the dogs, but did you know Advantix for dogs causes neurological disorders in cats? Maybe THAT is what is wrong with your cat!

Anyway, I am not loving the chemicals on the skin, but I am very happy with the Sentinal. Heart worm is very rare here, but I would still rather be on the prevention side.

I have my thoughts about this "breeder" I have NEVER heard of the drinking lemon water, but I did google and they talk about putting lemon juice ON the dog for fleas, but even that seems like a bad idea.
BDazzpugs
BDazzpugs

Number of posts : 1286

Back to top Go down

Post  ForeverHopper 4/28/2009, 10:18 pm

Mine gets Heartgard monthly and Frontline Plus every 3 months or so unless I see the need to do it more often. My babies are quite homebodies and don't go out much so exposure is limited. Now if I bring in a foster, they all will get theirs for precaution.
ForeverHopper
ForeverHopper

Number of posts : 301

http://www.centralfloridapugrescue.org

Back to top Go down

Post  smoochieface 4/29/2009, 3:48 am

BDazzpugs wrote:The only thing we have a problem with is sand fleas, I wonder if the Advantix would work on Adrian?

Why don't you feed him some brewer's yeast and let us know? Twisted Evil
smoochieface
smoochieface

Number of posts : 5123

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 6/4/2009, 12:07 am

I'm not a huge fan of the chemical flea and tick products. But I do understand the need for them, especially in places where there is an abundance of these pests. I like to search for herbal remedies for most things I can help prevent. I found a little article I bookmarked that lists a few natural alternatives to preventing fleas and ticks. http://www.gomestic.com/Pets/Natural-Fle... I've been following this for 2 years now and it's been working great. Keep in mind we do go out often to parks and hiking trails. Even if it isn't 100% effective, the general health of my dog has improved.

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugs4me 6/4/2009, 10:02 am

Mine get Interceptor monthly for HW and other parasites then I use Frontline plus every 2-3 months from April until October.
Pugs4me
Pugs4me

Number of posts : 405

Back to top Go down

Post  TNPUGMOMOF3 6/4/2009, 10:16 am

Pugs4me wrote:Mine get Interceptor monthly for HW and other parasites then I use Frontline plus every 2-3 months from April until October.

Me too...
TNPUGMOMOF3
TNPUGMOMOF3

Number of posts : 1982

Back to top Go down

Post  Mel 6/4/2009, 11:30 am

good thing about living in the desert....no fleas. cheers
Mel
Mel

Number of posts : 3270

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next