Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

the yeast.

4 posters

Go down

the yeast. Empty the yeast.

Post  Tom&Onyx 2/2/2011, 3:01 pm

alright guys this is how it all starts...
the yeast. 46a3a6bd

It being yeast, my vet never told me carrots were an issue to feed as he knows I don't give Onyx dog treats but veggies instead. I have had him on grain-free food for ages now. Being on a grain free, I assume this is whats caused him to get no more ear infections (yeast build-up in the ears) in which was happening just as constant as the yeast breakouts on his body. Onyx hasn't had any ear problems is at least a year and a half now probably closer to 2 years. I clean his ears and folds regularly too. His coat is shiny and I'm told he's very healthy aside from these constant yeasty breakouts in the groin area as shown and under his arm pits where its a deep and dark place, where it grows. I am definitely interested in learning more about the Honest Kitchen food to start off and then possibly branch out to the raw when I get more comfortable.

My vet gives temporary fixes to the yeast, puts him on the antibiotics (spray/cream and a pill). It clears up completely within 7 days, but is right back within 2 days of being off of the medicine. I figure showing a pic and giving a brief description of things is a good starting ground for you guys.I'm definitely interested in hearing about that lotion one of you mentioned on my introduction too. Look forward to hearing back from you all!
Tom&Onyx
Tom&Onyx

Number of posts : 25

Back to top Go down

the yeast. Empty Re: the yeast.

Post  northernwitch 2/2/2011, 4:48 pm

Tom:
Check out my post in this section called Yeast, Allergies and other Ickies. There's a whole run down of what I've done with Tank.

Here's an early pic of his yeast belly--this would be two or 2.5 years ago:
[img]the yeast. Bellyboy[/img]
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom&Onyx 2/2/2011, 4:50 pm

That picture is horrifying. My moms black pug named Pickles looks a lot like that with the hair loss etc. but not as horrible. Ill go and check that out now.
Tom&Onyx
Tom&Onyx

Number of posts : 25

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee 2/2/2011, 4:55 pm

Poor Tank! Thanks for posting that picture Blanche.

I have to be honest Tom - Onyx's yeast looks mild to moderate. I absolutely think you can get it under control! Read Blanche's awesome post about Allergies, Yeast, Etc. I think you'll get some really good information in there.

A lot of us do feed Honest Kitchen. You'll get great advice and testimonials from all of us on that count. And, there are really great threads on here about raw feeding too.
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 2/2/2011, 5:00 pm

Tom&Onyx wrote:That picture is horrifying. My moms black pug named Pickles looks a lot like that with the hair loss etc. but not as horrible. Ill go and check that out now.
Well, 8.5 years of vet diets and prednisone will do that to a dog. He's WAY better now, but it's been an involved project. If I can get a pic of the "improved belly", I will....

This is his neck--again, this picture is 18 months old and up until about a year ago, he shed hugh flaps of dead skin off the neck every 6 weeks. In the last 3 months we are finally seeing some pink on that neck. Mind you, he was in a strangulation tight collar (we had to cut it off with scissors) when he came in so that neck may never be normal.
[img]the yeast. Yeast4[/img]

This is the belly 18 months ago--improved:
[img]the yeast. Yeast5[/img]
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  GingerSnap 2/2/2011, 5:02 pm

Tom, the grain-free Honest Kitchen varieties are Force (chicken), Embark (turkey), and Zeal (fish). Unfortunately, they don't have any truly unique protein foods, so hopefully there's not a real protein allergy going on.
GingerSnap
GingerSnap

Number of posts : 3547

Back to top Go down

Post  GingerSnap 2/2/2011, 5:38 pm

Another option I've been thinking about that I've never tried personally but has gotten good reviews from some is ZiwiPeak. It's a dehydrated raw, similar to Honest Kitchen, but the ingredients are a little simpler and it seem to avoid some of the ingredients that Blanche has had an issue with for Tank. Just a thought!
GingerSnap
GingerSnap

Number of posts : 3547

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down