Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ollies food change, again.

3 posters

Go down

Ollies food change, again. Empty Ollies food change, again.

Post  pugfish 9/21/2010, 4:05 pm

So about 2 weeks ago we changed ollies food and she wants nothing to do with it. She wont eat her new food, we did mix in her old food with it and she would dig out her old food and only eat that. So I went to petco today and changed her food out again. I had bought 'WELLNESS small breed' for her last time I changed her food and I went back and exchanged it for 'Natural Balance L.I.D. Sweet Potato & Bison Dry Dog Food' So fingers crossed she likes this one. Are there any other foods petco carries I should try? I asked the people there but I trust my fellow puggers better.
pugfish
pugfish

Number of posts : 112

Back to top Go down

Ollies food change, again. Empty Re: Ollies food change, again.

Post  Renee 9/21/2010, 4:15 pm

I have used Wellness Core for fosters, and also Natural Balance LID Fish and Sweet Potato.

I don't think Petco carries Orijen, which is very popular.

Maybe try mixing in some canned food? Or, letting it soak in a little hot water?

How long did you give her to get used to it? I have found that during a food switch some dogs will take a few days to try the new food. Of course, mine will eat anything....but, I've had fosters wait for days before resigning themselves to new food.
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  pugfish 9/21/2010, 4:23 pm

We had been trying to change her over for about 2 weeks the last 4 days I took her old food off the menu and then she wouldnt eat unless she was starving. Tonight for dinner is when she will get the 'new' food. I was up in the air on getting blue buff. cause thats another brand I was told was good food. Mind you I am taking her off of royal canin cause I read/looked up the ingredents and pretty much all of them were in the red when it came to healthyness.
pugfish
pugfish

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee 9/21/2010, 4:41 pm

Yes, I just looked up the ingredients in Royal Canin too. Yikes, grains in 4 of the top 5 ingredients. And, a plethora of grains at that!

If she doesn't eat for a few days, except when starving, you are probably safe to stick it out. But, since you switched, see how she likes the new stuff. I would try and make it more appetizing, like I suggested, by putting warm water in it, or some canned food.

If you go back to Wellness, the one I use is the Wellness Core Oceans Formula. It is grain free, and made with fish.
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  pugfish 9/21/2010, 4:50 pm

I think the wellness kibble was too small(the wellness for small breeds) and maybe that had something to do with it. I even tried feeding it to her like it was a treat and she looked at me like "listen here lady you can fool me, my treats have real blueberries in them" Yeah that royal canin is horrible food and when I really thought about it. Im spending just as much money if not more on that food(royal canin) when I could get something better for her. What are your thoughts on blue buffalo?
pugfish
pugfish

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 9/21/2010, 5:10 pm

pugfish wrote:I think the wellness kibble was too small(the wellness for small breeds) and maybe that had something to do with it. I even tried feeding it to her like it was a treat and she looked at me like "listen here lady you can fool me, my treats have real blueberries in them" Yeah that royal canin is horrible food and when I really thought about it. Im spending just as much money if not more on that food(royal canin) when I could get something better for her. What are your thoughts on blue buffalo?
Look farther down this section of the forum--I posted a bit of a warning about Blue Buffalo.

I don't have a Petco up here (that I'm aware of) so don't know what's available. As for grain free stuff, Wellness Core is great, as are Orijen, Acana, Fromm's Surf and Turf, Go!, BG by Merricks, Natural Balance LID. My only caustion about the bison formula is that some dogs that don't do well with beef, don't do well with bison, but not all of them. My guys all do badly with beef, but half are fine with Bison--don't ask me why.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  pugfish 9/21/2010, 6:39 pm

I guess Ill try this. I put her dinner down and she looked at it funny and took a piece and wondered off with it then came back and sniffed for a while. So we will see.
pugfish
pugfish

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down