Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Yeast - Any advice?

4 posters

Go down

Yeast - Any advice? Empty Yeast - Any advice?

Post  Amanda 12/13/2009, 3:48 pm

As most of you know, we've always struggled with skin issues with Nell. We've pretty much tried everything diet-wise. Not long ago, we finally tried steroids and they worked but I'm not comfortable with her being on them long term. A few months ago, we went back to the vet to discuss alternatives (again) and he did a scraping and found alot of yeast, especially between her toes. Every time she has a scraping there's usually yeast or a combo of yeast and bacteria. So we started ketoconazole for the yeast and it helped. We've used that before but our previous vet would only prescribe it for a short period. The vet wanted to try her on a long course of it then try her off of it for a while to see how she did. We did that, took her off for a short time and she started itching again so we did another course. Now she's been off about 4 months and has started itching again. Whenever the yeast flares up she shows the same symptoms, biting her feet, her ears flare up and her anal glands act up. So we're going to do another course of the meds but do you have any suggestions for supplements or anything else that may help with the yeast issue? I don't think at this point (and the vet agrees) that it's diet related because we've really tried everything and nothing seems to make a difference. If I'm missing something diet-wise, let me know. We've done every protein source, grain free, raw (different proteins). It seems she just has, for whatever reason, a naturally occurring overgrowth of yeast in her system. We can calm it down with the meds but then it slowly starts to build back up over time until she starts getting itchy again.
Amanda
Amanda

Number of posts : 6990

http://www.pugauthority.com

Back to top Go down

Yeast - Any advice? Empty Re: Yeast - Any advice?

Post  northernwitch 12/13/2009, 4:02 pm

Tank is my yeast guy. I have found that a very low dose of pred (1.25 mg every third day) seems to keep his issues under control. and I use Nizoral shampoo on him (can get it at the drug store) when I do bathe him. He gets bathed more often than the others because of his propensity to get yeasty--maybe every 6 to 8 weeks he gets bathed.

He also gets other skin issues and I think that he has had bad skin issues for so many years that he is just inclined to a yeast contagion if I'm not super careful with him.

He has multiple allergies--food, environmental, seasonal, etc. So it's a juggling act with him. I feel for you, Amanda and for Nell. It's frustrating as hell. Can she tolerate some active culture yogourt? If not, then I've used the acidophilus capsules with reasonable success.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda 12/13/2009, 4:20 pm

I, too, bathe Nell more frequently and it does provide her with some relief but it's short lived. I also have some spray from the vet for her feet (the name escapes me at the moment) but I haven't really seen that make a huge difference. She handles yogurt fine but it doesn't really seem to do much. Maybe I'll just try acidophilus capsules. Perhaps they'll pack a little more punch. I'll try the Nizoral shampoo too. I have some shampoo from the vet that helps a bit but it's a tiny bottle and pricey. I have an ear wash that does help and I try to use that on a regular basis but she's such a spaz about doing stuff like ears drops/meds that it's a constant battle and gets her all worked up. If I can keep the yeast levels under control in general, her ears are usually ok.
Amanda
Amanda

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda 12/13/2009, 4:26 pm

Hmmm...just noticed online that Ketocconazole is just the generic name for Nizoral. Never knew that. That's good to know since the oral meds help, the shampoo definitely should.
Amanda
Amanda

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 12/13/2009, 4:36 pm

Amanda wrote:I, too, bathe Nell more frequently and it does provide her with some relief but it's short lived. I also have some spray from the vet for her feet (the name escapes me at the moment) but I haven't really seen that make a huge difference. She handles yogurt fine but it doesn't really seem to do much. Maybe I'll just try acidophilus capsules. Perhaps they'll pack a little more punch. I'll try the Nizoral shampoo too. I have some shampoo from the vet that helps a bit but it's a tiny bottle and pricey. I have an ear wash that does help and I try to use that on a regular basis but she's such a spaz about doing stuff like ears drops/meds that it's a constant battle and gets her all worked up. If I can keep the yeast levels under control in general, her ears are usually ok.
The plus about the nizoral shampoo is that it has the Keton whatever it is in it and that helps with fighting the yeasties. He was also on a 4 to 6 week long dose of cephalexin due to an ongoing staph skin infection and that made a difference.

