Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Had to change Ollies food AGAIN

+4
sallyandtilly
smoochieface
Renee
pugfish
8 posters

Go down

Had to change Ollies food AGAIN Empty Had to change Ollies food AGAIN

Post  pugfish 1/5/2011, 4:45 pm

She was on the Natural Balance fish and sweet taters. Well she sarted to get a smell to her skin almost like a wet smell and ear infections up the wazzuuu. So now She is on Nature's recipe grain free chicken sweet tatters and pumpkin....its a new product by them. When I went to petco the blue rep was there. I spoke with her and I just dont feel comfortable giving ollie somethng that was recalled. So far so good and she is taking to it very very well.
pugfish
pugfish

Number of posts : 112

Back to top Go down

Had to change Ollies food AGAIN Empty Re: Had to change Ollies food AGAIN

Post  Renee 1/5/2011, 4:51 pm

If she was getting a wet smell and ear infections - the sweet potatoes may be contributing to yeast production, in which case you may want to try a formula that does not use potatoes or sweet potatoes. I know most grain free does, so maybe you want to try a formula was a single grain like rice? Or, I have heard there is a grain free that uses tapioca instead of potatoes.
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  smoochieface 1/5/2011, 5:45 pm

Renee wrote:If she was getting a wet smell and ear infections - the sweet potatoes may be contributing to yeast production, in which case you may want to try a formula that does not use potatoes or sweet potatoes. I know most grain free does, so maybe you want to try a formula was a single grain like rice? Or, I have heard there is a grain free that uses tapioca instead of potatoes.

Absolutely. The sweet potatoes cause yeast infections. All three of my boys are very prone to yeast infections in their ears so no type of potato for them. And we really limit the carrots, too, because that also converst to sugar that causes yeast infections. 99% of all grain-free kibble uses potato or sweet potato as a binder. There are a few products that use peas, or tapioca (as Renee mentioned) as a binder so you can look for those.

We've had fewer problems with single grain, single protein foods that use rice. Or there is always raw.
smoochieface
smoochieface

Number of posts : 5123

Back to top Go down

Post  sallyandtilly 1/5/2011, 7:42 pm

I didn't know that about the sweet potato/potato yeast thing.
sallyandtilly
sallyandtilly

Number of posts : 3150

Back to top Go down

Post  smoochieface 1/5/2011, 7:50 pm

sallyandtilly wrote:I didn't know that about the sweet potato/potato yeast thing.

Sally, I didn't learn about it until earlier this year and our boys have been struggling with yeasty ears pretty much all their lives. Hugs improvement since we went no potato.
smoochieface
smoochieface

Number of posts : 5123

Back to top Go down

Post  LisaIzzyAggy 1/5/2011, 8:05 pm

Izzy can't have sweet potatoes or carrots. We use duck & potato (white) and she's been fine.
LisaIzzyAggy
LisaIzzyAggy

Number of posts : 3001

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 1/5/2011, 8:27 pm

smoochieface wrote:
sallyandtilly wrote:I didn't know that about the sweet potato/potato yeast thing.

Sally, I didn't learn about it until earlier this year and our boys have been struggling with yeasty ears pretty much all their lives. Hugs improvement since we went no potato.
It has to do with the fact that these carbs convert to sugar and yeast LOVES sugar. Any dog with yeast issues needs to avoid the high glycemic veggies and virtually all fruit. I learned this lesson with Tank and Theo.....
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Had to change Ollies food AGAIN Empty yeast

Post  Miss Pugg 1/5/2011, 9:43 pm

Willow has yeasty ears. She's is intolerant of most foods except Solid Gold which is what I feed her & Jasmine. I'll have to check to see if it contains potatoes. If it does, we're up a creek with no paddle. She is to be rechecked in 2 weeks for the yeast and also elevated white blood cells, on Clavamox again for another 2 weeks.
Miss Pugg
Miss Pugg

Number of posts : 659

Back to top Go down

Post  PugLady3 1/6/2011, 11:12 am

One of our foster mom's swears by Canine Caviar's venison & split pea food for her allergy/yeasty pugs. I've never tried it personally but I've seen the results that she's gotten on some of our worst cases & I'd have to say that it's good stuff.

http://www.caninecaviar.com/Venision%20And%20Split%20Pea.aspx
PugLady3
PugLady3

Number of posts : 2562

http://www.northernillinoispugrescue.org

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 1/6/2011, 2:11 pm

Miss Pugg wrote:Willow has yeasty ears. She's is intolerant of most foods except Solid Gold which is what I feed her & Jasmine. I'll have to check to see if it contains potatoes. If it does, we're up a creek with no paddle. She is to be rechecked in 2 weeks for the yeast and also elevated white blood cells, on Clavamox again for another 2 weeks.
Joanne:
the best things I've found antibiotic wise for yeast dogs are Ketoconazol (sp?) and cephalexin. I haven't used the Ketoconazol, but I think Hilary has. I've had good success with LONG courses of cephalexin for my yeast dogs--4 to 6 weeks.

There is also Itraconazol for dogs with systemic yeast, but it is very expensive and requires close monitoring during use as it has some side effects, especially to the liver.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee 1/6/2011, 2:17 pm

northernwitch wrote:
Miss Pugg wrote:Willow has yeasty ears. She's is intolerant of most foods except Solid Gold which is what I feed her & Jasmine. I'll have to check to see if it contains potatoes. If it does, we're up a creek with no paddle. She is to be rechecked in 2 weeks for the yeast and also elevated white blood cells, on Clavamox again for another 2 weeks.
Joanne:
the best things I've found antibiotic wise for yeast dogs are Ketoconazol (sp?) and cephalexin. I haven't used the Ketoconazol, but I think Hilary has. I've had good success with LONG courses of cephalexin for my yeast dogs--4 to 6 weeks.

There is also Itraconazol for dogs with systemic yeast, but it is very expensive and requires close monitoring during use as it has some side effects, especially to the liver.

I have used the Ketaconzol (I don't know the spelling either!), and it did work well. I did a dose of that, for 2-3 weeks, and a good diet change.
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down