Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Throwing up her food

+4
Aussie Witch
Snifter&Toddy
TxAllieGrl
GracieNEmma
8 posters

Go down

Throwing up her food Empty Throwing up her food

Post  GracieNEmma 2/17/2010, 11:13 am

I took the girls to the vet for their yearly on Monday. While I was there, I asked about Gracie regurgitating her food. In the beginning of Dec, she did it for 3 days in a row. I got a little nervous that she may be blocked so I took her to the vet. Thankfully she wasn't and my vet just thought that she may have gotten in to something that didn't agree with her. We were fine for 2 months. 2 weeks ago she threw up her breakfast, then it was a week later and she threw up her dinner. She hasn't done it since. She doesn't give any signs that she's gonna get sick, she just throws it up (regurgitates). So, while I was there I asked about this again. My vet isn't really too sure. Because it happens so sporadically, she has weighed out it being any type of object in her throat and also weighed out it being mega esophagus. She is thinking that she can't handle her food anymore. I feed them raw and I've been doing so for over 3 years now. I did blood work for them and I'm waiting to hear back about that. I hate to even question my vet, I trust her 100% but I'm wondering if it really could be her food. Has anyone experienced anything like this? I'm wondering if it's reflux? I just feel like if it were her food not agreeing with her, she would be getting sick more often. ?????? Sometimes she's hyper after dinner so I could see it happening then. But other times, she's just laying on the couch or in bed. And she seems to burp a lot and almost like she's bringing a little bit back up when she burps sometimes. Sorry to be so graphic but hoping someone has some feedback or ideas on what it could be? Or could it really be her food?
GracieNEmma
GracieNEmma

Number of posts : 1065

Back to top Go down

Throwing up her food Empty Re: Throwing up her food

Post  TxAllieGrl 2/17/2010, 11:33 am

when does she throw it up? shortly after eating, or does it take a while? does she eat super fast?

Bello and Angel regurgitate. Angel's is b/c she does have a narrowed esophagus, and Bello b/c he's a piggie.

It was suggested to me to elevate their bowls, and then put a ball or something in Bello's to slow his eating down.

Not sure if that's what's going on with Gracie or not... just thought I'd throw that out there.

TxAllieGrl

Number of posts : 5801

Back to top Go down

Post  Snifter&Toddy 2/17/2010, 1:18 pm

Does she try to re-eat it?

Toddy will regurgitate his kibble on a fairly regular basis. Probably once a fortnight or so. Typically he'll do it a couple of times over a 24 hour period and will usually want to eat it up again. I think it is because he eats it too fast. He does not have any particular time of day he will do it so it doesn't seem to bear any huge relation to when he last ate, slept or exercised.

So long as he wants to re-eat I don't bother all that much and haven't raised the issue with the vet. But if he was having that burping type thing you describe them I would be wondering whether something was going on.

Sorry, this is probably not all that helpful.
Snifter&Toddy
Snifter&Toddy

Number of posts : 2071

Back to top Go down

Post  GracieNEmma 2/17/2010, 1:23 pm

Thanks for the feedback so far. Sometimes she throws it up within 10 minutes, sometimes it's an hour, sometimes 2 hours. And she does, always, try to eat it up after she does. I do have their bowls on one of those elevated things too. I think she does eat fast but they both do. But I guess her tummy can't handle the eating fast and maybe Emma's can? Maybe I should try to put a ball in there. I did try giving her half of her food and when she was done, give her the other half but she thought I was trying to hurry or take it away because when I went to give her the other half, she was trying to eat even faster. So, I'm not going to do that any more.
GracieNEmma
GracieNEmma

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch 2/17/2010, 1:53 pm

I'm sorry your girl is having issues Darci. Is it possible to give her her food spread out over a few small meals and see if that helps? I hope you can find an answer. Throwing up her food 335895
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2/17/2010, 2:32 pm

It sounds like something Viv went thru a while back. She did this on and off for a few months, took her to the vet twice nothing showed up. Luckily she has stopped, I chalked it up to a bug of some sort. Hopefully this is the case for you.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2/17/2010, 3:23 pm

Hope that this isn't anything serious...just some tummy bug. I hope she feels better soon!

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid 2/17/2010, 3:50 pm

I would try the suggestion of putting a kong or ball in her bowl to slow her eating. You can also get a bowl designed for this. Break-Fast Bowl. Have you tried giving her pepcid at all? I have taken care of a lot of dogs and cats that took pepcid and it helped.
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Number of posts : 5095

Back to top Go down

Post  Amber 2/17/2010, 5:52 pm

Genie was going through this same thing and we ended up just switching her food and it has not occured again. The new food is a much smaller pellet that the old one so perhaps that's what it was.
Amber
Amber

Number of posts : 2080

http://www.lotusblossomphotography.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 2/18/2010, 5:56 pm

Peg's Bogie does the barfing thing too, and she gives him a daily Pepcid at dinner. Works wonders, and now he only barfs on days he doesn't get the Pepcid.
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  papaspugs 2/18/2010, 9:02 pm

My first thought was eating too fast too. We used to have to put a kong in Louise's bowl because she would eat so fast. Maybe try that first and then just go by process of elimination.
papaspugs
papaspugs

Number of posts : 2297

Back to top Go down

Post  GracieNEmma 2/19/2010, 10:16 am

Thanks for all the feedback. I think I'm going to try the Kong thing or that bowl with the ball in the center. We've been good so far (it's been 2 weeks) and I've just been making sure that she's not running around and playing real rough after she's done eating. And I've been keeping Emma away from Gracie while she finishes eating since Emma always seems to beat Gracie at eating their food and she comes around and licks up what Gracie dropped on the floor. I think this may make Gracie rush too. Thanks again for all the ideas. I'm hoping that's all it is.

ETA: All her blood work came back normal, which is good. Throwing up her food Icon_biggrin
GracieNEmma
GracieNEmma

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down