The other thing that was suggested to me is to eliminate all foods that might convert to sugar in his system--which is harder to figure out than you might think--and REALLY limits what they can eat.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda 12/13/2009, 4:42 pm

northernwitch wrote:

The other thing that was suggested to me is to eliminate all foods that might convert to sugar in his system--which is harder to figure out than you might think--and REALLY limits what they can eat.
Oh yea, it's hard! I played the 'carbs/sugar feed cancer' game with Hoover while he was sick.
Amanda
Amanda

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 12/13/2009, 4:48 pm

Amanda wrote:
northernwitch wrote:

Oh yea, it's hard! I played the 'carbs/sugar feed cancer' game with Hoover while he was sick.
Yep--I did the same when Pete had malignant melanoma.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 12/13/2009, 10:18 pm

The Ketaconazole/Nizoral shampoo makes a lot of sense. So does the low dose prednisone, although I am not fond of steroids, either. Penny gets yeasty and bacterial ears whenever she gets wheat, which I know is not an issue for you, Amanda. Just good wishes for Nell, and please give her a gentle hug from us. Yeast - Any advice? 335895
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 12/13/2009, 10:23 pm

Pugsaunt wrote:The Ketaconazole/Nizoral shampoo makes a lot of sense. So does the low dose prednisone, although I am not fond of steroids, either. Penny gets yeasty and bacterial ears whenever she gets wheat, which I know is not an issue for you, Amanda. Just good wishes for Nell, and please give her a gentle hug from us. Yeast - Any advice? 335895
I'm not a huge fan of pred myself since I've seen the damage it can do when used for long periods of time at a high dose--and Tank shows that kind of usage. But he's down from 20 mgs a day to 1.25 every third day and that seems to keep his itchies under control--pred isn't effective on food allergies, actually, but does help with the others.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 12/13/2009, 10:27 pm

northernwitch wrote:
Pugsaunt wrote:The Ketaconazole/Nizoral shampoo makes a lot of sense. So does the low dose prednisone, although I am not fond of steroids, either. Penny gets yeasty and bacterial ears whenever she gets wheat, which I know is not an issue for you, Amanda. Just good wishes for Nell, and please give her a gentle hug from us. Yeast - Any advice? 335895
I'm not a huge fan of pred myself since I've seen the damage it can do when used for long periods of time at a high dose--and Tank shows that kind of usage. But he's down from 20 mgs a day to 1.25 every third day and that seems to keep his itchies under control--pred isn't effective on food allergies, actually, but does help with the others.
20 mg of pred for a pug? Yowza, that is a lot!!!! When I'm on 20 mg a day for my asthma, I'm a cleaning/eating/bitching maniac!!!!! I'm glad that the pred helps Tank's itchies. It's not an antihistamine, but it sure is a good antiinflammatory.
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid 12/14/2009, 12:46 am

Have you tried a probiotic supplement with Nell? I know a few English Bulldogs that have yeast issues that have been controlled with a probiotic supplement. I know Flying Basset has a good one.
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Number of posts : 5095

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda 12/14/2009, 12:54 pm

Not Afraid wrote:Have you tried a probiotic supplement with Nell? I know a few English Bulldogs that have yeast issues that have been controlled with a probiotic supplement. I know Flying Basset has a good one.
I'll check it out. Thanks!
Amanda
Amanda

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda 12/14/2009, 12:56 pm

Yes, the steroids worked wonders for Nell's itchies but the increased appetite alone was almost enough to make it not worth it with a pug who is already so food obsessed. She also immediately started to gain weight and started limping. As soon as the weight came off, the limping stopped. Now that she's 8, I don't want to do any unnecessary damage to her joints.
Amanda
Amanda

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down