Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Flea prevention, let's chat.

+20
GracieNEmma
MackandMattiesMom
Tyson&LuLu'sMom
Mel
TNPUGMOMOF3
Pugs4me
ForeverHopper
northernwitch
Newsie96
LisaIzzyAggy
MommaJones
Not Afraid
smoochieface
BDazzpugs
Amanda
Katie & Stella
dieselsmom
GingerSnap
papaspugs
Sara
24 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Flea prevention, let's chat. - Page 2 Empty Re: Flea prevention, let's chat.

Post  Tyson&LuLu'sMom 6/4/2009, 11:35 am

Tyson & LuLu get Interceptor once a month, and we use a natural Neem proctect shampoo/spray combination during the summer months.
http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/products/Ark-Naturals-Neem-Protect-Shampoo/121021.aspx
Tyson&LuLu'sMom
Tyson&LuLu'sMom

Number of posts : 3776

Back to top Go down

Post  MackandMattiesMom 6/4/2009, 2:04 pm

Mack and Mattie aren't on anything. They've never had fleas so I don't treat them for it. I try to keep them as chemical free as possible. They do get heartworm medicine every month because mosquitoes are so bad here and heartworm is rampant.
MackandMattiesMom
MackandMattiesMom

Number of posts : 2609

Back to top Go down

Post  GracieNEmma 6/4/2009, 3:05 pm

I use Sentinel for my girls. If they ever do have a flea outbreak (which we never have had) I'll give them Confortis. I'm sure many of you have heard about it already but it's a flea preventative that is taken orally. I try to stay away from the liquid stuff, especially how harsh some of that is on their skin.
GracieNEmma
GracieNEmma

Number of posts : 1065

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 6/4/2009, 5:15 pm

Pugs4me wrote:Mine get Interceptor monthly for HW and other parasites then I use Frontline plus every 2-3 months from April until October.

Me too although I may use the Frontline Plus longer than October - we don't usually get a freeze to kill the fleas that early.

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryjo 6/4/2009, 7:04 pm

My solution: move to Alaska! hug dog

Up here, there are no fleas, ticks, poison ivy, skunks, snakes or heartworm-carrying mosquitoes (Ok, plenty of regular mosquitoes, but not the bad ones.)

(We won't mention earthquakes, blizzards, volcanoes or 100-mph-winds...) Laughing

<<running to hide behind the couch now... Flea prevention, let's chat. - Page 2 Couch
Maryjo
Maryjo

Number of posts : 4954

http://www.maryjoalaska.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  pugpillow 6/30/2009, 2:29 pm

I've been reading Don Hamilton's Homeopathic Care for Cats & Dogs and he talks about various herbal rinses which can repel fleas - lavendar, eucalyptus and pennyroyal (on dogs but not cats). He also recommends a lemon rinse - "steep a cut-up lemon or two in a quart of boiling water and allow to cool. Use the liquid as a rinse or sponge it onto the coat."
pugpillow
pugpillow

Number of posts : 944

Back to top Go down

Post  leslyeb 6/30/2009, 6:46 pm

The woman who runs the Music City Pug Rescue swears by this mixture. She is strictly a holistic person and does not use any chemicals.

Take 1 lemon and cut in thin, round pieces and place in bowl

Add 2 tsp of either dried or fresh Rosemary and add to bowl

Take 1 quart of water and pour in bowl and let sit overnight.

Strain and pour into a water bottle.

You will then squirt the fur on the animals.

I haven't tried it as I am just too afraid of getting a flea infestation.
leslyeb
leslyeb

Number of posts : 707

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 6/30/2009, 9:39 pm

Mel wrote:good thing about living in the desert....no fleas. cheers

Amen, Mel! Penny gets the Heartguard May through October (there actually have been a couple of cases of heartworm in Nevada)(!), and she gets Frontline when we are going to flea country. She got it before we did a California vacation in April, and she's gonna get some before we do the Colorado/Ohio/Connecticut/Indiana/Utah trip this summer. She got fleas right before we left Ohio - I'd been doing the natural thing with citronella and lemon oil, and poor baby got infested. Swear
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2